Mobil 1 - 0w40 - Panamera - 6000km ( possible rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

UOA from Wifes Panamera ... Card developed noise from around oil pan possible rod bearing

5-6k Km on this sample winter driving a lot idle.

359abrq.jpg

Looks good. No problems are evident from your analysis.

I'm guessing you don't have a rod knock. It's something else.

That doesnt sound like a rod knock to me. A rod knock produces a very deep hard knocking sound. Not sure what that noise is but I don't think it is a rod knock. Also if you had a rod knock you would have a ton of wear metals in the oil.

The wear metals in this UOA don't indicate a failing bearing, although iron, aluminum and copper look high for the short miles run, but this may simply be characteristic of this engine.
Maybe a trip to the Porsche dealer is in order?
This new noise obviously came from somewhere, the car is under warranty and you should expect better than decent customer service on a car the price of this one.
Even if you do have a failing rod bearing, that's something for the service folks to determine and remedy.

the prominent sound looks more like being originated on a power-steering pump or "some sort" of air-pump,
airpumps are something that seems to me being more common these days on modern engines, namely more on diesels... because they don't have natural vaccum on the intake manifold

Hard to tell from the video but it sounds like an accessory on the front of the engine is going.

Originally Posted By: emaax
the prominent sound looks more like being originated on a power-steering pump or "some sort" of air-pump,
airpumps are something that seems to me being more common these days on modern engines, namely more on diesels... because they don't have natural vaccum on the intake manifold

Many German cars still use an exhaust air pump to lower cold start emissions. This may be the noise he is searching for. Modern exhaust air pumps are operated by electric motors.

That in mind, OBDII is supposed to determine if the air pump is functioning properly. I don't know if air pump problems are happening to you. That in mind, a pump could develop noise before it stops functioning correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back