Honda Civic R18 ATF Filter change....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a reply from Magnefine that they DO NOT use glue/adhesive in the assembly of the filter. Any rumors about this are likely due to the imitation filters.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
If you have the OEM and are replacing it, are made planning on cutting it open?

The Magnefine just came in the mail, and appears to be well made. It has a flow arrow and states that it employs a check valve, warning to ensure proper installation.

Question: How effective is the check valve? I blew through both ends and noted no resistance in either direction. It may be obvious when I get to it, but in which orientation shouldbth filter be installed, if installed in the OEM location?

The Civic is due for an oil and atf change soon, so maybe I'll take care of both this weekend. If I do I'll also swap out the atf filter and cut open the old OEM one.

There is no check valve. It has a bypass valve. Make sure the arrow matches the actual flow and that's all you need to do. I do not know the flow on a Civic but the old fitler may have an arrow on it or something that says "in" or "out."

Correction, the instructions state the following, mentioning a one-way valve, not a check valve, specifically:

Quote:
CAUTION: The filter has a one way valve with the red arrow indicating direction of fluid flow through the filter. The red arrow must be installed pointing in the direction of fluid flow. If mis-installed, may cause internal transmission damage.

The terminology is vague. It is really a bypass valve to allow the lube flow to bypass if the filter media plugs. When new, the filter flows equally well in reverse... until the filter plugs... after which it does not flow at all. One of the Ford qualification tests was to measure flow in reverse in case some ham-fisted tech installed it backwards.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
The terminology is vague. It is really a bypass valve to allow the lube flow to bypass if the filter media plugs. When new, the filter flows equally well in reverse... until the filter plugs... after which it does not flow at all. One of the Ford qualification tests was to measure flow in reverse in case some ham-fisted tech installed it backwards.

I'll follow the subsequent direction, which states, "with the filter exit line disconnected, verify fluid flow and direction."

Hopefully the OEM filter will shed some light on the direction of fluid flow. Otherwise, I'll direct each hose to a suitable container and find out the hard way
13.gif

Yep. You gotta do what you gotta do; but afterwards, you'll know.

BTW, if you have a factory manual , it may show you the direction. I was able to discern flow from mine.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Yep. You gotta do what you gotta do; but afterwards, you'll know.

BTW, if you have a factory manual , it may show you the direction. I was able to discern flow from mine.

Thanks for the reminder! I've got a Haynes manual stashed somewhere. I'll check it tonight.

I was lazy today and only changed the oil and ATF, leaving the filter swap for another day. It was too nice of a day to spend the additional 30-60 minutes working on this. I didn't want to hold up a life while I fumbled around trying to figure out how to get the air box off, either.

Most are unaware that the R18 Civics have an ATF filter. I would highly recommend changing this out from time to time...

From the ones I have seen cut open online, it looks like it can get pretty nasty clogged at an early mileage. Part number 25430-plr-003. It is located on the driver side close to the fire wall down below the air box.

atf_filter_188.jpg

Hey Cooper I want to install a 3/8" Magnefine ATF filter on my R18 trans like you did, but I can't figure out the flow direction.

Any chance you remember which way the ATF flows?

Flow is left to right in this picture.. ----->

It would have been nice to have a flow arrow on the OEM filter. Had to find out the hard way.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Good call. Many skip the filters on the A/T Accords too. For your spec, does anyone make them aftermarket or only OEM?

Your talking a 4 cylinder Accord???

b/c I have a V6 and I have never seen a Transmission Filter... However I know there is a internal Filter.

Is there a outter one on the 02 Honda Accord that Im just not seeing?

It would have been nice to have a flow arrow on the OEM filter. Had to find out the hard way.

Thanks Cooper, I'm installing a Magnefine tomorrow and you came through for me at the 11th hour.

I kind of expected arrows at least on the tubing, but you know how it is with OEMs, no need for such info since a OE part is what they will always recommend.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BryanM

Thanks Cooper, I'm installing a Magnefine tomorrow and you came through for me at the 11th hour.

I kind of expected arrows at least on the tubing, but you know how it is with OEMs, no need for such info since a OE part is what they will always recommend.

Yup, but I haven't updated this post for a long time. I actually recommend the OEM filter over the magnefine. I have an OEM installed now. It takes a lot of extra work to get the Magnefine in and working. The OEM is super easy to install.

I also checked the flow while I was in there. There was enough room to stick the hose (left one in the pic) into a bottle I used as a catch and you are right about the flow direction. I turned the car on for just a second and the 12oz bottle filled up half way, and nothing came out of the other hose.

But one thing worries me...
After install and everything was back together, I decided to cut open the old filter. From what I could tell, all the metal debris was on the right side of the filter (on the other side of the rolled lip). How is that possible if flow is obviously from the opposite direction?

It seems to shift fine so far. I'm not sure if it was in this thread or not but I read somewhere that Magnefine ATF filters WILL work even if put in backwards.

Last edited:
Were the metal particles on the outside of the filter material? Or on the inside of the tube? If it is just on the far side of the outside of the material, that is normal. If it was on the inner tube of the filter, that is not normal. The flow will push the wear metals past the filter to the backside....

The debris SEEMED to be mostly on the side of the filter the blue arrow is pointing to (on the inside of the filter I guess you could say). I could be wrong but that's what it looked like. The area of the filter the red arrow is pointing (the outside) to looked much like it does in this pic.

I didn't take this pic, it's just one I grabbed from google images.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back