Am I flushing $$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the oil you are using & condition of the engine as well.

So, vehicle? Mileage? A sludger, or what??

7k-12k for the FU in a normal operation.

Probably not.
You're getting the best value in a top-tier filter and you'll probably not need to have any concerns about media failure.
Is the quality worth the money?
Only you can make that call.

I run M1 filters for 5000-6000 miles. They are rated at 12,000. I try to get them with promo codes at AAP for $6 or less though..

If you want to avoid Purolator and fiber end caps.. and get an excellent filter at a very reasonable price, then keep doing what you are doing. Plus the Ultra is easier to obtain vs say WIX, RP, M1 etc.

You can go to Walmart and Meijer here locally and get everything you need. 1 stop.. plus its cheaper than car parts places. *Meijer does carry M1 in store. I should specify that before the nitpickers chime in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Yes, you are. Change the oil and leave the filter be for another interval.

Yep, if your engine is clean and you don't drive tons of stop & go driving then the Ultra can go for two 7K OCIs for a total of 14K of use. It's rated at 15K and I'm sure Fram has some buffer built into the claim.

2n7pnuv.jpg

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Do you think it's a waste of $$ to run a Fram Ultra for 7,000 OCI ?

My biggest question is if this engine is still under warranty. If it is, no way.

From a pure functionality perspective, YES. The filter should be fine for a longer OCI.

However, one could argue that running anything beyond a generic conventional oil and a cheapy off brand filter is a waste of $$$. To each his own...!

I sometimes run a filter for 2 OCI's , I believe HONDA specified this as well for a while on some engines. I don't like to leave that portion of dirty oil in the car, and if I take the time to remove and drain the filter, I might as well just replace it.

At the end of the day, if YOU! feel better about using a premium filter, then don't worry about it. I just bought a couple of Fram Ultras for $9.99. The cheapest off brand filter was $ 5.00... I am A OK spending a whole extra 5 bucks for peace of mind over the next 5 or 6 months.

If the filter was WAYYY! more expensive, I might reconsider... but it's not.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

2n7pnuv.jpg

Fram Ultra filters are good for their claimed 15k miles rating.
02.gif

Originally Posted By: Kruse

My biggest question is if this engine is still under warranty. If it is, no way.

Unless it's a Honda, which SPECIFIES an oil filter change every other oil change, i.e., every 13-16k miles...
36.gif

Join the 21st century, fellas. The 1 OCI OFI myth appears to be the new 3k miles OCI myth.

Last edited:
A friend put a PROVA brand filter on his BRZ, he said it was $ 30.00...! I said for one... he said yeah, it's the best filter ... whaaaatt?

Originally Posted By: geeman789
A friend put a PROVA brand filter on his BRZ, he said it was $ 30.00...! I said for one... he said yeah, it's the best filter ... whaaaatt?

32.gif

Though, I guess it is applicable to the thread title of, "Am I flushing $$." How often does your friend change this beast of a filter?

We'll have to make a lot of presumptions here ...
1) your engine is clean running and in decent shape
2) your use is typically normal
3) your lube is matched to the OEM spec's

That being said, then heck yes, you're wasting a ton of cash.

The FU is a great filter and a darn good buy. But it's complete overkill for your OCI and there is ZERO proof that using a premium filter for normal OCIs returns any tangible benefit. And I truly mean zero, zip, nada. I would challenge anyone to show me a credible study where normal OCIs were better served by a super-premium filter. I fully understand that premium filters often show a better beta; I get that. What I'm saying is that the "better" filtration does not manifest into realized reduction in wear.

Wear control comes from a combination of things, not just filtration. The three things are
1) filtration efficiency
2) tribochemical barrier
3) anti-agglomerate and detergent package

Once the filtration makes a minimum threshold, there is a finite slope that levels off in terms of wear reduction. There is a law of diminishing return; once it's "good enough", being "better" does not return a more desirable result. Again - show me proof if this is your claim, because after YEARS for searching for such substantiation, I've not found it yet.

There is direct proof that longer OCIs result in lowered wear, because of the tribochemical barrier being enhanced by oxidation. SAE-2007-01-4133. Buy and read it. As long as the filter is knocking out the big stuff (which any typical filter will do), then having "more" efficiency isn't shifting the wear curve at all.

That in mind, running a FU for 7k miles isn't going to result in less wear when a normal filter will do just fine.

