Mom's car totaled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: earlyre
You may call it totaled, but i can nearly guarantee that it'll be back on the road as a taxi in a couple months.
as long as the frame wasn't bent, it's nothing bit of body work, and a lick of Yellow paint can't fix.

I guarantee it will be fixed by someone. I totaled a 92 Grand Marquis when I was 17 and when I checked the VIN on the CA smog check page, it had hits.

Insurance companies have changed, they lean towards totaling a car even if its not technically totaled. Obviously its based on value/damage.

I see that the car could be repaired being that it has an actual Frame and knowing the history of these engines, i would say its going to get repaired by SOMEONE.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
People who "just black out" shouldn't be anywhere near a car, let alone driving one.
Agreed.
The lady that hit my mom's car was livid that she called the police. She was fully planning on just leaving a note and bailing.
This is most likely the truth. I bet she was texting or putting on makeup or just plain inattentive.

As long as no one was hurt it is just stuff. In Pennsylvania, blacking out will lead to immediate suspension of you DL. At first it sounds better than, "I was checking my facebook," but that is apparently far more excusable.

On a side note, I had a car that got slammed into on the street- no note, no nothing. That was aggravating.

ref

I hate parking on the street. A few years ago, my sister had her car parked on the street on New Year's Eve. A drunk driver slammed into it and tried to leave the scene. His car was smashed up good and he didn't get far. Sister's car was totaled.

hey everyone, if you love your car, don't park on the street anymore. I learned the hard way. I had my 87 corolla parked in front of my house, someone backed into my car at high speed trying to talk to someone on the sidewalk and took off. luckily, my neighbor was outside doing yard work and saw the whole thing. my neighbor knocked on my door and I rode in his truck, we found the car that hit my car in their driveway backed in so you couldn't see the damage. My neighbor recognized the car and We went in their driveway to look at their car and write the license plate down, there was obvious car damage from backing up. We saw several "eyes" looking out the window at us but no one came outside. I went home and called the cops, this was around 1997, no cell phone. The police came to my house and said these people said "you were in the car" and it wasn't a hit and run. I said they were lying, speak to my neighbor, he saw the whole thing. They didn't have car insurance.

With facebooking, texting, old people "blacking out" driving into cars or people, I leave my car in the driveway/garage at all times. I do hear the occasional car racing down my street.

Last edited:
I have worked with this body shop both as a customer and a supplier. The owner even said "this it totaled, i will make sure of it." BTW it is the body shop that the Foose's used to own, so they have a reputation to uphold.

We have a friend that recently sustained damage to her car, She is an elderly lady, she has had the car from new, and it has been very well maintained.
The problem is, because of the cars age, the Book Value of the car is less than the cost of repare.

So, what kind of car can she replace her totalled car with using the pittance the insurance company is offering?

Nothing she is likly to want.
Plus this elderly lady will have to go Used Car Hunting!

Alternatively she will have to pay out a good some of money for a New, or newer car. Money she can I'll afford.
and it still would not be the old car which she loved and felt comfortable with.

In this case she is trying to negotiate with the insurance Co/Body shop to get the car (Properly) repaired even if she has to throw in money herself to get the job done.

Seeing as your mothers car has been well maintained, could this be a similar situation, where she might be better off with a repaired Devil she knows, rather than buying a unknown used car.

Lower mileage panther from California with full documentation of service records from a dealer?

I say that you should buy it back from insurance and sell it to a BITOG member!

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
hey everyone, if you love your car, don't park on the street ....

Yep, needlessly lost my '83 Turbo T Bird that way.

Ran into my office for a minute - more convenient to park on street in front, rather than in my parking lot in back.

Within minutes, teen age joy rider ran a stop sign across the street, got his rear end clipped by a speeding, fully loaded, chicken truck, that spun the twit into T -Boning my T- Bird, T totaling it.

No chickens lost their life, but their fate was only delayed a half hour or so, while obligatory reports were made.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
The livery company I worked for would have that car back on the road by Monday!

I know a used car lot that would do the same.

