How much do you pay for E0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Chris142
$0.Cant get it here

Agreed. E0 isn't available in the whole state of California.

To be expected. Anything really good cannot be bought in Calif.

Same for Kreen. Also, we don't have 93 octane either. We only have lousy gas at higher price than most states.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Chris142
$0.Cant get it here

Agreed. E0 isn't available in the whole state of California.

To be expected. Anything really good cannot be bought in Calif.

Same for Kreen. Also, we don't have 93 octane either. We only have lousy gas at higher price than most states.

It's possible to get 93 AKI octane in California. However, 93 octane isn't specifically refined for regular sale. It would have to be part 100 octane unleaded racing fuel, and I thought the only distributor now with CARB legal 100 octane is VP Racing Fuels.

There are several VP Racing branded gas stations in California. The one I've seen says it has 93. I also know of an independent with a pump that blends 94/96/98/100.

The no-ethanol station I've been going to for some years usually has 87 at .15-.20 more than Walmart, which is the cheapest in town yet is E10. I got close to 10% better mileage on the pure stuff in the Park Avenue than I did with ethanol-laced gas, so until the price difference exceeded 10% (.30 on a 3.00 gallon of fuel), it was worth it to me to spend the extra.

I run the Regal on the same juice. One of these days I'll run a test, fill up with E10 and run two weeks (if I can), then repeat with non-ethanol.

87 octane no-ehtnaol gas here is 0.20 more than the 87 octane gas with ethanol. With my slight increased mpg running the E0, that's about the break even point cost wise. However, I'd still run it even if it costs a bit more because I don't like the idea of ethanol in my fuel system. Me and a half dozen friends/neighbors have lost a few pieces of yard equipment to it eating the carbs. No problems since we all switched to E0. Peace of mind, real or not.

Must be doing something wrong regarding fuel and your small engines. I have over 500 hrs on a John Deere rider that has had E10 for it's entire life. Same for a briggs pressure washer unit.

Originally Posted By: hatt
$.20 is likely at least the break even point for E0 vs E10. A bunch of smart folks with a calculator are buying it. I was getting around 1.5 more mpgs with E0. At $.20 more that would make E0 cheaper.

Many ethanol proponents here have commented on what a wonderful agency the EPA is and how smart they are.

I wonder how many of them have read the Inspector General's report that came out!

True, ethanol is not the purest thing to burn in the universe, but while it does have a component or two that "may" be an issue, like various aldehydes, any evidence that this is a serious concern is spurious at best. No one can fully agree if it should be considered a carcinogen or a threat to health in the concentrations of vehicle exhaust emissions.

But, it has also been shown that emission particulates, that have a serious detrimental effect on those with asthma, are greatly reduced and E85 shows a reduction of almost 50% in the CHG that are considered responsible to any climate change, if you live in that mindset camp. And it has been shown that since ethanol burns cooler and slower, there is a more complete burn in the cylinders as opposed to petroleum products.

No matter what we burn in the engine, except maybe burning hydrogen, there are going to be some emissions that are not desirable.

And what of the new Extreme Boosted Direct Injection (EBDI) engines that are being tested now that use E85? A 3.2L EBDI engine on E85 gets the same or more hp and torque as a 6.6L Duramax diesel, while getting better fuel economy and is cheaper to build. No other emission stuff needed than what is being used on gas engines now. Just cats. Several of these are in testing right now in Chevy Silverado 3500HD pickups. Oh, that they are not restricted to E85 but can adjust to lower ethanol blends, you just lose some of the performance. So what would be cleaner? A 3.2L E85 engine or a diesel fired 6.6L Duramax? That really should be a no brainer answer.

And it gets better mpg than diesel! Try that with you gas only engine! it is out there for you to see for yourself. Just do a search on EBDI engines. Ricardo is the main design group that is working on this with GM.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Many ethanol proponents here have commented on what a wonderful agency the EPA is and how smart they are.

Of course they are. They use E0 on their EPA MPG tests.

Here all premium fuel is ethanol free except for husky/Mohawk branded fuel. I think it was $1.42 per litre this morning when I drove by the pumps,so roughly 6 bucks a gallon.
Since this warmer weather has hit us I'm up to 28mpg with premium,ethanol free fuel. I should try a couple tanks of 92 octane e-10 just to see what kind if numbers it gets in this weather.
I am trying out a new mix of toluene/xylene and acetone,all equal parts to equal 1/2 litre,and 1/2 litre tc-w3 to go into my gas tank at every fill up.
I'll see it the mix works better that just one or the other.

OK, I went to http://www.pure-gas.org/ and located 2 gas stations near my commute. One (very shady) has 89 E0 for $1.10 more than 87 E10 and another has 91.5 E0 for $0.64 more than 87 E10. Not cost effective for cars. Will consider it for my boat though as I had problems with E10 and carb deposits lately.

thanks to friendly_jacek i found that Quick Trip has E0 here in Wichita. its at a new station. have not been there yet.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Of course they are. They use E0 on their EPA MPG tests.

haha, you betcha they do! How else can you pump up those numbers...

The big downside to E-0 where I live is that it is sometimes $1 more a gallon. Only found one place in mid Ga so far that doesn't gouge it.

Not cost effective in a cents per mile comparison, but I run it since a tank will last 1-2 months and I don't want to have an issue with bad/stale gas.

update. Wichita KS Quick Trip. on 3.31.14 got 10 gal of E-0. cost $3.74. octane 89 in a half full 18 gal tank. that had 91 octane E-10.. but i think air temp has more effect on MPG, than my driving.

Originally Posted By: Sonataman
The big downside to E-0 where I live is that it is sometimes $1 more a gallon. Only found one place in mid Ga so far that doesn't gouge it.

Not cost effective in a cents per mile comparison, but I run it since a tank will last 1-2 months and I don't want to have an issue with bad/stale gas.
E10 will last 2 months. As you pointed out, paying $1 a gallon makes this very ineffective on the cost/benefit side of things.

I know of several places to get E0 for only about 15 to 20 cents more than regular E10.

Originally Posted By: justinh384

I know of several places to get E0 for only about 15 to 20 cents more than regular E10.

The closest is 20 miles from work, other than that I called all the others close by according to Pure-gas.org and they were all similar. My normal spot is usually .65 per gallon higher.

I hit one about 190 miles south of Atl while heading to Long Boat Key and paid the same price as E10.
I asked they guy how he sold it for that and he said he had to plan how much he needed one month in advance, but that allowed him to offer it for the same price.

Yesterday I stopped at a station new to me on Airline Hwy., U.S. 61, in the suburbs. "No Ethanol Here" read the signs, and the pumps were branded Sunoco (it used to be a BP station). Regular 87 was $3.59 -- but I was down, I thought, to fumes, so I filled up.

Thanks for the link.
A fast and easy to use site.
Using it, it appears that E0 availability in OH at anything that could resonably be considered a gas station for road vehicles is close to zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back