Am I flushing $$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Just put a another filter on at 7,000 miles. What else are you gonna spend your money on ?

+1
thumbsup2.gif

You guys may be onto something here, after all. I mean, waste really cannot be overdone, right? If doing something is worth doing, then it's worth over-doing, right? The must be truth to the UhMerican Way where excess is always a great idea. Can't hurt to take a good idea and drive it into the ground, eh? If something is good, then more MUST be "better" ...

- While he's at it, probably should change the spark plugs every 10k miles. And make sure to get iridium plugs; they're the "best" that money can buy.
- Why not rotate the tires once a week, and then buy new ones when he gets 20k miles on the set. Don't want the tread to get too shallow ...
- Change the air filter every month; can't be too cautious here.
- Lube the hinges with synthetic oil every other time he opens the door to get in or out. Can't hurt, right?
- Grease the u-joints and steering linkage every other week with synthetic GC-LB.
- Probably should change the fuel filter every 10k miles as well.
- Might want to consider replacing the coolant at least once a year. While at it, replace all coolant hoses at the same time.
- Certainly going to want to change the ATF every 5k miles in case oxidation may set it. Make sure to dump it out and get a new filter in there while at it. A new filter is a happy filter, after all.
- Don't ignore the diff fluid; change it every 10k miles because moisture may become a problem. Never can be too safe here.

You guys are right; it's all cheap insurance!

I think perhaps he should not only run the FU for 7k miles, but install a bypass filter system as well, and FCI that system every 7k miles, too. And most certainly he'll want to run PAO syn for 7k miles as well. And for goodness sake, don't cheap out and get a shelf brand; make sure to order PAO from a boutique blender. Have it custom blended to 8w-33 grade for the ultimate in your exact climate conditions. Wouldn't want to risk the engine on a common oil.

What else you going to spend your money on?

DN3, I like your thinking!
thumbsup2.gif

2 dollar difference between the TG and the Ultra. Reread the examples you wrote then compare that to an extra $2 every 7000 miles.. quite the difference and I would hardly call that excessive waste. You are thinking way too hard.

DN3, the sad thing is that I know people who maintain their cars in a manner similar to what you describe. Not quite as completely, but still enough that I shake my head.

Just put a another filter on at 7,000 miles. What else are you gonna spend your money on ?

+1
thumbsup2.gif

You guys may be onto something here, after all. I mean, waste really cannot be overdone, right? If doing something is worth doing, then it's worth over-doing, right? The must be truth to the UhMerican Way where excess is always a great idea. Can't hurt to take a good idea and drive it into the ground, eh? If something is good, then more MUST be "better" ...

- While he's at it, probably should change the spark plugs every 10k miles. And make sure to get iridium plugs; they're the "best" that money can buy.
- Why not rotate the tires once a week, and then buy new ones when he gets 20k miles on the set. Don't want the tread to get too shallow ...
- Lube the hinges with synthetic oil every other time he opens the door to get in or out. Can't hurt, right?
- Grease the u-joints and steering linkage every other week with synthetic GC-LB.
- Might want to consider replacing the coolant at least once a year. While at it, replace all coolant hoses at the same time.
- Certainly going to want to change the ATF every 5k miles in case oxidation may set it. Make sure to dump it out and get a new filter in there while at it. A new filter is a happy filter, after all.
- Don't ignore the diff fluid; change it every 10k miles because moisture may become a problem. Never can be too safe here.

I think perhaps he should not only run the FU for 7k miles, but install a bypass filter system as well, and FCI that system every 7k miles, too. And most certainly he'll want to run PAO syn for 7k miles as well. And for goodness sake, don't cheap out and get a shelf brand; make sure to order PAO from a boutique blender. Have it custom blended to 8w-33 grade for the ultimate in your exact climate conditions. Wouldn't want to risk the engine on a common oil.

Good advice, I'll have to print that out and post it in the garage!

Well, you gotta look at it like this. We all waste money over time that could be better spent or saved. Its human nature to buy stuff we don't need and most of us probably don't give it a second thought. So just do what you want to do and don't worry about everyone else. Shoot, for the cost difference between a regular filter and the Ultra, just skip a Starbucks one day. Or sip on the Starbucks while purchasing the Ultra. Its all good.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Good advice, I'll have to print that out and post it in the garage!

I did 1 better; I framed it!

But don't take my word for it; run some trials yourself. Run three consecutive UOAs with FUs, and then three with the EG. Compare and contrast them to UAs of your engine family. Think I'm wrong? Prove me wrong. I double dog dare ya!
grin.gif

I don't follow all the UOA threads, but wasn't there a couple where the Fram Ultra was used and the particulate levels were super low. Of course, that may not directly correlate to engine wear rate, but most people will take low particulates in their oil verses high levels.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Yes, you are. Change the oil and leave the filter be for another interval.

2n7pnuv.jpg

Fram Ultra filters are good for their claimed 15k miles rating.
02.gif

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Do you think it's a waste of $$ to run a Fram Ultra for 7,000 OCI ?

My biggest question is if this engine is still under warranty. If it is, no way.

