Propane tank gas level indicators?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone use these things?

Good/Bad experiences?

I have three tanks I rotate out and really never run out, But it would be nice to "See" the level rather than "Feel" it.

Thanks

Pour hot water down the side of the tank. Then run your hand along that area of the water and feel for a temperature change. The cooler area is where the LP is. Warmer is empty.

Sounds cool. The tanks are on a 2nd floor deck so I'm not very likely to run hot water over anything up there.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Pour hot water down the side of the tank. Then run your hand along that area of the water and feel for a temperature change. The cooler area is where the LP is. Warmer is empty.

Sometimes if you catch them at the right time in the morning you can see a dew line where the level is. If there's pollen that can even stick to the dew.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Sounds cool. The tanks are on a 2nd floor deck so I'm not very likely to run hot water over anything up there.

Ok..another way is to weigh them. First weigh yourself on a bathroom scale. Then with the tank in hand... weigh yourself again. A full tank weighs about 38 lbs and an empty tank will weigh about 18 lbs.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
First weigh yourself on a bathroom scale.

No

Keep a spare tank on hand (filled, of course) and don't worry about gauges or weighing.

Yep, I bought a 10lb to go with my 20lb...silly "economics", should have just got another 20.

now that I'm refilling Weller propane bottles and the like from my 20s in particular.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Keep a spare tank on hand (filled, of course) and don't worry about gauges or weighing.

Agreed.

OP has 3 tanks, shouldn't worry about running out of propane.

I have 2 tanks, most places in So Cal require minimum of 5 gallon, so I fill empty tank with 3 gallons the other not so empty with 2 gallons. On average we use about 4-5 gallons a year.

The price of propane is varied widely in So Cal, from $2.90/gal to $4.50/gal. The place with low price happened to be close to my house, so it is more convenience and save me few bucks.

It's not just about that. You don't want to have to swap out tanks while you're in the middle of searing your steaks.

^Ah. Wouldn't know about that. I prefer my steaks seared in a cast iron pan with butter. To me, SO much better than using a gas grill.

^Ah. Wouldn't know about that. I prefer my steaks seared in a cast iron pan with butter. To me, SO much better than using a gas grill.

Cool.

Thanks for the help.

I bought one at Costco a while back. Seems to work fine. I refill my bottle by the gallon so Im never concerned about using it all up, knock on wood, with this gauge, weve never been left in the middle of a session with no gas...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back