So, appraently both grades of GC/BC are Dexos 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castrol Edge 0w30 and 0w40. On the dexos2 list, it lists both of them, and their approval being global.

I know that sometimes oils are different between the US and Europe, but I was under the impression that these two products are the same on both sides of the ocean, as they're actually meant for European cars. And the 0w40 even lists a Renault spec on the US bottles even though Renault hasn't done any business over here for at least 25 years. I'm not aware of any US-market Nissan or Infiniti that specifies Renault oil.

Yet, there is no dexos2 logo on the bottles.

The US 5w20 and 5w30 do have dexos1 approval and logo.

Even though you might not think dexos2 is relevant to the US, it is because the Cruze diesel specifies dexos2.

Great news, I didn't know GC/BC 0w-30 was dexos2. Question: I thought I'd heard that its considered OK to use a dexos2 oil in a gasser, and thats what Europeans are doing. Is that true? If so, I might put my DInjection 3.6L 2011 GM V6 on it.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Castrol Edge 0w30 and 0w40. On the dexos2 list, it lists both of them, and their approval being global.

I know that sometimes oils are different between the US and Europe, but I was under the impression that these two products are the same on both sides of the ocean, as they're actually meant for European cars. And the 0w40 even lists a Renault spec on the US bottles even though Renault hasn't done any business over here for at least 25 years. I'm not aware of any US-market Nissan or Infiniti that specifies Renault oil.

Yet, there is no dexos2 logo on the bottles.

The US 5w20 and 5w30 do have dexos1 approval and logo.

Even though you might not think dexos2 is relevant to the US, it is because the Cruze diesel specifies dexos2.

Wth is BC?

Take note of the exact name. There will be more than one Castrol Edge 0w40. The USA sold one will most likley be 0w40 A3/B4 so not Dexos 2.

I don't know about Europe but in Australia 5w30 Dx2 can be used in 5w30 Dx1 applications. I believe some petrol engines actually spec Dx2

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supercity
Take note of the exact name. There will be more than one Castrol Edge 0w40. The USA sold one will most likley be 0w40 A3/B4 so not Dexos 2.

Exactly. There are some 5 different Castrol Edge 0w-30 oils available around the world. The one we have here in the US is not Dexos2 approved.

AFAIK, the Edge 0w-30 we have here in the US has sulfated ash content of about 1.0-1.1. Dexos2 max limit is 0.8.

I was only able to find two 0w30's and only a single 0w40.

One of the 0w30 Edges is A5/B5 and the other is the low-SAPS formula for dexos2. I guess our version is different altogether! Or are the basic ACEA standards leaning towards lower SAPS as well? Do you think our Edge 0w30 will switch to he new Dx2 formula? I also noticed that the international dexos2 variant is now API SM rather than just SL.

The lone 0w40 seems to be the same A3/B4 oil and otherwise meets all the standards that our 0w40 meets: A3/B4, SN, VW 502/505, LL01, A40, etc.

As it is now, the only dexos2 available over here is Valvoline's Synpower MST which isn't officially licensed.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
I was only able to find two 0w30's and only a single 0w40.

One of the 0w30 Edges is A5/B5 and the other is the low-SAPS formula for dexos2. I guess our version is different altogether!

Up until recently, it was believed that our Edge 0w-30's equivalent in Europe was this oil:

Castrol Edge Professional A3 0w-30

However, this German spec sheet was recently updated, and now mentions "Titanium FST" whereas our Edge 0w-30 does not, so it looks like they're no longer the same.

Quote:

Do you think our Edge 0w30 will switch to he new Dx2 formula?

No idea, but Castrol should do just that. They currently have two full SAPS oils that meet the same Euro specs here: Edge 0w-30 and Edge 0w-40. No point having them both. So, they should keep Edge 0w-40 as full SAPS and then change the Edge 0w-30 formulation to something with lower SAPS so that it could meet Dexos2.

Yeah, but most of those are "professional" aka dealer/OEM use only, and the Elixion is HDEO, so they don't count
48.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back