Mills Fleet Farm firearms policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the Mills Fleet Farm in Ankeny for the first time the other day. As I typically do, I scanned the door for any store policy concerning firearms. After the typical statement directing people bringing guns in to be serviced to unload and check them at the counter, there was a statement that said "This does not apply to people carrying concealed weapons. Mills Fleet Farm welcomes concealed carry owners" I am probably a little off on the actual wording, but am close enough that it still shows their support for law abiding firearms owners.

Just writing in to let people who care about this sort of thing know, so they can support the stores that support us.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I'm sure the first time they get robbed, that policy will change.,,

Why?

They are most likely not going to be robbed by people who legally carry.

Besides, If a would be robber reads that sign he is very likely to go somewhere else....

I doubt that, most criminals would rather pick a no concealed carry store, so they can rob with impunity.

Last edited:

No doubt. I know I went through an extensive state and FBI background check,fingerprinting,eight hour class and about $200.00 so I could get a carry permit and rob stores.

Last edited:

A criminal with no licence to carry would certainly ignore a sign that prohibited concealed carry. So, how would a licenced carry person increase the chance of robbery? And how are those restrictive NJ gun laws working out for you?

Originally Posted By: redbone3

A criminal with no licence to carry would certainly ignore a sign that prohibited concealed carry. So, how would a licenced carry person increase the chance of robbery? And how are those restrictive NJ gun laws working out for you?

While I'm not fundamentally a fan of the nj gun restrictions, I've never felt the need to carry for my safety, living both in the northern more urban areas and the southern more rural areas.

Besides college, I've never lived more than 8 miles outside the population center of a top five US city, and more than half my life, less than five from the #1, NYC.

Stinks that where you live, the people are of such horrid character and makeup that you have to run scared anywhere you go.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Stinks that where you live, the people are of such horrid character and makeup that you have to run scared anywhere you go.

It only takes one person of horrid character. I wish there were places where you could go and know that there is not one person of horrid character. Unfortunately that is not our world.

JHZR2, it stinks you have to get in your usual superior than thou comment that you seem to always have handy. You dont understand a lot of things, and obviously, why people carry is one of them.

Thanks to the OP for the information!

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
I went to the Mills Fleet Farm in Ankeny for the first time the other day. As I typically do, I scanned the door for any store policy concerning firearms. After the typical statement directing people bringing guns in to be serviced to unload and check them at the counter, there was a statement that said "This does not apply to people carrying concealed weapons. Mills Fleet Farm welcomes concealed carry owners" I am probably a little off on the actual wording, but am close enough that it still shows their support for law abiding firearms owners.

Just writing in to let people who care about this sort of thing know, so they can support the stores that support us.

Nice!

I see more signs popping up like this and I am glad more businesses trust CCPers, and see criminals such as robbers as more of a threat than armed citizens.

Besides, where has it been documented that a CCPer ever committed a robbery?

With the rise in drug use and meth labs, the citizen now more than ever needs armed self protection.

One's attitude toward self protection with a firearm would change if that person has ever been the victim of a knife stabbing or gang action.

I am a martial arts practitioner as well but there are times when one needs an "equalizer." And please don't buy into the propaganda that martial arts alone will save you.

It is unfortunate that many of the NE states want to restrict the Constitutional ownership of firearms and manufacture a police state.

Mola in East Central Iowa

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: c502cid
JHZR2, it stinks you have to get in your usual superior than thou comment that you seem to always have handy. You dont understand a lot of things, and obviously, why people carry is one of them.

I don't think that JHZR2 is wrong so to speak, but I think that he is failing to take into account the (often times) randomness of crime. Sure, he has never been a victim, the same as millions of other people. Yes, even in high crime areas. But it can, and DOES happen and often cannot be predicted. Carrying concealed in a legal and respectful manner has no effect on others, because they'll never know the other person is carrying. Heck, there are those that know me, see me on an almost daily basis and don't know that I carry. And fortunately I've never needed to or even felt the urge to display or advertise in public that I carry.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised that with the number of members on this board who would hardly even consider crawling under a lifted vehicle without 3 forms of support because they are so cautious and value their life so much, that more (members) don't walk the street armed to the teeth... Instead many balk at carrying. Not sure what the odds of a properly lifted/supported vehicle falling (with one form of support) compared to crime stats, but think about it.

Even in our own little microsphere here at BITOG, we have a few to several members who have thwarted violent crime with firearms. Some by merely drawing and some by firing to stop an attacker. If it can happen to them, it can happen to you.

In the end, we do what we see fit. No matter how you go about it, stay safe out there!

-Eric-

I don,t wanna go to deep into the whole weapons rules discussion. Being a Dane, I risk a month in jail for carrying a pocket knife with a blade more then 7 cm. Therefore the whole idea of carrying firearms like a cellphone seems prette absurd to me. But ofcouse I have never bin to/lived in the US. and my only experience with firearms are from a 9 month draft.

But where I really don,t get the point is why people are hiding a weapon. I would guess carrying the weapon for all to see would make it a better warning to criminals then hiding it.

Originally Posted By: shDK

But where I really don,t get the point is why people are hiding a weapon. I would guess carrying the weapon for all to see would make it a better warning to criminals then hiding it.

In some cases yes, say a thief, he will choose an easier target.
However with a deranged mental case or a jihadist, that would not deter him. Because not everyone carries, the goblin walks into a store/business etc, the one guy with a visible weapon is the one he shoots first, before anyone realizes a crime is about to take place.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: c502cid

I don't think he meant to come off as superior. I do believe has has probably been lucky enough not to have encountered random crime.

We just need to let technology catch up, and title all guns, with a record kept of hammer and bullet marks.

This would need to be done only once in a guns life, so long as no changes are made to the gun, and would take 10 minutes.

Police tech shoots two rounds with the gun, usually with under powered rounds, then the shell casing and bullets are sent to the state lab for computer entry.

Use an un-title gun in a crime, or get caught with one, would be a crime.
Bullets and shell casings used in crimes would usually be easy to identify which weapon they came from.

Shotgun ammo would have a chemical ID (fingerprint) added to the powder, unique to each batch, that would allow for identification of purchaser...

Quote:
This would need to be done only once in a guns life, so long as no changes are made to the gun, and would take 10 minutes.

And you don't think a criminal would not find a way to remove those marks?

That idea is about absurd as the laser engraved firing pin mark.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
We just need to let technology catch up, and title all guns, with a record kept of hammer and bullet marks.

Police tech shoots two rounds with the gun, usually with under powered rounds, then the shell casing and bullets are sent to the state lab for computer entry.

Bullets and shell casings used in crimes would usually be easy to identify which weapon they came from.

Shotgun ammo would have a chemical ID (fingerprint) added to the powder, unique to each batch, that would allow for identification of purchaser...

That makes life harder only for legitimate gun owners.
" Use and un-title gun in a crime" would be a crime??

Its already a crime to use a stolen gun in a crime! This makes no sense. Like that would deter a bank robber, well i decided not to use an untitled gun in the bank heist, or i could get in trouble!!

Yes, make using a weapon during the commission of a crime, a crime? What a novel idea!!!

Also, what is wrong with the existing technology used to I.D. shooters, weapons and their projectiles? We already have the ability to figure out who fired what and when during a multi good guy/multi bad guy shootout.

What ridiculous proposition! Add more layers of complexity and cost to an already cumbersome (in certain places) process. You'd do well in a government position.

You truly think that will make any difference? It won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back