But don't take my word for it; run some trials yourself. Run three consecutive UOAs with FUs, and then three with the EG. Compare and contrast them to UAs of your engine family. Think I'm wrong? Prove me wrong. I double dog dare ya!
grin.gif

2n7pnuv.jpg

Fram Ultra filters are good for their claimed 15k miles rating.
02.gif

Originally Posted By: Kruse

Unless it's a Honda, which SPECIFIES an oil filter change every other oil change, i.e., every 13-16k miles...
36.gif

Join the 21st century, fellas. The 1 OCI OFI myth appears to be the new 3k miles OCI myth.

If I ever do use a FU will only be used for 1 OCI, and for no more than 7.5K miles.
Let the flaming begin.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Just put a another filter on at 7,000 miles. What else are you gonna spend your money on ?

+1
thumbsup2.gif

You guys may be onto something here, after all. I mean, waste really cannot be overdone, right? If doing something is worth doing, then it's worth over-doing, right? The must be truth to the UhMerican Way where excess is always a great idea. Can't hurt to take a good idea and drive it into the ground, eh? If something is good, then more MUST be "better" ...

- While he's at it, probably should change the spark plugs every 10k miles. And make sure to get iridium plugs; they're the "best" that money can buy.
- Why not rotate the tires once a week, and then buy new ones when he gets 20k miles on the set. Don't want the tread to get too shallow ...
- Change the air filter every month; can't be too cautious here.
- Lube the hinges with synthetic oil every other time he opens the door to get in or out. Can't hurt, right?
- Grease the u-joints and steering linkage every other week with synthetic GC-LB.
- Probably should change the fuel filter every 10k miles as well.
- Might want to consider replacing the coolant at least once a year. While at it, replace all coolant hoses at the same time.
- Certainly going to want to change the ATF every 5k miles in case oxidation may set it. Make sure to dump it out and get a new filter in there while at it. A new filter is a happy filter, after all.
- Don't ignore the diff fluid; change it every 10k miles because moisture may become a problem. Never can be too safe here.

You guys are right; it's all cheap insurance!

I think perhaps he should not only run the FU for 7k miles, but install a bypass filter system as well, and FCI that system every 7k miles, too. And most certainly he'll want to run PAO syn for 7k miles as well. And for goodness sake, don't cheap out and get a shelf brand; make sure to order PAO from a boutique blender. Have it custom blended to 8w-33 grade for the ultimate in your exact climate conditions. Wouldn't want to risk the engine on a common oil.

What else you going to spend your money on?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Just put a another filter on at 7,000 miles. What else are you gonna spend your money on ?

+1
thumbsup2.gif

You guys may be onto something here, after all. I mean, waste really cannot be overdone, right? If doing something is worth doing, then it's worth over-doing, right? The must be truth to the UhMerican Way where excess is always a great idea. Can't hurt to take a good idea and drive it into the ground, eh? If something is good, then more MUST be "better" ...

- While he's at it, probably should change the spark plugs every 10k miles. And make sure to get iridium plugs; they're the "best" that money can buy.
- Why not rotate the tires once a week, and then buy new ones when he gets 20k miles on the set. Don't want the tread to get too shallow ...
- Change the air filter every month; can't be too cautious here.
- Lube the hinges with synthetic oil every other time he opens the door to get in or out. Can't hurt, right?
- Grease the u-joints and steering linkage every other week with synthetic GC-LB.
- Probably should change the fuel filter every 10k miles as well.
- Might want to consider replacing the coolant at least once a year. While at it, replace all coolant hoses at the same time.
- Certainly going to want to change the ATF every 5k miles in case oxidation may set it. Make sure to dump it out and get a new filter in there while at it. A new filter is a happy filter, after all.
- Don't ignore the diff fluid; change it every 10k miles because moisture may become a problem. Never can be too safe here.

You guys are right; it's all cheap insurance!

I think perhaps he should not only run the FU for 7k miles, but install a bypass filter system as well, and FCI that system every 7k miles, too. And most certainly he'll want to run PAO syn for 7k miles as well. And for goodness sake, don't cheap out and get a shelf brand; make sure to order PAO from a boutique blender. Have it custom blended to 8w-33 grade for the ultimate in your exact climate conditions. Wouldn't want to risk the engine on a common oil.

What else you going to spend your money on?

DN3, I like your thinking!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back