Dodge 1500 new diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delo 400 0w30 appears to be standard CJ4 with 1.1% ash, I'd count on it being good; I'd like to try Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W30 , it doesn't fully meet the spec emission wise but comes pretty [censored] close. Very expensive, $40 per gallon. I'd try it once to get UOA.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Most new cars are stretching it out to 10k oci on 0w-30. Weird though that they would for 5w-30. I would not go that long personally.

Why not? Let's lend some perspective. My 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel has a 11,000 mile OEM recommended OCI. Not one commercial truck heavy diesel engine manufacturers has a normal OCI of less than 25,000 miles, with Detroit Diesel ringing the bell.... 50,000 mile / 1280 hour OEM recommended OCI's. And that is a 15L engine that is factory filled with a 10w30 CJ-4. Delo even has marketing stuff out about their HDEO 10w30 showing satisfactory performance on this engine to 70,000 miles... with no bypass filtration.

The times, they are a changin' folks.

You need to use the low saps oils that meet Mercedes 229.51. Mobil 1 makes the 5w-40MST and a 5w-30 that is hard to find. MB recommends the 5w-40 in North America it the 3ltr v6 diesels. It's the only one readily available unless you want to order it from Europe. I'm thinking the 30w is for mileage.
If you don't use one of these oils, you will violate the warranty on the emissions. I'm sure Chrysler will have their own brand at a premium.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cowhorse01
Time to blow the dust and cobwebs off of the old time thinking that every 3-5k is best. Anything less than 10k on this little motor would be wasteful. I am just guessing here.

I like the way you really owned that statement.

Doesn't this 3.0 liter engine regen with a DPF and fluid?

It does...

So 5K may be too many miles between changes depending on load and conditions.

You'll just have to watch for the change oil light.

it doesn't meet what spec?it is an acea 9 oil!also don't compare big rig diesel oil duration with car(common mistake,diesel lubricate the engine and oil lubricate it ,its like a dual lubrication system ,so oil doesn't work very hard compared to a car!rpm on diesel are very low (1200 to 1800rpm)so this also lower oil hard work.average on car is probably around 3300 rpm ,so just there alone you double the work the oil as to do also the gas is very dry so not lubricity from fuel this add more work the oil has to do so we can safly divide by 2 again .so on dino oil say 25000 mile for big rig will end up about 6500 mile for care on dino oil,and I I also forget to mention that on big truck filter never let particulate in 20 micron might be common on gas but big truck it is more like 1 to 4 micron for same efficiency .this also also permit longer interval between oil change.so no I would stay with the 3500 to 4800 mile oil change whatever advertiser say ,go on youtube or online ,ask big rig engine maker their view .they wont sugar coat it ,they cant !why?because this stuff as been often in the pass problem that could have been prevented if they had not ignored it !if a big truck engine make like say mack or Mercedes tell you they need x feature in x item ,don't sweat it ,it was tested.some think this will make engine last too long ?bof ,not really ,it just prevent issue from coming up during the life of the truck.nobody on the trucking maker side want to be seen in a bad light!because if the truck behave now ?then it make for an easier sale in 3 or 4 year.and less issue when they take back the old truck to resell

"don't compare big rig diesel oil duration with car(common mistake,diesel lubricate the engine and oil lubricate it ,its like a dual lubrication system ,so oil doesn't work very hard compared to a car!rpm on diesel are very low (1200 to 1800rpm)so this also lower oil hard work.average on car is probably around 3300 rpm ,so just there alone you double the work the oil as to do also the gas is very dry so not lubricity from fuel this add more work the oil has to do so we can safly divide by 2 again .so on dino oil say 25000 mile for big rig will end up about 6500 mile for care on dino oil"

Wow....strange my engines hasent blown yet.
Actually i think his statements are faulty.
Dieselengines are lubricated from fuel and oil!!- wrong
Big rig diesels doesent work hard because of slow rpms
- sure but measure surface speed at the bearing instead.
Its true that one cannot compare oci between these engines and your passcar engine, the big rig engine is from the beginning made for long oci´s.( your passcar engine may not )

Quote:
Actually i think his statements are faulty.
Every one. Diesel fuel does lubricate the injection parts, but gasoline lubricates gasoline injection parts, so there....

Keep in mind the diesel engine's greater loading on parts and the much dirtier blowby. I change the engine oil and filter in my gasoline engines every 10,000 miles whether they need it or not, the analyses are great, they run very well, and the parts that are visible look fine.

The OCI is not unreasonable. A 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel I owned (a son of mine has it now) had 11,000 mile OEM recommended OCI's (normal use). It had a 6.5 qt capacity.

You really want to see how the OCI's are getting stretched out? How about the OCI king of pack right now, Detroit. With their DD15, they are recommending 50,000 mile oil change intervals! And they factory fill with 10w30 oil on a 15L engine!

If I had one of the new diesels in the 1500, I would jump on board with a XXw30 oil, especially a synthetic or at least a blend, of the CJ-4 variety, follow the OEM drain interval and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
also don't compare big rig diesel oil duration with car(common mistake,diesel lubricate the engine and oil lubricate it ,its like a dual lubrication system ,so oil doesn't work very hard compared to a car!rpm on diesel are very low (1200 to 1800rpm)so this also lower oil hard work.average on car is probably around 3300 rpm ,so just there alone you double the work the oil as to do also the gas is very dry so not lubricity from fuel this add more work the oil has to do so we can safly divide by 2 again .

This is totally false, and I can prove it beyond any doubt.

Diesel fuel is a solvent, it will sheer down the engine oil to the point wear will begin. Fuel leaks and fuel dilution need to be repaired.

And I think some miss something in all of this. A higher RPM of the engine does not necessarily equate to more "work". Heavy diesels typically reach their peak torque at 1100 RPM and start dropping at around 1500 RPM, long before their peak HP is reached at 1800 to 2100 RPM. . Even the 2.8L diesel in my Jeep reached it's peak torque at 1800 RPM. The Ram 3.0L Ecodiesel hits it's peak torque at 2000 RPM, and starts dropping off at around 2600 RPM, long before it reaches it's max HP at 4000 RPM. For maximum effect, you operate the diesel in the peak RPM curve not the peak HP curve. Torque is a flatter curve than is typical for gas engines, but usually drops considerably before peak HP is even reached. There is a lot more demand on film strength at lower RPM working of the engine under load than at higher RPM. With higher RPM's you have more benefit of rotational inertia which can lessen, a little, demand on the oil film strength. And the significantly higher compression ratios along with turbocharging and the resulting combustion can place serious demands on an oil at the lower RPM's that diesels typically operate.

And diesel fuel can take a oil out of viscosity pretty quick. Lubricity in diesel only truly has an application regarding the fuel delivery system.

And I am not sure where the 1-4 micron filtration thing came from in the yvon-la argument. Diesel engine full flow oil filters are typically at the 20 micron level, give or take a couple, just like smaller auto engines. Sure, with supplemental bypass filtration you get down to 1-4 micron, but that is an end user installed item that many heavy diesel owners never put on. The oil change intervals I mentioned are based on OEM recommendations using standard full flow filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back