All about Chlorine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. I work right smack in the middle of a few chlorine plants. In fact, that's where my plant gets much of our hydrogen feedstock from. We clean it up, get it pretty darn close to absolute zero in liquid form, and sell it like mad.

They've mostly switched over to more profitable bleach these days.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
Yep. I work right smack in the middle of a few chlorine plants. In fact, that's where my plant gets much of our hydrogen feedstock from. We clean it up, get it pretty darn close to absolute zero in liquid form, and sell it like mad.

The power stations used to use chlorine gas to disinfect the cooling water circuits, but have recently switched to chlorine dioxide, generated on site.

Liquid hypo/hydrogen peroxide and sulfuric acid drop the dangerous goods ranking significantly...and it's a health food...
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

http://mms4betterhealth.com/

Originally Posted By: JTK

My old man works at Olin.

JTK,
where does most of the industrial H2 come from ?

I built/commissioned a Knowles Cell bank early 90s, which we decommissioned a decade later, as security of H2 and cost of supply pushed the plant out (rightfully)

Originally Posted By: Subdued

My old man works at Olin.

I deal with them every day! Small world.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
JTK,
where does most of the industrial H2 come from ?

I built/commissioned a Knowles Cell bank early 90s, which we decommissioned a decade later, as security of H2 and cost of supply pushed the plant out (rightfully)

The biggest volume of H2 feedstock comes as a byproduct of the chlorine and bleach production industry. We buy roughly 300-600KCFH feedstock that way, clean it up and liquify it. It takes mass quantities of liquid nitrogen to use as refrigeration for the beginning stages of the process and of course, lots of megawatts of juice. A lot of our air separation capacity is used for refrigeration in the LH2 plants.

The #2 method these days is cracking it from natural gas with the use of a steam-methane reformer. Thing is, if you want to transport it at any volume long distance, you still have to liquify it and transport it by vacuum insulated tanker.

Electrolysis from water works too, but it's very low volume.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow

Yeah, we're heavily regulated because of the nature of the product and the volumes involved.

IMO, products like liquid oxygen are far more scary. I've been around "energy releases" from both O2 and H2. O2 is much more frightening. Everything burns in an O2 rich environment, concrete, steel, etc..

Yeah, there's been two incidents since I've been in heavy industry of people hosing down their clothes with oxy after working in dusty environments, and setting themselves on fire...don't know how many did it without incident in the time, but those two are memorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back