please recommend 2010 Kia OCI in months not miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the standard milage that traditionally you are "supposed" to run for oil was 3000. Of course with today's engines and today's oils you can go longer than that pretty safely.

For me I've done a lot of miles so I always just looked at miles and never worried about the "months" part of the equation. But now that we are using my wife's car much less - I'm beginning to wonder - how many *months* do y'all feel I should go before I would need an oil change. 2010 Kia Optima - approx 85000 miles - running Quaker State Defy 5w-30. (at this point valvoline maxlife also looks like a good possibility)

Last edited by a moderator:
It is the number of miles and how those miles are driven (short trips that don't get up to temp or long trips that always get the oil up to temp) that sets the OCI. Months is not too important.

The reason I ask is because its probably now going to take over 6 months to reach 5000 miles (my usual OCI).

I do Spring and Fall on a 2003 Ford Ranger that sees short trips and maybe 4k a year.

I like the truck and want to keep it.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
I do Spring and Fall on a 2003 Ford Ranger that sees short trips and maybe 4k a year.

Wait a minute..............You change the oil twice in 4,000 miles ? That's what I do.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: 123Saab

Wait a minute..............You change the oil twice in 4,000 miles ? That's what I do.
grin2.gif

Here comes the naughty stick. CA has a site just for you:

http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/UsedOil/OilChange/FindInterval/

I think the consensus was that you could let it go for at least a year and some even go as long as 2 years but part of that involves driving style also.

Simple rules to apply: Count the number of times the car only drives 5 miles or less on a cold engine ("cold engine" defined as sitting at least 7 hours since driven last). Change oil when that count gets to 180. (However, don't let it go past 10,000 miles or 1 year.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back