Oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a 2002 Ford Excursion w/V10. I am looking for an oil recommendation for this vehicle. Now, I have read a lot of info on this site regarding V10s and oils, but I here is my dilemma. I don't drive this vehicle very much, have about 1200 miles in 6 months. Nov-May it is only used as a family commuter, when used at all, and I allow it to warm up for 5-10 min before driving. June-Oct it will only be used maybe twice as much and it will be used as a family commuter and for towing a 6000# travel trailer plus all the gear for 6 and a 100# Golden retriever.

I bought this vehicle with 108K on the odometer from the original owner and despite no maintenance records the vehicle has been maintained very well, from what I can tell and per my mechanic. I did a PYB OC and I was going to follow up with a second PYB OC allowing both oil changes to run for a max of 2500 miles each, my thoughts were this would be a like a safety cleaning/flush as a precaution.

So, besides the oil recommendation, I also am concerned about engine start-up and wear from sitting for such long periods, so I would appreciate recommendations for that issue also.

I am open to all input and help.
Thx

These engines are actually pretty forgiving with engine oil. 5w-30 was the OEM recommendation for the early models, but around 2001-2002 they began recommending 5w-20. Your choice of PYB is fine, so are the Motorcraft products. Motorcraft filters are the best value in my opinion.

Have the spark plugs been changed?

Transmission serviced?

Differentials?

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy

Have the spark plugs been changed?

Transmission serviced?

Differentials?

I have not serviced them yet, we had a harsh winter and this truck does not even come close to fitting in my garage, it has been way too cold. I am trying to do most of the work on this vehicle myself vs. sending it to my mechanic, I have 4 trucks and maintenance can become very costly when you pay someone to do the work. Per my mechanic, all fluids were fine and the plugs look fine too, no rush to change them seeing how the vehicle was going to sit for the winter. We agreed all fluids and plugs would be done prior to summer.

Was planning on MC filters. I also see Schaeffer does not offer a 5w-20 oil anymore per their website.

PYB 5w-30 at the intervals you want to run. To be honest 2500 miles is a waste. 5000 miles is easily achievable with today's conventionals.

The concern with the spark plugs is making sure none of them are loose. At 80k I decided to check mine, and 2 of them were loose. I have no idea how one of them wasn't leaking, I could have removed it with just the extension and socket.

As for the other fluids, the transmission "should" have been serviced a few times by now...especially if it saw regular towing duty.

At 80k I changed the gear lube front/rear on my F350, and although the oil looked ok just by dipping my finger in through the fill hole, there was a LOT of metallic particles on the fill plug and magnet in the cover. The limited slip also popped when making tight turns with a load in the bed.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...99_#Post1981423

Originally Posted By: Clevy
PYB 5w-30 at the intervals you want to run. To be honest 2500 miles is a waste. 5000 miles is easily achievable with today's conventionals.

The 2500 miles was just going to be for MY first two OCI as a piece of mind, after that i was going to go 5k intervals from there.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
If your concerned about start up wear, use an oil that has ester in it such as Redline.

"ester"?? Ok, so i have some more research to do because I have know nothing about ester.
Thanks

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
The concern with the spark plugs is making sure none of them are loose. At 80k I decided to check mine, and 2 of them were loose. I have no idea how one of them wasn't leaking, I could have removed it with just the extension and socket.

As for the other fluids, the transmission "should" have been serviced a few times by now...especially if it saw regular towing duty.

At 80k I changed the gear lube front/rear on my F350, and although the oil looked ok just by dipping my finger in through the fill hole, there was a LOT of metallic particles on the fill plug and magnet in the cover. The limited slip also popped when making tight turns with a load in the bed.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...99_#Post1981423

I will check the plugs.
I hope the trans and diffs have been serviced before, but I don't know if they have. I plan on Mobil 1 trans fluid exchange. The diff? I dont know yet, I am open to suggestions their too.

Thanks

Rob_Roy

Just read your DIFF thread, what fluid did you settle on for your DIFFs?

