Chrysler SRT8 6.4 Hemi - Best Oil to Use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys. Great forum and I've enjoyed reading it heaps before but just officially joined. Just purchased this new car and love it but curious as to which oil to use ?
Factory fill is Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 but as we can't get this downunder in New Zealand my options appear to be limited to
Mobil 1 0W-40
Castrol Edge 0W-40
Liqui Moly 0W-40

From what I can tell it appears Mobil 1 meets more of the spec's that Chrysler state for this Hemi engine but not all of them. I can't find the TBN of the Castrol or Liqui Moly Oil's ?
According to the N.Z. website Mobil 1 has a TBN of 11.8 so seems like the most logical choice ? Thoughts ?

Last edited:
M1 0w40 ( see my sig...
wink.gif
)

Even though I can get PU 0w40, it's an unimpressive oil. PU euro 5w40 is closer to actually competing with M1. The only "spec" that M1 0w40 doesn't meet is a specific endurance test in taxi cabs or something. M1 would pass it easily, I'm sure.

Originally Posted By: domer10
Throw a can of liqui moly mos2 in there with the mobil 1 as well, i do same in my hemi, it loves it.

Thanks for that mate. I hadn't heard of that additive stuff before so just looked it up on the net. Looks good
smile.gif

Fwiw, M1 0w40 was the SRT factory fill up until Chrysler switched oil suppliers to Shell/Pennzoil. At first there was no Pennzoil 0w40, so one year of SRT engines got 5w40 before Pennzoil released PU 0w40. But as I said it's probably the weakest oil in the whole PU line. Last I read, it wasn't even the same GTL base as the other Ultrra grades, though it will probably eventually get switched over.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Fwiw, M1 0w40 was the SRT factory fill up until Chrysler switched oil suppliers to Shell/Pennzoil. At first there was no Pennzoil 0w40, so one year of SRT engines got 5w40 before Pennzoil released PU 0w40. But as I said it's probably the weakest oil in the whole PU line. Last I read, it wasn't even the same GTL base as the other Ultrra grades, though it will probably eventually get switched over.

Many thanks for that background info mate. That explains why my manual says to use 5W-40 oil but then also references too look at the oil filler cap on the engine which says to use 0W-40.

I've done 1,000 miles so I'm just curious seeing that my car was actually manufactured in Sep 2012, (has been sitting un-sold somewhere for a long time, seeing as I just bought it last month), when would you recommend doing the first oil change ?
I was thinking 6 months or 3,000 miles from the date of purchase but maybe sooner ?
Also the manufacture date begs the question on when the first brake fluid change is due doesn't it ? Usually best to change every 2 years due to moisture whether its used or not so I suppose that's disc brake fluid in Sep 2014 ?

Last edited:
I would change it out at 1000, then 3000, then proceed to go 5000, thats what I did with my hemi, and a few other of my friends. 2 short interval runs then go full run.

I would do a analysis after the 5000 run as well, get a baseline of your motor and how it handles the 0w40 and see wear and find a sweet spot for how long you can run your oil.

Thanks again mate, all good common sense stuff.
Have to follow the manufacturers guidelines on service frequency so that's every 6 months or 12,000 km's (7,500 miles) here.
I think the M1 can easily run that long once the engine is run in.

I'll have a good think about what you've suggested regarding 2 early oil changes. Gets a bit expensive down-under here in New Zealand with Mobil 1 at $99 Kiwi for 5 litres and genuine Mopar filters are $54 each with frieght.

Maybe an early oil and filter change at say 3,000 km's, (1,800 miles) and then again at 8,000 km's, (5,000 miles) is a balanced approach given high service costs here ?

Last edited:
just for the heck of it, I tried seeing what Shell's Recommendation was for that engine in your country.(Since Shell owns Pennzoil)

turns out they sold off their retail operation in NZ, so i used the lube-match on the Australian Shell Site.

everything just says "Refer to Dealer".

Ouch ya those prices are steep.....ya stick with 3000 that will be just fine, just follow break in procedure, there will be no problem at all!

Ouch ya those prices are steep.....ya stick with 3000 that will be just fine, just follow break in procedure, there will be no problem at all!

Filling it up ain't cheap either mate. BP 98 Ultimate fuel is $2.33 a litre in New Zealand. You gotta be a real enthusiast to own a thirsty big V8 Hemi down here
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: earlyre
just for the heck of it, I tried seeing what Shell's Recommendation was for that engine in your country.(Since Shell owns Pennzoil)

turns out they sold off their retail operation in NZ, so i used the lube-match on the Australian Shell Site.

everything just says "Refer to Dealer".

Bit of a joke isn't it !! Yeap, I think they're selling off their retail Operations in Australia too. I don;t think they've had much joy with their oil exploration down-under, maybe they're spitting the dummy completly down-under ?

Originally Posted By: Rodge

Filling it up ain't cheap either mate. BP 98 Ultimate fuel is $2.33 a litre in New Zealand. You gotta be a real enthusiast to own a thirsty big V8 Hemi down here
smile.gif

Holy Moley! That Converts to $7.56 USD/US Gal...cripes...
98 RON converts over to approx 94 Octane over here, which at the local BP is $4.01/gal ($1.24 NZD/L)

Last edited:
You got it mate, you gotta be bloody keen down here. Fact is, unless you live in some of the Arab countries, you lucky guys in the States have some of the cheapest fuel in the world and with all that shale oil coming on stream now, it should stay that way. Enjoy !! When I'm feeling broke I put the fuel guzzling Chrysler Hemi away and drive the diesel Merc. There's always a silver lining in every cloud LOL and life ain't too bad in 100% pure New Zealand. The air and water is very clean
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Marco620
0w40 Mobil 1 with LM Mos2

Thanks. Interesting too see a lot of love for Mobil 1 on this thread and another loving the LM Mos2 additive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back