Need a heavy duty oil recommendation for old car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm putting my 26 year old 5.0L Mustang back into service. Its been sitting most of the time for the last 5 years. I'm going to start driving it regularly in a week or so.
The problem I have is what HDEO should I run? The car uses oil. The warm weather is here and I will be changing it again in the fall to a lighter oil, but for now I want an oil with good anti-wear additives and probably a 15W-40 grade. The manual specs out a 10w-30 or 10w-40.
Here's the question... What are some cheap heavy duty oils that I might find at Walmart that will satisfy this engine's need for a robust anti-wear package and its thirst for drinking oil? Are there any oils still out there that have the old levels of ZDDP in them? These engines have been known to show wear with heavy use and abuse when operated on modern, low ZDDP oil. They were designed for high ZDDP.
Is there a cheap 10W HDEO? Or should I be looking for a 15W?
All recommendations are appreciated.

Any and all are good. My oil burning saturns like Pennzoil LL, which is hard to find-- try rotella-- but are meh on delo. Even supertech gets rave reviews.

The cheapest 15w-40 at Walmart is probably Supertech. Rotella or Delvac would be a few dollars more.

I am not so sure I agree with the ZDDP requirements, these engines use a roller cam. Any 10w-30 would be fine, but if the engine is tired a thicker viscosity may help with consumption.

Have you checked the PCV valve & screen at the back of the intake manifold? the screen is known to get clogged over time, and will leak to increased oil leaks & consumption. I had an '89 5.0 that leaked a lot of oil and I found that screen PLUGGED.

Just shooting from the hip here!

How about some QS DEFY HM! This may in time, help control the oil loss. It has the zinc that you want but, not necessary for a roller cam, is still SN rated(IIRC) but, not energy conserving, 10W40 is available but, IDK about 15W40, it's cheap(like in the $15-$16 range for 5qt jug) and I believe it has the other additives that your 5.0 requires.
smile.gif

Or maybe, SuperTech 15W40...Cheap, or Cheap(er)! It has the high Zinc/Phos #'s but, low on the calcium. The higher magnesium may be the other added chem.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/May 2013/supertech.htm

Last edited:
Go look at Petroleum quality institute of America. They have analyzed HDEO and many passenger car motor oils and have given you the numbers for the make up of the oil. Enjoy the reading of the analysis of your oil. They can help you make an educated decision.

I don't think you "need" an HDEO, but if that's what you seek, then the ST brand 15w-40 is every bit as capable for your likely OCIs. Easy to get, inexpensive, and fully capable; what more could you want?

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
The cheapest 15w-40 at Walmart is probably Supertech. Rotella or Delvac would be a few dollars more.

I am not so sure I agree with the ZDDP requirements, these engines use a roller cam. Any 10w-30 would be fine, but if the engine is tired a thicker viscosity may help with consumption.

Have you checked the PCV valve & screen at the back of the intake manifold? the screen is known to get clogged over time, and will leak to increased oil leaks & consumption. I had an '89 5.0 that leaked a lot of oil and I found that screen PLUGGED.

Hello!
Do you (or anyone else on Bitog) actually know if similar oil leaks via the PCV valve are possible in Toyota Corolla year 2009 model 1.8Liter engines ?
If yes, does the Toyota also have a similar "screen at the back of the intake manifold" like the one you have mentioned above ?

Thanks!

Being an 1988 5.0L, it doesn't need a high ZDDP oil, it has light springs and roller lifters assuming the engine is stock. It is also relatively low power density at 225HP.

I have a lot of experience with these engines.

As Rob_Roy noted, the first thing I would check would be the PCV screen, which usually never gets changed and oil consumption is the result. You can buy the entire screen assembly from Ford for quite cheap, and I'd recommend a new valve at that time as well.

The engine doesn't need an HDEO, especially if it is stock. My oil of choice for these engines is M1 0w-40, but I wouldn't run that if yours is drinking oil at this point. If consumption is reduced considerably by the screen replacement, then M1 0w-40 would then be a good choice.

Any cheap 5w-30 is more than enough for this engine in stock form. If you are ultra-keen on an HDEO, just use Rotella 10w-30, as the 15w-40 is overkill.

auto zone has the screens too. the grommets get hard, shrink and leak also. change valve, grommet and screen

Do you (or anyone else on Bitog) actually know if similar oil leaks via the PCV valve are possible in Toyota Corolla year 2009 model 1.8Liter engines ?
If yes, does the Toyota also have a similar "screen at the back of the intake manifold" like the one you have mentioned above ?

Thanks! [/quote]

Are you having oil burning issues?

Toyota 1.8 ltrs are known to burn oil, especially using 5w30

Have a look in your manual to see if they give you an alternative viscosity recommendation like a 10w40

It's doubtful that anything will be wrong with a 2009 Toyota yet, except for recalls…...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 95busa
auto zone has the screens too. the grommets get hard, shrink and leak also. change valve, grommet and screen

Yes. Then, get some Maxlife 10w-40 and you'll be set.

Rotella or Delo 15w40 should be around $12-14 per gallon at Walmart. I like the additive package in Delo a little better, has around 1300-1400 ppm zinc.
Most Walmarts also carry Rotella 10w30 synthetic blend.

Originally Posted By: OAS
Why not RTS 5-40 blue jug?

His engine burns so much oil that premium oil doesn't make financial sense.

I'd use a 10W-30 or 10W-40 high mileage oil, that's all you need. Maybe QS Defy is a good choice, Mobil 1 HM in the above weights would also work well I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back