Great truck. I would go with a synthetic 5W-30. These engines are no different than the pre- 2001s which said 5W-30 on the oil cap. The only benefit of 5W-20 would be in the winter. With a synthetic oil, a 10W-30 synthetic would flow better than a petroleum 5W-20. Synthetic will help the timing chain last longer. These engines are very durable if cared for.
The spark-plugs are no fun to change on these engines. On this engine, use loads of anti-seize when installing new plugs & do not over torque in the least.
I would change the trans oil just to be safe. I have pulled many a transmission pan with the fluid looking fairly clean on the dipstick when in reality, both filter and magnet had collected plenty of wear particles.
A good coolant flush every 2 years is a good idea also.

Dr. Olds
1994 Intrepid ES 3.5V6 208,000 miles Amsoil 10W-30 Signature Series & Amsoil ATF
1975 Olds Cutlass 455 Rotella 15W-40
1969 Olds Toronado 455 Rotella 15W-40

Being in MI, I'd recommend 5w-20 year round; any decent convetional lube brand will do just fine. Same goes for the filter; pick a brand that's inexpensive on the shelf from a brand you trust.

The 6.8L is a 5.4L with two extra cylinders. And the 5.4L is a tall deck, long stroke version of the 4.6L. These mod-motor engines really don't have any issues related to the lube systems. They do have issues (spark plugs for one; ex manifold studs for another). But not lube related problems. Therefore, there is no need whatsoever for a super-duper syn that you'd just dump way too early any way. Same goes for the filter; any decent brand is doing to do a reasonable job. The mod-motor engines are not picky about lube one bit.

I see you've been around a long time, but not posted much. Nor sure if you lurk, or just are not around often. If you have not done so, read the article about UOA "normalcy" on the home-page. In there you'll see a portion of the UOA study was run on the 4.6L mod-motor. All the 2v mods run about the same in wear response. Your 2002 will fit right in there in terms of predictable wear.

I suggest 5w-20 because it will give you good cold start protection and flow quickly, but you'll not have to spend a bunch of money on a syn; money that would not return any great gain in wear reduction or starting aid. The 5w-20 is a capable fluid and will do very well in the cold MI winters, and yet be fine for year round use. If that seems too "thin" for your blood, then use a 5w-30; it really won't effect it greatly one way or another.

Given your incredibly low milage per year, I'd suggest OCIs no more than annually, and perhaps every other year. Yes - it will be perfectly fine to run a lube and filter that long.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I see you've been around a long time, but not posted much. Nor sure if you lurk, or just are not around often. If you have not done so, read the article about UOA "normalcy" on the home-page.............

I lurk a lot, their is a vast amount of info on this site and I spend hours reading.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Being in MI, I'd recommend 5w-20 year round; any decent convetional lube brand will do just fine. Same goes for the filter; pick a brand that's inexpensive on the shelf from a brand you trust.................

I suggest 5w-20 because it will give you good cold start protection and flow quickly, but you'll not have to spend a bunch of money on a syn; money that would not return any great gain in wear reduction or starting aid. The 5w-20 is a capable fluid and will do very well in the cold MI winters, and yet be fine for year round use. If that seems too "thin" for your blood, then use a 5w-30; it really won't effect it greatly one way or another.

I was thinking along the same lines as you suggested, 5w-20 year round or switching to 5w-30 for the summer camper towing months.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: drolds
Great truck. I would go with a synthetic 5W-30. These engines are no different than the pre- 2001s which said 5W-30 on the oil cap. The only benefit of 5W-20 would be in the winter. With a synthetic oil, a 10W-30 synthetic would flow better than a petroleum 5W-20. Synthetic will help the timing chain last longer. These engines are very durable if cared for.

Here are the oils I was trying to decide on;
PP, PYB, MC, M1, and Schaeffer

I would change the trans oil just to be safe. I have pulled many a transmission pan with the fluid looking fairly clean on the dipstick when in reality, both filter and magnet had collected plenty of wear particles.

I plans on doing this shortly and using M1.

A good coolant flush every 2 years is a good idea also.

Good idea.
Thanks

Originally Posted By: TIUSER

Was planning on MC filters. I also see Schaeffer does not offer a 5w-20 oil anymore per their website.

Schaeffers does not produce the 704 semi-syn. BUT produce 5-20 in the 9000 series straight syn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back