"It was in only very minor accident, pearrfect car. No problems."
lol.gif

As far as parking on the street, we are kind of stuck with it. The driveway is only really wide enough for one and a half cars, and the 95 Mustang racecar project is taking up the whole thing.

We aren't even going to consider having hers fixed, it is too fargone. What really sucks is the impact was so hard it broke the trunk mounted CD changer.

We are looking at new Fusions to replace the Grand Marquis. The only reason she had the GM was for her parents when they were going to the doctor all the time. Now that they are both passed she can get something smaller. She wants a new Mustang, but it isn't practical for her, and plus I have mine that she can ride in. My mom had a 68 and a 77 Mustang, so that is where I get my love of them from, well except the 77.

I had the sales manager at my work do a search in the area for Fusion Titanium AWD EcoBoost models. The Titanium package has all the options she wants, I want her in something with AWD, and she does not want a Hybrid for environmental reasons. The D-Plan pricing makes it all somewhat affordable, and I want my mom to have a new car, she deserves it after retiring from Raytheon after 43 years.

It was pretty funny, looking at Fusions, she asked where the V8option was, I said she would have to talk to Roush about that one, she loves Carl Edwards. This will be her first car ever that has not had a Windsor or Modular based Ford V8.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
The livery company I worked for would have that car back on the road by Monday!

I know a used car lot that would do the same.

"It was in only very minor accident, pearrfect car. No problems."
lol.gif

I drove one that was a rear ended GM with the rear clip from a P71. (It had dropped a valve.) That car drove perfectly! Still going with 300,000 miles when I left.

Was partying at my sister's last week end . Neal's mother's GM has a crumpled LF,corner. His keeps it on the road to chauffeur her to doctor appointments. The GM is firemist dark red metallic with a white vinyl landau

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Is the AWD option for the terrible Santa Barbara winters?

Haha!! Well this would also be my mom's first car that isn't RWD. I would rather her have it, and we would be getting the 7year 125k ESP premium plan on it so anything possible would be covered under warranty for that period.

It was pretty funny, looking at Fusions, she asked where the V8option was, I said she would have to talk to Roush about that one, she loves Carl Edwards. This will be her first car ever that has not had a Windsor or Modular based Ford V8.

So I couldn't try to sell you/her one of 2 good used Mustangs?
grin.gif

once my Brother decides which he wants to sell, and which to make a "fun Project" car.
1) Original owner Dallas Car, never smoked in, bone stock, 98 GT (spent most of it's life in the garage)
5 Speed
Dark Green (forget the color name, but similar to "bullit green")
Tan Leather.
Premium (Mach?)Audio,(AM/FM, Cassette and secondary CD Deck)
as of Last October, when we took it for State inspection, 14,500mi. ( I was Amazed how Small that gen actually is once you get inside...)
Did have to replace the Fuel Pump a couple years back, as the old one was "varnished up" (never used any stabilizers)

2)2006 Mustang GT, He picked it up in Jan '10, from his local Carmax, with 20-something thousand Miles.
Slushbox. (Rush Hour DD)
fairly base model, no shaker system, radio doesn't even do mp3.
Installed a Ford Racing Intake/Tune (had to send the ECU out)
More parts than I can list for it, mostly discontinued ones he snapped up @ the right time.
off the top of my head:
Full set each of GT500, & Silver Bullet wheels
Full GT 500 Suspension (never installed)
Roush Strut tower brace (never installed)
Fog Light Delete Grille
Several sets of Mufflers (all too loud, he went back stock)
uprated swaybars (never installed)
Did the progressive turn signal mod.
Safelite Replacement windshield last October
as of Last October ~69k mi.
took it back to carmax for an appraisal, they offered him $10k, we walked(Drove)away.
Tried to get him to sell both, but...Can't...do...it...
(he also has an 07 Dakota Quad cab, and a '13 Challenger. in a normal residental neighborhood, with room for 1 car in the garage, and 4 in the driveway. (if more than 1 person comes to visit him, they better carpool)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back