Wix/NAPA Gold vs Fram Ultra Synthetic (same price)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Wix/NAPA Gold for some time for OCIs typically 6 months/5-6K miles. I was in Walmart today, and saw the Fram Ultra Synthetic filter, and it was priced within a few cents (literally) of the NAPA Gold I typically use. So having said that, I'm tempted to use the Fram Ultra going forward, as it's tough to pass up a full synthetic filter for the same price as a non-synthetic filter.

Does anyone have any feelings toward one or the other? Again, price isn't an issue in this case... it's really filter vs filter. Thanks!

If it is a choice just between those two and if nothing has changed with the construction of the Napa Gold since the last time I checked, the Fram beats it hands down. The wire backed media is a major plus (at least in my book) and the synthetic media is another positive attribute.

The choice would be easy--Fram Ultra.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Wire backed full sybthwtic media vs paper....Fram Ultra

( NAPA Gold is a synthetic(glass fiber) and paper blend, BTW.) Does anybody have a reason why Fram Ultra is thought to be better, or is it just a hunch? Like ISO 4548-12 results for less than 20 microns maybe?

5-6k mile O/FCIs?

It won't matter one bit. Seriously, it simply won't matter. They are both excellent filters, and either is grossly under utilized at your planned interval. And since the cost is a wash, we might as well speak to other criteria ...

You might as well have a debate about which color of can compliments the block paint. Or perhaps which weighs less so that you get a micro-fractional increase in fuel mileage. Or which has a smoother exterior to cut down on wind resistance ...

Last edited:
Alotta guys will tell you to get the Fram - but if for some reason you gotta take your car to a mechanic and he puts the car up on a lift, you're gonna have to suffer the embarrassment of having a Fram on there.

Why embarrass with Fram ? I'm currently having Fram PH2849A on my S2000, it is about 2" longer than OEM.

No start up noise, no sign that the oil isn't filtered.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Why embarrass with Fram ?

Brand bigotry ...

The Fram hate is just like the PYB and QS hate. Running both will result in immediate engine failure.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
5-6k mile O/FCIs?

It won't matter one bit. Seriously, it simply won't matter. They are both excellent filters, and either is grossly under utilized at your planned interval. And since the cost is a wash, we might as well speak to other criteria ...

You might as well have a debate about which color of can compliments the block paint. Or perhaps which weighs less so that you get a micro-fractional increase in fuel mileage. Or which has a smoother exterior to cut down on wind resistance ...

I have fallen into a routine of 6-month service intervals, trying to go through my vehicles once in April and once in October. Typically, that will mean about 5-6K miles in that time frame. It's just easier to knock them out in one or two days than play it by miles and have to do them one here and one there. I try to service the lawn equipment on the same days as the vehicles.

I bought a Fram Ultra just to check it out. It was $8.97 plus tax (Walmart) for a total of $9.54. I don't recall the NAPA Gold total cost, but it was pushing $8 out the door if I remember correctly. I priced the Wix through my Amsoil PC account, and if I buy an entire year's worth in one shot, the cost averaged out to be a bit over $7 a filter including shipping and taxes. If I buy all my oil and other Amsoil items on the same shipment, the cost would keep going down as shipping would become less expensive per item as more items are added on one shipment.

I'm still pondering at the moment. The build quality of the Fram Ultra feels pretty darn good. And a Wix/NAPA Gold/P1 will be within about $2-$2.50 per filter of the Fram Ultra at Walmart's prices. Theoretically, I could run the Ultra for two OCIs, but I prefer to change the filter with each oil change. Is that $2ish spread over time worth the increased build quality of the Fram Ultra? That's the bottom line question I suppose...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back