2008 Accord Timing Belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings-
the timing belt replacement interval for my 2008 Accord V6 is 7 years or 105,000 miles. I'm coming up on the 7 years but the car has only 37,000 miles. Do I change the belt based on time or just let it go for a while? I was thinking of just changing the belt wo the idler, water pump and tensioner because these parts last much longer than 37,000 miles. What's the collective opinion?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3314529/2

On page 3 of my post had some comments related to t-belt replacement on my 100k 2008 accord. IMO if you're going to the trouble of belt replacement consider replacing the tensioner along with it. I suggest using all OEM parts not aftermarket. I think the tensioner and idler rollers probably have a lot of life left but they are not big cost items. Water pump can probably stay.

The reason I mention these other parts is that it's not a 1 hr job to get to the belt, sometimes it's better to replace adjacent stuff that is accessible at that time. But I will also say that in my case all parts at 100k looked great.

Originally Posted By: willbur
Greetings-
the timing belt replacement interval for my 2008 Accord V6 is 7 years or 105,000 miles. I'm coming up on the 7 years but the car has only 37,000 miles. Do I change the belt based on time or just let it go for a while? I was thinking of just changing the belt wo the idler, water pump and tensioner because these parts last much longer than 37,000 miles. What's the collective opinion?

Are you changing the belt yourself? If you are really worried about the condition of the belt maybe you can remove one of the top timing belt covers to check the belt condition. If it's bad and you are doing it yourself you could get away with just changing the belt. I changed the timing belt on my wifes 97 civic in 2010 for the first time at 127,xxx KM. The belt was still in excellent shape.

Regards, JC.

Rubber belt, 7 years in harsh environment. IMO change it.

Is your engine an interference design? Definitely change it.

"Probably ok" with the risk of buying a new engine is where you are....

I wouldn't change it. I changed the belt in my Grandmother's Chrysler Cirrus based on age - It was 10 years old and had about 40k on it. The belt looked brand new! Easily could of gone twice as long, there wasn't one crack to be found in the entire belt.

The odd thing is the serp belt was trashed.

I would leave it for another couple years.

Mine went 186,000 miles and 17 years and it still didn't break, that's just when I changed it. It was very cracked.

Greetings-

I am all over the place on this one because it only has 37K but i have come to the answer i would change everything.
Tensioners do not like to be recompressed, they can be but it can damage them internally if not enough care is taken and fail later with catastrophic results.
The pump and idlers are not big ticket items on these anyway and a failure of one of these could have a bad result in this engine (interference engine).

This job is a PITA, getting the crank bolt off starts the festivities off with a bang.
Knowing that i have to say do it once and do it right and put it to bed, use OEM parts from an online dealer and save a few bucks.

When I wanted to replace my wife's 03 TL-S timing belt two years ago my local mechanic recommended against changing it (or them, since it's a V6). It has about 65k miles now. Guess it all comes down to how lucky you feel.
I have the parts for the job still sitting next to my front door, when I had more time available so was going to do it on a long weekend.

Originally Posted By: spackard
When I wanted to replace my wife's 03 TL-S timing belt two years ago my local mechanic recommended against changing it (or them, since it's a V6). It has about 65k miles now. Guess it all comes down to how lucky you feel.

Is that the original belt on there?

If so time wise you are getting close the outer limit for that part. Don't forget time is at least as important as mileage on rubber belts, unless the thing is Kevlar reinforced or the like.

I would seriously start looking into changing that belt, because when it goes your engine is definitely going to be toast.

That model IS an interference engine!

Seriously though, between ozone, oil leaks, and road debris, and just plain age, changing the T belt would be very wise.
I have personally seen water pumps, tensioners, and idlers seize up or come apart and destroy a good belt. Also, replacing a t-belt driven water pump is not fun, nor is it easy. Save the labor and do them together, whether its actually t-belt driven or not.

On some vehicles (older VG30s for instance, the pump is located behind the t-belt, however it is v-belt driven and can be removed without disturbing the t-belt. In this case leave it.

T belts should be changed from age, this is well known and done all the time in the Ferrari world. Low mileage + time = T belt job or pricey new motor.

You guys are silly, Honda dealers only charge around $400 for the job and your risking several thousand dollar engines not doing it. If your handy you can do it yourself for less than half of that.

At my grandparents FL house we had two low mileage but 10 year old Accords belts done in the past couple of years. One at 20k the other at 40k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

You guys are silly, Honda dealers only charge around $400 for the job and your risking several thousand dollar engines not doing it. .

Nope. It's more than that because most of the dealers will want to replace the tensioner as well since if they are recompressed they can often become damaged.
Also because it is much cheaper to replace the water pump while the TB is being done so it is best to take care of this now even if the car has only 70k on it.

Last edited:
Greetings-

willbur,

When it comes to your timing belt don't take a chance! Get it changed including the pump.

Durango

400 dollars????? Seriously??? WOW...more like around 1200 when you add in the water pump, new tensioners, new belts all the way around.

There is a Honda dealer in NJ near work that I called yesterday about replacing the T-belt. They quoted $398 for the belt,wp and idler.The tensioner was an extra $90. I asked twice if this is the correct price. They said it was a special offer(but they offer it several times a year). A co-worker verified the deal is for real.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

You guys are silly, Honda dealers only charge around $400 for the job and your risking several thousand dollar engines not doing it. .

Nope. It's more than that because most of the dealers will want to replace the tensioner as well since if they are recompressed they can often become damaged.
Also because it is much cheaper to replace the water pump while the TB is being done so it is best to take care of this now even if the car has only 70k on it.

Last two were done at the dealer for $450, and its still cheaper than a motor! These were for a 2000 and 02 Accord. Dealers run specials all the time.

Its an easy job.

Last edited:
Hamilton Honda?? They have assembly line operation! They probably do 3-4 timing belt jobs per day per bay! I had thought about driving there for the job but end up giving it to my usual mechanic even though he charges me more. I need to make sure he stays in business, so I don't have trouble paying reasonable rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back