Tell me about Saab 9-3 convertibles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm moderately interested in getting a fun, weekend car. It's been quite a while since I have had a convertible and I do miss it.

I want something that is at least moderately sporty, reasonably reliable and has room for the family. After considering all my options, the Saab 9-3 looks like the best choice. I can get one with a manual transmission and it's got a back seat.

It won't see daily driver use. Probably a few thousand miles a year. I don't need it to be '80's Toyota reliable, just not strand me on the side of the road.

I like these cars, but I just don't know much about them. The examples I have seen in my price range have between 100K and 130K miles. I would consider an automatic, but it's not my preference. I would prefer to avoid turbos.

What are the things to look for on a late 1990's/early 2000's 9-3? Are they junk or decent cars?

I'm in no hurry, I can wait another year or two to find the right car. Just want to know what I will be dealing with.

I can't speak from experience here, but Saab obviously does not exist anymore. Yes, there was parts sharing and similarity, but a vehicle of that age will start needing parts and they'll progressively become more and more difficult to get (and more expensive).

The only 9-3 you should be considering is the Viggen. :)

dsc5444.jpg

Hello, 6th Saab in the family just purchased the other day. Acquiring mechanicals are never a problem. There is Goldwing Saab and other yards for body parts. Remember, a Saab will be cheaper to buy by quite a bit.

As BITOGers know, the most prevalent shortcoming is that too many US owners didn't heed the advice regarding the use of A3,B3 oil. See to it your engine isn't sludged-up.

Many times a convertible will have lower mileage.

Also, while the V-6 is a good engine (I've read); don't bother. The 2.3L 4 with its turbocharger is powerful enough. The 4 has 2 counter rotating balance shafts and is so smooth.
No need to buy a V-6 engine which has been shoehorned into this modestly sized car. Kira

1382022_574452782610501_1244543468_n.jpg

zkn9.jpg

I do like me a Saab
I would love me a Viggen Talladega edition convertible
But they are quirky, and on anything you buy, first job's to soak the oil pickup tube in a solvent, they can plug/sludge so Syn's a must IMO

......do prepare for the Swedish infighting, Similar to (Mustang v Camaro) (Chevy v Ford v Ram)
my-saab-boosts.jpg

Person I work with has a 2000 turbo. I have driven it. Nice car, not fast, but vert is nice. I thought in 2000 they had some GM stuff in them

Last edited:
Took the 4cyl turbo on a test drive around Pomona fairgrounds when GM still had their test drive events, back in 2000. Man, turbo lag. The car next to me wasn't trying to beat me off the line and was pulling ahead of me. The GM rep was even apologizing.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Took the 4cyl turbo on a test drive around Pomona fairgrounds when GM still had their test drive events, back in 2000. Man, turbo lag. The car next to me wasn't trying to beat me off the line and was pulling ahead of me. The GM rep was even apologizing.

What was the car next to you?

You do realize that Saab's are not dragsters?

I'm not too concerned with parts availability. This isn't going to become a family heirloom, just a fun weekend car for the next 5 or 6 years.

I'm not looking for a turbo car, so turbo lag is irrelevant to me. this car doesn't have to be fast, it's mostly for cruising. I have several motorcycles I can ride if I need speed. I just want something can enjoy with the whole family.

Looks like I can get one in decent shape for under 5 grand. Manual trans cars are harder to find, but they are out there. I would only buy an automatic if it was an exceptionally good car are an equally exceptional price. That's the problem with most other 4 seat convertibles. Automatic only. I have plenty of time to wait for what I want.

I have no idea if the vintage you're looking at were tested for rollover safety, or not, but that's my first thought when I see "convertible" and "family car".

Yes, SAABs were known for safety also, but I just didn't think they actually had a test in the early 2000s to rate convertibles...

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, 6th Saab in the family just purchased the other day . . .

That level of loyalty seems to be common. There's a house about a mile from here where six of them are somehow squeezed in the driveway.

But I'll still take our Volvo R over the lot of them.
wink.gif

I looked at a Saab when we were looking for an entertaining summer DD for me.
We ended up buying the 318i.
The Saab drove well and the turbo lag didn't seem bad, but the rep kind of scared me along with the really neat but no doubt very complicated automatic soft top.
My recommendation would be to look for a nice e30 or e36 convertible.
Room for four if the front seaters give up a little leg room and recline and some of the most durable and trouble free cars BMW ever made.
Mine has been about as reliable as a hammer in the four summers and 41K I've driven it.
Other than routine maintenance, I've only had to replace the boot or hose from the AFM, or TPS or MAF, or whatever it is to the intake manifold.

Originally Posted By: J_Dunn
All of the 9-3s are turbos. You'd have to go back to a 1998 or earlier 900 to get an NA Saab.

Really? I had no idea.

Bummer.

Too bad you need a back seat.

Otherwise, if you do it right, you might want to look at a '96 or later MB R129. No turbos, but plenty of smooth German V-8 power (avoid the 12). And relatively easy to keep and extremely reliable (especially compared to what followed) as Germans go. A heavy car, but not big. And one of the cars I feel most safe in were there ever an accident.

I think there was a backseat option of some sort on some of them in Europe, but I've never seen one state-side, and frankly, there is little room for them anyway.

But a really nice ragtop if you find one in solid shape. Many still are, as they were not inexpensive when new, and most were well cared for and garaged. And its still at the bottom of its price curve, before it starts to re-climb again (for the best examples) as the model ages into a more classic status.

I know you are looking at the Saab and rarely if ever would I recommend an F-Body or Mustang in a thread like this becasue it is REALLY different, but you can pick them up in ragtop form reasonably priced priced. The back seat in my WS6 fits my kids fine and sometimes it is nice to go for a cruise with the whole family and the T-tops removed.
There are tons of either one out their. The V6 does fine, but you can sometimes get a deal on a V8 and they do pretty good for MPGs if you are just looking for a toy. They are LOW maintenance, easy to fix and cheap to fix.

How but a Sebring convertible? They seat 4 pretty well and should be able to be found at good price.

I hate not being able to edit...I hate you auto correct...

Their? There....

But...bout...

I need to slow down.

I would have considered a Mustang, but every single one I see is modified. Usually in a way completely lacking in taste or subtlety. There are rare exceptions, but most of those are automatic or priced unrealistically. Same goes for the Camaros and Firebirds. At least around here.

The Sebring is an awful car that just happens to have a convertible top.

I'll have to re-evaluate my options. Luckily I have all the time in the world.

Thanks for the opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back