I need a good finishing polish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Hi Grampi,

What will you be using after the M205? I'm guessing some Duragloss #101.

No, I actually use Original Bike Spirits on the bike...

Last edited:
Next time, I would go for M101 over M105.

But with M105 and M205, it is possible to achieve decent results by hand.

Originally Posted By: qwertydude
I was actually surprised to find M205 and M105 at Harbor Freight.

Oh [censored]! With HF's endless 25% off coupons, I'm going to have to hunt that down. I'm not that far from you either.

All I can say is WOW! M205 is EXACTLY the product I've been looking for! I have a black motorcycle, and as you probably know, black shows every little imperfection on the finish. For years I'd been using various different products, some removed the imperfections, some didn't, but all of them left a hazy look on the finish...I never could find any type of polish that would leave the surface perfect...the 205 does...in fact it removes most imperfections with one application and leaves the finish looking like glass! I'm going to do all of the painted surfaces with it.

Amazing stuff isn't it?

The SMAT technology really is a quantum leap in abrasive technology. The amount of cut it has and how it leaves as perfect a finish on the first pass as the last without breaking down means you not only finish with a perfect surface but can actually control the exact amount of cut you need either with multiple passes or with cutting pads and that it will actually work by hand.

The SMAT stuff is just so easy to use it's pretty much supplanted all my traditional diminishing polishes with only minor changes in technique and pad selection. And with intelligent use of product, machine and pad you can finish better and remove less paint in a polishing step. This is extremely important as pointed out in my other post about how dangerously thin OEM paints are coming out of the factory.

By hand if you want to remove scratches the best polish I've used that's easily available is Meguiars Ultimate Compound.

Get Ultimate Compound and follow it with a decent wax and you'll be better off. Ultimate Compound will quickly take care of even moderate damage by hand, more so than many all-in-one products.

All in one type products also generally don't have good durability when it comes to the protection they leave.

Amazing stuff isn't it?

The SMAT technology really is a quantum leap in abrasive technology. The amount of cut it has and how it leaves as perfect a finish on the first pass as the last without breaking down means you not only finish with a perfect surface but can actually control the exact amount of cut you need either with multiple passes or with cutting pads and that it will actually work by hand.

The SMAT stuff is just so easy to use it's pretty much supplanted all my traditional diminishing polishes with only minor changes in technique and pad selection. And with intelligent use of product, machine and pad you can finish better and remove less paint in a polishing step. This is extremely important as pointed out in my other post about how dangerously thin OEM paints are coming out of the factory.

While M205 certainly finishes decently well on a variety of paints, it does not finish out as well as some finer finishing polishes on the market. Not everyone can discern the difference, but for those of us who can, there’s certainly a difference between M205 and SF4500 (or HD Polish or CarPro Reflect) on softer paints. So to anyone reading this, M205 may work great – but it’s certainly not the panacea to any paint challenges that you may face.

Additionally, M205 has some lubricating oils that can sometimes take a couple wipedowns to fully remove. If you are coating a car, you may want to wash the car with a degreaser and follow with an IPA wipe.

You'd never get SF4500 to do much of anything by hand and that's mostly what this thread is directed at. And if you're needing to get to that level of finish quality that M205 isn't good enough, basically you wouldn't be worrying about hand application.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Amazing stuff isn't it?

While M205 certainly finishes decently well on a variety of paints, it does not finish out as well as some finer finishing polishes on the market. Not everyone can discern the difference, but for those of us who can, there’s certainly a difference between M205 and SF4500 (or HD Polish or CarPro Reflect) on softer paints. So to anyone reading this, M205 may work great – but it’s certainly not the panacea to any paint challenges that you may face.

Additionally, M205 has some lubricating oils that can sometimes take a couple wipedowns to fully remove. If you are coating a car, you may want to wash the car with a degreaser and follow with an IPA wipe.

I used the M205 on black, which anyone whose detailed any vehicles before knows black is the worst color for showing imperfections on the finish. Mine came out absolutely perfect...and I mean perfect...there's not one bit of hazing or micro scratches left on the finish at all...it looks like glass...I don't know how you get any better of a finish than that...

Originally Posted By: grampi

I used the M205 on black, which anyone whose detailed any vehicles before knows black is the worst color for showing imperfections on the finish. Mine came out absolutely perfect...and I mean perfect...there's not one bit of hazing or micro scratches left on the finish at all...it looks like glass...I don't know how you get any better of a finish than that...

Like it said, this will vary by situation.

On soft paints, M205 does not always finish out well -- it sometimes leaves a very faint haze.

Furthermore, I've seen situations where M205 will produce a great finish, but after stripping the oils, you will see faint micro marring.

Overall, M205 is a fantastic product with a lot of uses (I've even used it as a compound with MF discs using the new Kevin Brown Method), but for the pro-sumer or enthusiast, it should not be the only finishing polish on your shelf.

How about HD Polish from 3D Car Care? I use it quite often and love it. Depending on the pad, you can get some pretty good cut out of it.

Finishes really wet and use is a breeze.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: grampi

Like it said, this will vary by situation.

On soft paints, M205 does not always finish out well -- it sometimes leaves a very faint haze.

Furthermore, I've seen situations where M205 will produce a great finish, but after stripping the oils, you will see faint micro marring.

Overall, M205 is a fantastic product with a lot of uses (I've even used it as a compound with MF discs using the new Kevin Brown Method), but for the pro-sumer or enthusiast, it should not be the only finishing polish on your shelf.

Can the SF4500 be used by hand?

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Menzerna SF4500? I use this with fantastic results however I would not use it by hand.

Correct, I really doubt that it would properly breakdown by hand.

Yeah I've used the PO85RD which is the same as SF4500. It can't really be used by hand. The larger initial particle size will leave slight hazing, more so than using M205 by hand, as it's going to be very difficult to break down by hand. And the smell I also take issue with. Waxes I don't usually care if they have a little kerosense smell since waxing is quick. But the hours I'll spend polishing, sorry too much kerosene for me with the Menzerna's.

Luckily I only use M101 for small blemishes because it too has an offensive petroleum odor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back