Unless it's a Honda, which SPECIFIES an oil filter change every other oil change, i.e., every 13-16k miles...
36.gif

Join the 21st century, fellas. The 1 OCI OFI myth appears to be the new 3k miles OCI myth.

If I ever do use a FU will only be used for 1 OCI, and for no more than 7.5K miles.
Let the flaming begin.

With all due respect
09.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Seriously, I think that's a super good plan
29.gif

11.gif

This is the best post you've ever made.
They don't seem to get tough love.
Maybe they'll get sarcasm?
I doubt it, though.
Too subtle.
Keep on arguing for reality over fables, Dave.

I'd probably be much better off if I could manage to remember that "FU" in this case means "Fram Ultra" . . .

"You keep leaving me little notes on my pillow. 'We're out of milk. FU.' It took me the longest time to realize that 'FU' meant 'Felix Ungar'!"
-- Oscar Madison to Felix, The Odd Couple

+1
thumbsup2.gif

You keep worrying what other people do/spend their money on,I just dont get it. You do not have control what others do,plain and simple.Second,you worrying about this constantly,shows you need

A)another hobby maybe?
B)if not A-then end up with high blood pressure,seriously.

Let it go already.

^^^ I don't think he's worried how anyone spends their money. He's just pointing out that spending more money for a filter sometimes isn't getting you anything extra for the extra money that's being spent.

Originally Posted By: DragRace
You keep worrying what other people do/spend their money on,I just dont get it. You do not have control what others do,plain and simple.Second,you worrying about this constantly,shows you need

A)another hobby maybe?
B)if not A-then end up with high blood pressure,seriously.

Let it go already.

Let's look at what the OP asked:
Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Do you think it's a waste of $$ to run a Fram Ultra for 7,000 OCI ?

Now, I don't know how you relate the concept of waste, but to me it genearlly is a topic of ROI (return on investment); that is akin to benefit/cost. Let's look at the ways "waste" could be applied to his question.
1) is it a waste of time to install a FU versus some other filter? Probably not; just about any filter is going to take the same time and effort
2) is it a waste of money to install a FU versus some other filter? Probably so, based upon the presumptions and conditions discussed; I've already given my rationale

I'm not "worried" about what people spend. I'm trying to be clear and concise for someone who asks a legitimate question relating to ROI, because he's at least acknowledged the concept of benefit and cost. He asked about "waste"; he didn't ask about how someone "feels" here. My gross exaggeration of the maintenace topics is actually not as far fetched as one would think; I've actually had disucssions with other BITOGers that "felt" that those some of those practices were a good decision.

You are correct that I have no direct ability to alter what folks spend their cash on. But I do have genuine concern for people who may stumble upon this site looking for good advice; advice that may be handy to a widow on a fixed income, or a college student with a very limited budget. Is it appropriate to tell them that a FU is a great decision for 7k miles, when just about any decent filter will suffice as well, and there is ZERO evidence to the contrary? Should we turn a dear ear to the person who seeks realistic information to make a solid decision in regard for personal expenditures? I fully agree that folks CAN do what they WANT to do! I have no problem with that whatsoever. But I have a bug up my posterior when the masses around here act as if only premium products are the "best" for every application, and if one does not subscribe to that philosophy, then the rest of us must not care about our vehicles and surely they will implode in a matter of blocks when driven with vigor. When we post, it's not just of the folks in the coversation, but all those who lurk or stumble onto this site. Don't we have some modicum of responsibility to be reasonable in our recommendations? I fully realize folks can and will do what they want. But what they "want" and what they "need" are often to entirely different things.

What we have here, in great abundance, is members who love to love their vehicles and there is practically no limit to what they'd spend on lubes and filters. If money is no object, that may be fine. But money is of note to many folks; people who are looking to make a wise, mangaged decision. And when those people ask a specific question, it'd be nice if we offered a truly thoughtful, realistic, sound answer based in facts and data, not mythology, rhetoric and emotion. Face it; this site is full of brand bigots that are loyal to their flavor of lube and filter. When confronted with facts and data, the only thing they can often muster is the age-old "cheap insurance" retort; a lame excuse if there ever was one. One man's "cheap" is anothers "waste", and the only "insurance" is an assurance of unused potential thrown out.

Those that are dead-set in their ways, I cannot change. Or, can I? You see, I once was a premium-lube bigot myself; I thought the world revolved around PAOs and nothing else would ever do as well. Then through a series of life experiences and education, I realized that was a very limited view of the lube world. Now understand that I still use syns for some applications to this day, but I don't do it blindly. My beef is not so much with the product itself, but the wasteful practices surrounding those premium products. Same goes for filters, as in this thread.

And finally, while I appreciate your suggestions, I don't need another hobby, and my health is quite fine. Thank you for offering the input.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I wonder if FU used FUs?
laugh.gif

He was a mid-Sixties to early Seventies Manhattanite. Who knows if he even learned to drive? (I can't recall Tony Randall's Felix ever driving on the TV series.)

Dnewton3's post was excellent satire. Some people didn't get it, which to me proves its value. The Onion's "news" stories are close enough to plausible that if you don't think about them too much, you might believe them to be actual news stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back