Clicking when I press the brake pedal

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 Toyota Echo. When the engine is running and the car is in park there is a clicking when I press the brake pedal, like before putting the car into drive. Any ideas?
Thanks

clicking sound

I believe it's called a shift interlock, allows the shifter to be moved from park only once the brake has been depressed.

I think it's been pretty much commonplace since the 90's at least.

My echo does the same thing. It's the shift interlock.

The interiors are so spartan that you can actually hear the mechanism move as apposed to other cars.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I believe it's called a shift interlock, allows the shifter to be moved from park only once the brake has been depressed.

I think it's been pretty much commonplace since the 90's at least.

Yup. Shift Interlock. I think this is what you are hearing.

Originally Posted By: Rolomoto
2001 Toyota Echo. When the engine is running and the car is in park there is a clicking when I press the brake pedal, like before putting the car into drive. Any ideas?
Thanks

clicking sound

Have you had the car long and are just noticing this clicking sound?

OR

Did you just aquire the car and are curious about this clicking sound?

smile.gif
CB

Thanks for all the answers. I've owned it for years but I never really noticed it before, I guess I usually just go right into drive and do notice it a bit but yesterday I pushed on the pedal without going into drive which I probably haven't done before. I recently did a major (for me) repair (motor mount) and was kind of paranoid wondering if I had effed something up.

The new motor mount could have shifted things slightly. I have heard this clicking noise in new cars with the shift interlock. My '04 Altima has done this since new(not quite as noticable as yours). Doesn't sound like an issue with the acception of an annoyance. Maybe removing the shift lever cover can help you find the cause of the EXTRA noise/clicking!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back