Headlight Restoration Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used wax on my newest car and after 5 years it still was pretty clear, and it saw a lot of sun.

The three older cars...have had to buff them out a few times each...Meguiars PlastX. Used scotchbrite the first time to remove bugs and unevenness. Lasted about 6 mos. Now just put PlastX on paper towel and buff by hand. Can tell it hazes again in a month. Waxing doesnt seem to prolong, or I dont wax enough.

I ran out of PlastX and got some Blue Magic on sale. Smells heavily of ammonia and seems grittier, though I havent tried it yet. Because I dont let it go long without polishing, I dont think I need this heavy grit, just a buffing compound. Wish I had bought plastx again. One day I will try a less gritty, cheapo dollar store toothpaste, something like regular Crest.

Its not that big of a deal to buff out the headlights periodically, but I kinda hate doing it on the car (GM) that has the plastic nipples sticking out. Easy to bust your fingers up. What is the purpose of those anyway?

Last edited:
A couple of minutes each month is all I need to keep the lenses clear...makes a noticeable difference for hardly any effort...just use "quick-wax"...whatever's at hand.

...last used was Surf City Speed Demon Wax detailer....worked great.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I've been using this at every washing. Time will tell.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.do?q=11461

It'll be interesting to see how it works for you. I did a "side by side" test on my wife's G35, protecting one size and not the other. They both re-hazed the same within a month or two. Maybe washing the car more often and retreating it would help. At least that stuff smells good?

Heath

Yeah, it does have a nice aroma. I have been told that commercial car washes will remove the UV resistant coating from the plastic much faster than hand washing with mild (car wash) soap. I don't wash my car too often anymore. I would say once every other month, or so. I only hand wash.

My experience is similar...about 2 months and I have re-haze. The Blue Magic is the quickest/easiest I've used. I just use it with a rag and get the same results as the drill/pad with the other.

I think the Meguiar's product is only for maintaining headlights that still have their UV coatings intact. Once they haze the only thing I would try for long term protection is a specifically formulated UV blocking clear coat. That requires prepping, masking, and spray painting.

I doubt any easy-to-apply product is going to take the place of the factory coating.

I use dupli-color HLR100 for the past 2+ yrs on both my wifey's camry and my fit. The clearcoat runs like water and while thin enough to flow and cover the lens nicely (no wavy coating), the coating actually lasted about 1.5~2yrs before it starts to haze a bit (faint haze, very faint).

Hexk! I just finished re-coating my wifey's camry headlamps past weekend after lasting 2yrs of outdoor exposure to elements and UV rays...

Been satisfied so far with the product.

Q.

Originally Posted By: FL-400S

Its not that big of a deal to buff out the headlights periodically, but I kinda hate doing it on the car (GM) that has the plastic nipples sticking out. Easy to bust your fingers up. What is the purpose of those anyway?

They are used for headlamp level alignment and adjustment....but they haven't used that type of nipple for at least a decade or more now. Many cars have built in bubble levels on the lamps themselves.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
They are used for headlamp level alignment and adjustment....but they haven't used that type of nipple for at least a decade or more now. Many cars have built in bubble levels on the lamps themselves.

It's correct that the nubs were for headlamp alignment with older aiming machines, but most current headlamp systems have moved to the visually-aimable design, without external nubs or bubble levels. They will be marked as such on the lamp markings with either "VO" or "VOR" or "VOL", and will come with a centering mark in the very center of the beam...usually a small crosshairs, square, or circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back