84 mpg. Really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend told me about this car.. Easily prefer it to a smart, Prius, or just about any other small car. Made here in the US out of off the shelf parts and the price is right. First deliveries will be in 2015; I sincerely hope this new car company does well!

www.eliomotors.com

Last edited:
I have been following this also. The car looks interesting. I will be surprised if they can meet the pricepoint. I like the car for commuting to work. My concern is they keep delaying the public release. I'm concerned if it will come to fruition.

Originally Posted By: QuOk
It's not a car, It is a motorcycle with car like attributes.

True its titled as a motorcycle. If fact one of the concerns of the vehicle is whether some law enforcement officers would question where your helmet is, since its a motorcycle title.

My concern with it is, what happens it its rear ended. Unless its hit straight on, I imagine it helicoptering through the intersection.

I rather have a Lupo 3L http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/16/automo...9-mpg-car.html. I know is not available here but not because of legal issues but lack of interest, three wheeled cars are not new and back in the '70's you could make one that did more or less the same MPG's. Been a "motorcycle" will not meet any car safety standards. They are just recycling an old idea, it is good that people are re-thinking our transportation requirements and trying to do something about it, most importantly thinking about in-country manufacturing.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: QuOk
It's not a car, It is a motorcycle with car like attributes.

True its titled as a motorcycle. If fact one of the concerns of the vehicle is whether some law enforcement officers would question where your helmet is, since its a motorcycle title.

No good for NJ and NY then, And I would not get one even here in PA as im on the border of NJ and would need a helmet everytime I cross the Delaware......Silly....

"it is good that people are re-thinking our transportation requirements and trying to do something about it, most importantly thinking about in-country manufacturing."

thumbsup2.gif

I just wish the regulations wernt so bad that they have to bob and weave and call it a motorcycle.

oh well... looks like they are on to something tho. As long as it has A/C and I can fit my fat butt in it I'm down.

Yeah, the Prius and the Smart comply with lots of silly impact standards that just add weight.
With the money you'll save on the purchase price and fuel, you'll easily be able to pay for the increased life insurance coverage your family should have available if you choose something like the Elio as an urban commuter.
You want 84 mpg in commuting use?
You Chevy store has a car for you that complies fully with all impact standards.
Costs a good bit more, though.

Originally Posted By: mene
I rather have a Lupo 3L http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/16/automo...9-mpg-car.html. I know is not available here but not because of legal issues but lack of interest, three wheeled cars are not new and back in the '70's you could make one that did more or less the same MPG's. Been a "motorcycle" will not meet any car safety standards. They are just recycling an old idea, it is good that people are re-thinking our transportation requirements and trying to do something about it, most importantly thinking about in-country manufacturing.

Since we are contemplating better transportation, I have a little of a rant and I hope I'm no offending anybody and want to let it out of my chest so to speak, we went from the average family car doing 17~19 MPG's in the early 2000's to the 30's MPG's in less than a decade, so the knew how to for a long time, Why didn't they do it then? if not for the savings at least for the pollution, Do they know how to do 45 or even 50 MPG's right now but are not giving it to us so they keep on milking us every few years with a meager increase in MPG's?, that is my personal feeling, I'm starting to believe that the "100 MPG" Pogue carburetor might have been real and disappeared for "profit" reasons. When I was akid my father told me that US steel had formulas for plastics stronger than steel locked in vaults, I took it then as street conspiracy theory nothing more, now I'm not so sure.

I like the mid to high 40's I get in the fusion... But i would probably get one of these just to have. Like the T Rex motorcycle. I would love to have one. And for the price, it's close to new motorcycle prices around here. Do wonder if there's room for a nitrous bottle
wink.gif

Since we are contemplating better transportation, I have a little of a rant and I hope I'm no offending anybody and want to let it out of my chest so to speak, we went from the average family car doing 17~19 MPG's in the early 2000's to the 30's MPG's in less than a decade, so the knew how to for a long time, Why didn't they do it then? if not for the savings at least for the pollution, Do they know how to do 45 or even 50 MPG's right now but are not giving it to us so they keep on milking us every few years with a meager increase in MPG's?, that is my personal feeling, I'm starting to believe that the "100 MPG" Pogue carburetor might have been real and disappeared for "profit" reasons. When I was akid my father told me that US steel had formulas for plastics stronger than steel locked in vaults, I took it then as street conspiracy theory nothing more, now I'm not so sure.

And the 300mpg VW.... So yea, it's all profit control.

I don't see it ever being made. I understand it's a concept and they are working on creating them .... I just don't see it.

The Mitsubishi Mirage has almost as good of mileage and is probably about as safe.

"Do they know how to do 45 or even 50 MPG's right now but are not giving it to us so they keep on milking us every few years with a meager increase in MPG's?, that is my personal feeling,"

Yes, see my comments on the 300mpg VW thread.

Full sized, Safe vehicles with all the Bells and Whistles getting MPG that is a quantum leap ahead of what is offered here.

Is that a Reliant or a Bond?
It's actually preferable to have the third wheel in the rear for stability.
The Brits made them with that layout as well in an earlier era and if I had a faster connection, I'd upload a picture of a Morgan trike as an example.
BSA also made such a car and their's even had FWD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back