Lubegard in p/s pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to everything I have read and learned here I have become obsessed with thinking about the fluids in my vehicles. Due to this obsession I decided to drain and fill the p/s fluid on the 6 yesterday. I just pulled the supply hose, drained the reservoir and refilled with new fluid. I did that 3 times running the car and turning the wheel in between. The Mazda uses ATF as p/s fluid so I used Mag1 syn ATF as my new fluid, already had a case I ordered for a tranny drain and fill I am doing next weekend.

I was thinking about adding some Lubegard ATF Protectant to the p/s fluid. Would it be worth it?
I am thinking it's ATF in the p/s and it couldn't hurt. Any thoughts?

Well, it's a fairly new car, so probably not.

What you did is great. Most people don't even do what you did over a 15 year period!

Originally Posted By: Bob_E
I was thinking about adding some Lubegard ATF Protectant to the p/s fluid. Would it be worth it?
I am thinking it's ATF in the p/s and it couldn't hurt. Any thoughts?

While it wouldn't hurt, given that you used synthetic ATF it probably would have no benefit.

Btw, the Lubegard folks make a specific power steering product:

Power Steering Fluid Protectant

The LG PS additive is a good product for preventive maintenance or the rack and pump seal, it really works even with synthetic ATF.
One of my own cars has very slight PS whine, i changed the fluid (line off method) and used synthetic fluid, bled it and no difference. LG stopped it within 100 miles.
That was 4 yrs ago, it never returned. I still have a new OEM pump sitting here ready to go.

I have no idea how it works or whats in it, i can only guess it helps to release trapped air pockets somehow.
LG IMHO makes some of the best preventive maintenance products on the market. Definitely not snake oil.

+1

I've been using it with Redline PSF in my '00 Acura 3.2TL for years and it continues to run trouble free. I'm changing over to this combo in my wife's '06 Ford Freestyle, so far no issues.

Originally Posted By: Blokey
Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D

Btw, the Lubegard folks make a specific power steering product:

Power Steering Fluid Protectant

Actually, take a look at the pdf under "For best results":
Lubegard psf pdf

In the pdf it says to use the ATF protectant in p/s using ATF. Yet in the FAQs it says to use the psf protectant. I guess in my situation neither would hurt anything. And after my ATF drain and fill I will have 2oz of the ATF protestant left so I may just add it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back