Oil Selection by Process of Elimination

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elimination of stock that is.
I have run M1 5w20 and 5w30 in my Mustang GT with little difference. It has 76000 miles. I went to Walmart this morning to buy either M1 0w30 or 5w20, I hadn't made up my mind. There was 2 qts of 0w30, plenty of 5w30,no 5w20 and a full shelf of 0w20 AFE which I ended up buying.
Did the change and can't notice any difference. I ran the GT hard and all is fine there too. Seems like a great selection so far.

In a GT Ford recommends a 20w? Who gives a shizzle about fuel economy driving a GT?

I would want a thicker film protecting my hot rod. But that's just me.

Jeff

Two summers ago I towed a 9000 lb GCW rig with my 08 Ram 1500 4.7. While running m1 0w20 AFE. In 110F ambient temps, 70 + mph, 10 hour runs. Not only did the idle oil pressure not drop a pound in comparison to just tooling around town, even immediately at the end off offramps, the UOA came back great. I am pretty impressed with the AFE oils.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
If I had a GT,it`d get 5W50.

I have an 03 SN95 with 4.6, not a Coyote.

Originally Posted By: pbm
M1 0w20 is a great choice for cars that spec 5w20 or 0w20....one of the best, IMO.

I like the Mobil 1 AFE line up myself. I use 0W20 and their 0W30 now. When my 0W20 supply runs out I will give 0W20 EP a try. For the money, the ease of availability, and that it's always on sale as part of an oil change special somewhere a few times a year, it was an easy choice for me.

Originally Posted By: hummdrumm
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
If I had a GT,it`d get 5W50.

I have an 03 SN95 with 4.6, not a Coyote.

Exactly. The 4.6 has proven that Xw20 is the right call for it over, and over, and over, and over. There's just no need for heavy oil in that engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back