My PYB expierence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

I have a 2002 Chevy S10 with the 2.2L that I use to commute to work. It currently has 182k on the clock and still runs like a champ. My brother bought it new and it had a steady diet of M1 until it came to me with 150k and at that time I swapped it over to M1 High Mileage.

I don't post much on here but I do enjoy reading/learning a lot from all the knowledgeable guy. Well I decided to try the PYB that mostly everyone loves here. Within the first 1k miles I noticed I started having a small spot on the pavement where I park.

I was just curious to see if you think it was caused by the switch or if it was possibly coincidence?

The only way to know is to go back to the m1 hm and see if that small leak disappears. A small leak at 182k? Not bad at all! Sounds like you take good care of it.

I think it was probably coincidence. But, the PYB could also be cleaning out around the seals that were not getting cleaned before. I think that is a long shot though. M1 does appear to do a good job of keeping the engine internals pretty nice from what I have seen on here. I don't have any M1 experience though....

Maybe try and go back to the previous M1 HM? That would be my first test before I replaced any seals.

Also, just to make sure, you checked your filter and drain plug to make sure they are tight?

I double checked and everything is tight. We have taken great care of the little truck. Good friend of mine is a Chevy mechanic and pulled the valve cover off at around 170k when we were bored one weekend hanging his shop. M1 def does a good job of keeping them clean and I wish I had taken pic to post on here. I have checked a few places and can't find a leak. I haven't searched real hard because it does have 182k and I was happy it made it this long without a leak.

I might swap it back to M1 high mileage when I do another change. M1HM seems to be great stuff but I don't see much about it on this site.

I'm of the understanding that High Mileage oils contain engine seal conditioners. Purpose being that the seals in older, high mileage engines are brittle/dried/cracked/shrunk/etc... Higher Mileage oils then soften & swell these seals to help stop oil leaking past them. This is why you shouldn't use HM oils on newer engines, and that once you start, you pretty much have to commit to using them from that point on. Otherwise, what happens is exactly what you're describing. The Mobil 1 High Mileage did its' job of swelling up the engine seals, and now that you went back to a regular oil (PYB), those conditioners are gone, and the engine seals have "shrunk". You will probably start to get more oil leaks if you continue with a non-HM oil.

Of course, I'm using laymen terms to describe what I think is happening, but you get the point.

ZiTS

Last edited:
I'd suggest an inexpensive HM oil, like Defy or Maxlife unless you want to extend drains.
You live in a moderate climate and the 2.2 is neither powerful nor demanding of its oil.
You may find that the leak is an easy fix once you locate it.
Is this S-10 a stick?
If it turns out to be a RMS leak, I'd just let it go until clutch time comes, or pull the gearbox and replace the crank seal and do the clutch at the same time.

For more than 50 years Pennzoil is known to cause oil leaks. My dad told me this many years ago.:)

Originally Posted By: TTK
For more than 50 years Pennzoil is known to cause oil leaks. My dad told me this many years ago.:)

Doesn't the wax plug the leaks?

Originally Posted By: loyd
Thisis NOT a rant, but I fail to see why people continually screw with success. Why?

A pig with lipstick is still a pig no matter what you call it. It is a rant.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: TTK

Doesn't the wax plug the leaks?

No, but the sludge does. LOL

loyd said, "... but I fail to see why people continually screw with success. Why?"

That's 12 little words.

THAT'S a rant???

We need to establish a "Rant word count threshold". Kira

D.W. (Waltrip) said "They fixed on it and fixed on it 'til it was broke".
lol.gif

Your PYB experience is just a leak ? That's it ?

I was hoping to hear: "PYB has made my engine so buttery smooth, I can't feel it idle no more."

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Your PYB experience is just a leak ? That's it ?

I was hoping to hear: "PYB has made my engine so buttery smooth, I can't feel it idle no more."

I was expecting to see something like, "PYB increased my gas mileage from 23 mpg to 50 mpg! "
grin.gif

Possibilities:

(1) The small spot of oil drops was happening before but you didn't notice.

(2) PYB doesn't have as much seal swellers as M1 and especially M1 HM and your seals started shrinking. This is likely because we know that M1 HM has a lot of seal swellers. That's why I don't like using HM oils because once you start using them, you can't safely switch back to non-HM oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back