List of Licensed Dexos 1 Brands ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah unfortunately that is the only place to find out what is licensed unless you look at the spec of each brand.

It still baffles me that gm offers little to no spec on dexos that is easy to find and uses a site that looks like a five year old designed it to tell who is licensed. You would think that if gm is running this cqa company then it would have more mention of gm other than a logo and wording that looks like it was pulled out of thin air.

CQA is the same company that does the Chrysler ATF+4 licensing. I don't think GM actually runs it, but it wouldn't be a surprise if they did somehow.

Either way, dexos is just unearned income mainly for money. They could've simply released specs for it, and even if they had an approval list they don't have to charge for it. For example, Porsche doesn't charge the oil companies for A40 approval. BMW doesn't charge for LL-01 approval. Honda doesn't charge for HTO-06 approval. GM didn't even charge for 4718M!

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
It still baffles me that gm offers little to no spec on dexos that is easy to find and uses a site that looks like a five year old designed it to tell who is licensed. You would think that if gm is running this cqa company then it would have more mention of gm other than a logo and wording that looks like it was pulled out of thin air.

What the OP posted is the list, but it is not the home page of dexos. The home page is here: http://www.gmdexos.com/ From here, you can navigate to the list that the OP posted.

The main site has a video that explains what dexos is and does, although it's fairly rudimentary. Then again, most GM vehicle owners are not BITOGers and don't require that level of detail.

GM has actually done more than some other manufacturers in that respect. Good luck finding a similar site for BMW or VW.

Maxlife is one of them? Is that the full synthetic or the blend?

I am very surprised to see Meijer oil on there as well.. I just assumed it was the same as ST seeing how it is blended by Warren.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Maxlife is one of them? Is that the full synthetic or the blend?

I am very surprised to see Meijer oil on there as well.. I just assumed it was the same as ST seeing how it is blended by Warren.

Which makes one wonder why ST isn't. Meijer, AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts and other store brands cut the mustered. I'm sure that ST is good enough but my hunch means nothing in a warranty claim.

Originally Posted By: cookieman214
Originally Posted By: Warstud
For those of you that are Brand Loyal and drive a vehicle that requires Dexos 1. Here's a list of licensed brands that are now Dexos 1 approved.

http://www.centerforqa.com/gm/dexos1-brands

This list is copyright 2013, and it does not show the Valvoline Dexos 1 approved oils.

Valvoline is there, their MaxLife and Synpower, all there.

This is an interesting list in that it appears that just about any API SN syn or blend oil will meet dexos 1.
It's also interesting in that there are so many regional brands of oil sold in North America that I've never heard of.
It also appears that those blenders who initially resisted paying the licensing fees have now gotten on this bandwagon, maybe to sustain bulk oil sales to dealers.

[/quote]I most likely missed it, but isn't one spec a 50/50 synthetic blend?

The oil formula, syn blend, conventional, or synthetic, used to pass the performance tests is not specified. The tests themselves are tough enough to need at least some synthetic to pass.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Full list of dexos specifications is included in this handbook:

https://www.aftonchemical.com/Lists/Brochure/Attachments/40/Specification_Handbook.pdf

I most likely missed it, but isn't one spec a 50/50 synthetic blend?

Only syn blend that actually says 50% SYN and 50% Convential on the bottle is Penzoil Syn BLend.

Benefits of Pennzoil® Synthetic Blend dexos1™ Motor Oil

Specially formulated for use in all GM vehicles
Helps prevent sludge and other damaging deposits
Provides proven wear protection
Controls high-temperature oxidation and deposits
Contains at least 50% synthetic base oil for added oxidation stability, improved volatility and low temperature properties
Backed by the Pennzoil Lubrication Limited Warranty

I do not think the rest are 50/50 or Im sure they would state it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back