Brand new ancient QS 10-20w30 in my '70 Datsun 510

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you may know that I have a stash of vintage oil going back to the early 1960s. I am currently running 10 W 40 Quaker State from a 1973 in my 1973 Datsun 240 Z. I just picked up a 1971 Datsun 510 station wagon that I am going to run some of the old Quaker state super blend in as well. The weight on the top says 10–20 W 30.

The filter is going to be an oversized Fram PH8A that is about 1 1/2 times larger than the stock oil filter. Oil pressure is 60 psi cold startup and sounds good. I may run this for a year or so which should include some autocrosses, mountain runs, and around town driving then get an oil analysis done.

This car has a built high compression 2.0 L20B with headwork and a cam backed by a 280z 5 speed. It has full coilover suspension and swaybars. I picked it up as a neat little parts hauler for my 240z but It feels like this thing would actually out pull the z on the top end.

image_zps55267dfd.jpg

image_zps1021aec0.jpg

image_zpsec0c094a.jpg

image_zpsa664345a.jpg

image_zpsd98e2a45.jpg

Nice!
Is this the two liter used in the late Datsun ragtop?
That is a screamer even in stock form.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Nice!
Is this the two liter used in the late Datsun ragtop?
That is a screamer even in stock form.

That was the U20. The L20b came in lots of stuff but mainly the trucks with 110 hp. This replaces the stock 1.6 this car would have come with.

With the performance mods, I have a redline at 7500 and close to 140 hp at the flywheel. It moves a lightweight car through the turns pretty well!

Gotcha.
I thought that the 510s used a SOHC 1.6 liter and had no idea that Datsun made two different SOHC 2 liter engines.
Was the home market Fairlady Z 2 liter built with this four or a destroked/debored six?
Do I spy a brace of Hitachi SUs on your 510?

What a nice find on this neat old car. You might want to store the oil cans upside down for a while and then shake them before you put the oil into the car. Some additives may have settled. It would also be quite interesting to do UOA after say 3000 miles or so. Keep us posted.

Sweet little Datsun! ... and in Acworth no less! That's where I am too! I'll keep my eyes peeled for this neat ride.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Gotcha.
I thought that the 510s used a SOHC 1.6 liter and had no idea that Datsun made two different SOHC 2 liter engines.
Was the home market Fairlady Z 2 liter built with this four or a destroked/debored six?
Do I spy a brace of Hitachi SUs on your 510?

The 240z had a 2.4 straight six. More torque more amazing sound.

And yes, hitachi SUs on both. The 510 has a SSS intake and a linkage to make work.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
10w20w30. How does that work?

I'm guessing it would work between 10 and 20 on startup? 15w30 maybe.

My plan with this thing and my 240z with QS 10w40 from 1973. Is that these old cars just need oil. Doesn't really matter much what kind.

Nice car but don't use an API SE 10W-30. That far-obsolete oil probably provides little protection and the shelf life has probably been passed. Use a modern, API SN/GF-5 10W-30, either conventional or synthetic, for much better protection.

These obsolete API SE 10W-30 oils probably shear to xW-20 weight. If you could do a UOA, that would be interesting.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Nice car but don't use an API SE 10W-30. That far-obsolete oil probably provides little protection and the shelf life has been well passed. Use a modern, API SN/GF-5 10W-30, either conventional or synthetic, for much better protection.

No thanks. I'm not asking if I SHOULD use this oil. I'm am just sharing that I am using this oil. I am completely confident I will have no oil related issues with that motor. I have had no issues for years with other older vehicles using it up.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Nice car but don't use an API SE 10W-30. That far-obsolete oil probably provides little protection and the shelf life has been well passed. Use a modern, API SN/GF-5 10W-30, either conventional or synthetic, for much better protection.

No thanks. I'm not asking if I SHOULD use this oil. I'm am just sharing that I am using this oil. I am completely confident I will have no oil related issues with that motor. I have had no issues for years with other older vehicles using it up.

Do a UOA if you could. Curious how these very early multigrades hold up.

I plan on it for both Datsuns. Should be fun to see.

I know that the US market 240Z had an inline six of 2.4 liters.
I've had both a 280Z 2+2 (a real truck to steer since it was much heavier than the 2 seater and lacked power steering like all Zs) and a 1600 Sports Roadster.
There was a JDM Fairlady Z of two liters.
I think it used a smaller displacement version of the six, but I'm not sure.

Originally Posted By: Red91
Why do you always have to take the fun out of things?

On the contrary, UOAs are fun.
wink.gif

I plan on it for both Datsuns. Should be fun to see.

Exactly.
wink.gif

I find this hilarious since Pennzoil just told us there hot-shot new synthetics have a shelf life of only 4 years, and this guy is pushing 50 years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back