Pennzoil Platinum 8150 miles Cruze 1.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mwball0
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Change it at 7500 miles next time. Based on previous UOA's I've done on my 1.4T Cruze, 7500-8000 miles seems to be when to change the oil in these cars.

I agree, going to stick with around 7k from now on.

If I were you, I would use Euro spec oils. That is originally EU engine. Mobil1 recommends M1 0W40ESP for that engine in Europe.
GM is using lower viscosity oils in the U.S due to EPA fleet demands.
maybe GC would not be bad idea.

edyvw,

Does XOM make M1 0W-40 ESP?

And why the need for a power robbing 40 wt. oil?
There is absolutely no evidence that these engines' wear are not controlled with a 10cst oil.

If and when the OLM calibration changes to Euro length intervals of 30,000kms.(18,000+ miles), then just maybe will M1 0W-40 be a good fit.

But seeing as GM reduced the maximum OCI from 12,500 miles down to around 8,000 miles for MY2013, I see zero benefit in recommending either M1 0W-40 or GC.

I occasionally will suggest those oils in a fuel diluting DI application such as the GM 2.4/5 or 3.6L engines, but the Cruze 1.4L Turbo, being port injected, does not need those thicker oils to compensate for fuel dilution.

Gary

Originally Posted By: Tucson Five-O
edyvw,

Does XOM make M1 0W-40 ESP?

And why the need for a power robbing 40 wt. oil?
There is absolutely no evidence that these engines' wear are not controlled with a 10cst oil.

If and when the OLM calibration changes to Euro length intervals of 30,000kms.(18,000+ miles), then just maybe will M1 0W-40 be a good fit.

But seeing as GM reduced the maximum OCI from 12,500 miles down to around 8,000 miles for MY2013, I see zero benefit in recommending either M1 0W-40 or GC.

I occasionally will suggest those oils in a fuel diluting DI application such as the GM 2.4/5 or 3.6L engines, but the Cruze 1.4L Turbo, being port injected, does not need those thicker oils to compensate for fuel dilution.

Gary

I was referring more to strength of oil film, which is most important for Turbo (GC or M1 0W40 being HTHS above 3.5).
That is why I said GC, because it will not influence MPG and power to the extent like M1 0W40 (ESP 0W40 is not available in the States).
If I had that car, I would stick to ACEA A3 oils, preferably in 30 weight.

edyvw,

I understand your preference for Euro A3 oils with HTHS 3.5 or greater.

The tuning on these 1.4L turbos is actually pretty mild in factory form, geared more towards durability.

The 138 HP generated is just shy of 100hp/L, which is nothing earth shaking. It is tuned, as compared to the NA 1.8l engine in the base Cruze LS, for a nice mid range (2500-4500rpm) torque boost.

There simply is no need for an A3 oil in these engines, nor are there any advantages, be it wear protection, fuel economy, or extended oil change intervals to make them worthwhile.

Now if we were talking about the Hyundai/Kia 274hp DI 2.0T, then I would agree that an A3 oil would be beneficial. It has a higher power density leading to potentially higher oil temperatures under boost, and with the fuel diluting effects of DI, the higher initial viscosity gives a greater margin of error.

It's simply a matter of matching the oil to the application. One size does not fit all.

Simply put the Cruze 1.4L in factory tune is not a high strung application needing a Euro A3 oil.

Now, if you modify the tune and increase the boost and power density, then the HTHS requirements can change, but in stock form, 3.0-3.1 HTHS is more than sufficient.

Gary

Originally Posted By: Tucson Five-O
edyvw,

I understand your preference for Euro A3 oils with HTHS 3.5 or greater.

The tuning on these 1.4L turbos is actually pretty mild in factory form, geared more towards durability.

The 138 HP generated is just shy of 100hp/L, which is nothing earth shaking. It is tuned, as compared to the NA 1.8l engine in the base Cruze LS, for a nice mid range (2500-4500rpm) torque boost.

There simply is no need for an A3 oil in these engines, nor are there any advantages, be it wear protection, fuel economy, or extended oil change intervals to make them worthwhile.

Now if we were talking about the Hyundai/Kia 274hp DI 2.0T, then I would agree that an A3 oil would be beneficial. It has a higher power density leading to potentially higher oil temperatures under boost, and with the fuel diluting effects of DI, the higher initial viscosity gives a greater margin of error.

It's simply a matter of matching the oil to the application. One size does not fit all.

Simply put the Cruze 1.4L in factory tune is not a high strung application needing a Euro A3 oil.

Now, if you modify the tune and increase the boost and power density, then the HTHS requirements can change, but in stock form, 3.0-3.1 HTHS is more than sufficient.

Gary

I disagree. I had that engine in 1.4ltr naturally aspirated version when I lived in Europe. the recommended oil weight was 40, while interval change was 10,000 miles.
That is very good engine, originally made for Opel Astra not American market.
There is no doubt that 5W30 is sufficient, but still, I would NEVER run in a car different oil than what was originally recommended.
Truth is, thicker oils in Europe are used because of higher speeds, but I would still go with ACEA A3. Same is for Buick Regal 2.0T that has 5W30 Dexos recommendation in the U.S, while in Europe is 5W40 or 0W40 recommendation.
In this case, if not ACEA A3, I would definitely go then with Mobil1 5W30 or Pennzoil Ultra 5W30. In the case of Mobil1 5W30 HTHS is 3.1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back