Oils You'd Like To See In The Future

Status
Not open for further replies.
My personal choice? Quaker State Advanced Durability 0W-30. It would be a fine substitute to the Delo 0W-30 that I'll likely have a very hard time getting my hands on. It seems feasible, as Conoco Phillips has produced some synthetic blend 0W-20's, and there seems to be debate on "conventionals" being synthetic blends. Oh, and allow it to be purchased as cheap as the other grades of QSGB, such as 2.70/qt. on clearance at K Mart. What would you like to see?

A GTL based, Mobil 1 0W-30 EP with a VERY high, asteric polymer type driven VI (like 215+), and maxed out tri-nuclear moly levels, with a 12.5 + starting TBN, and a 3.2 HTHSV.
smile.gif

EXTREMELY UNLIKELY though, if not outright impossible as far as it actually ever happening.
frown.gif

What an interesting question! It would be neat to see a 0w/40, in which the viscosity virtually does not change. Who doesn't? But I feel the future of engine oils will slowly move to a 0w/0.

But this new Pennzoil natural gas oil seems like a small step in the right direction in terms of our most vivid engine oil dreams!

I'd like to see an oil that I can run for 3,000 miles and have no wear whatsoever.

That same oil would keep the engine extremely clean with no varnish staining at all.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
A GTL based, Mobil 1 0W-30 EP with a VERY high, asteric polymer type driven VI (like 215+), and maxed out tri-nuclear moly levels, with a 12.5 + starting TBN, and a 3.2 HTHSV.
smile.gif

EXTREMELY UNLIKELY though, if not outright impossible as far as it actually ever happening.
frown.gif

Oh, oh, oh, and low-SAPS!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'd like to see an oil that I can run for 3,000 miles and have no wear whatsoever.

That same oil would keep the engine extremely clean with no varnish staining at all.

So, going along that trend line, you could extrapolate that out to 5k, 10k, 20k, etc., also with zero wear whatsoever!

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
So, going along that trend line, you could extrapolate that out to 5k, 10k, 20k, etc., also with zero wear whatsoever!

I'd be happy with just 3,000 miles no wear. I don't mind changing oil.

How do they do that, and why can't that tech be brought into the production of all multigrade oils? I've seen the oil before, and it's an interesting product.

I'd be happy with just 3,000 miles no wear. I don't mind changing oil.

3k with zero wear, 3k with 10 ppm, what's the difference?

10 ppm at 3,000 miles is WAY too much wear.

10 ppm at 3,000 miles is WAY too much wear.

Darnit, how did I know you'd catch me on that?

Well, 10ppm at what wear type and size?
10.gif

I am quite seriously interested in a conventional 0W-30. In my opinion it would suit almost any need that is associated with towing, heavy stop-and-go driving, and would cover all aspects of the temperature range. Of course, so would a 0W-20 conventional. The idea behind it being a conventional is that it would likely be cheaper than a high end synthetic. Not anything wrong with a high end syn I might add, but someone like me honestly doesn't use a full synthetic to it's full advantage. I would be wasting it.

Originally Posted By: Red91
Aren't you avidly seeking Delo XLE?

oh yea. That too. I meant those are things id like see on shelves. i might would try them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back