Boat battery...school me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Closes place to buy one was 157 miles south in Texas, shipping cost would kill me. There is an actual Interstate dealer in my town, so I went there. It's a marine starting battery, 800 CCA for 112.00 Didn't think that was too bad considering my old everstart was 525 CCA and was about 80-ish, but that was about 10 years ago or so. I also needed one quick, got my Mercruiser mechanic out to my dry stall yesterday to get some things done to it, but it wasn't cheap....for 600 bucks, got:
New impellor, housing, washers, etc. etc., whole rebuild kit because the impellor and foot hasn't been touched since she was born, 1996. he was amazed the shape it was in.
Had to pull out the swim ladder and recaulk, was leaking in boat.
New distributor and rotor, again still factory, it was starting to go, some corrosion.
Fresh High Performance Mercruiser gear oil....forgot how much that stuff stinks!!!
New battery disconnection switch...might not use the boat for a couple of weeks and I think the radio slowly drains it..
Dropped it in the water and adjusted the carb.
Throttle cable had to come off and adjust the linkage, wasn't idleing right and turns out the cable was not putting back pressure on the actual linkage to make it engage to the idle setting.
Shift cable and kill switch had to be adjusted, as you put it in gear, you can feel like a double thump, where as it would jump in gear, then out, then jump back in. Now, smooth as molasses.
Re-set the timing once everything was replaced and let run for about ten minutes to make sure all is good in the universe.

Thought that price was a little step, but parts alone were right at 310. Took about three hours.

Ok.
Also get a good so called smart charger if you want to maintain your battery. They will not only charge but do it correc stages and rejuvenate the battery a bit too in the process.

You don't need to remove the battery from the boat either, just make sure it's charged and then disconnect the battery. It will last longer stored cold than warm, just make sure it is diconnected so it does not deplete.

In the spring you may then let the smart charger do its work for a couple of days.

Had them put on a battery switch....I can simply disconnect the battery by flipping a switch. I've always disconnected the battery after use for years....just a habit I've had.

Schmoe, agree on the trailering rough ride deal... boats trailers and equipment take a beating... battery switch great idea... saves alot of heartache at the ramp...
I have strong opinions on the whole battery charging deal... I like Optimas... I do not like onboard/trickle chargers. I would suggest a optima D34 for your starting needs... I just ordered one (D34) from AAP used a $50 code plus got another $5 for returning a battery. Free shipping or ship to store. plus free optima charger... I use a schumacher Ship n shore 1500 charger, also at AAP... (AAP has Optima charger deal this month.)
I had excellent results with Optimas (3, D31 for main battery, D27's for trolling motor) and the above charger... Before you head to the lake, get the battery up to full charge and enjoy... It may cost more but a dead battery is one thing, a dead battery with your family on the boat is another...
I personally do not like onboard /maintainer chargers... found them to be less than advertised...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back