New today 2014 Elantra oil recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rodeo is gone and got the wife a 2014 Hyundai Elantra Limited. Live in Florida. Owners manual states oil change every 3750 miles for severe service. Manual states to use 5W-20, 5W-30 or 10W-30. Also specifies to use Quakerstate Dino. First ever I seen a manufacturer recommended a certain brand. First 3 oil changes are free curtesy of Hyundai. God only knows what oil they are putting in their vehicles. States 5W-20 for best fuel economy. 5W-30 or 10W-30 for hot summer months of high use. I will use the 3 oil change services then change it on my own. I'm thinking 5W-20 year round but July and August are torture on cars here. Maybe run 5W-30 during summer months and 5W-20 during winter months. Car will be driven easy about 60 miles a day to and from work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you BITOG family. Have a good one.

Last edited:
Suggest you run a 5W-30 synthetic year around due to the summer heat and fuel dilution issues with the GDI Direct Injection engine.

The 1.8L in the Limited isn't GDI, only the 2.0 in the sport is. If all you miles are easy, then a 5w20 in any SN flavor at the normal service interval with the OEM filter will do well. Congrats!!

Any dino of your choice meeting specs for the non severe oci. You dont drive in the dusty desert or in a bumber to bumper metropolitan area.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'd run 10W-30 in it since Hyundai says it's OK. That'd be my first choice.

this as long as florida is as hot as I think.

I would love to run PPPP 10w30 but my weather won't really permit.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt

I would love to run PPPP 10w30 but my weather won't really permit.

What I might do having the turbo but SynPower has served me well. As for florida heat... unless you are driving between 11AM-4PM everyday in June-August, the temp range is 75-85 degrees F. Hardly severe.

Use 5w20 QSAD year round.
It will provide the best economy and all the protection you need, even in July and August!!!
grin.gif

Anything heavier is unnecessary as far as Florida heat is concerned...

A generic thought. Hyundai and Kia are basically the same, although the tests I ran were (If I remember correctly) in a 2.4 engine, but could have been 2.0 (notes somewhere).
The service manager said 15W-40 was best for our hot climate (normal lows 70 to 75, highs 90-100). I tried to tell him Kia recommended 5W-20 with an option of 5W-30 in hot climates. So he went to 10W-40.

He had a lot of complaints about engine noise. So we took 3 Sportages with about 3000 miles on them that all made the same noises. We left one with the 10W-40. He put 15W-40 in one to see the effect (very slight reduction in noise). In the other we put 5W-20 (more reduction in noises). Then drained the 15W-40 and put in 5W-30 (absolute quiet). So we drained the 5W-20 and 10W-40 cars and put in 5W-30. All three were perfectly quiet.
He has run nothing but 5W-30 for 6 months now, and calls for advice on every problem he has.

So whatever you put in, listen to what your engine tells you.

the 5w-20 will serve you well even in FL. Here is Arkansastan it will get into the 100's during summer. Oil runs without issue. If you absolutely cannot stand the thought of putting 5w-20 in a car during summer, go no bigger than 5w-30. Also with your description of driving habits, 3750 is a waste of resources. You could easily go on 5K OCI's. Easy on the engine, easy to remember.

First QS is suggested but not mandated (like Corvettes say Mobil 1 etc.) QS simply paid Hyundai to say that. Many owners (Hyundai forum), use synthetic as do I. the 5W20 year round is fine as is the 5W30. Most owner's on the forum seem to like the Hyundai oil filter for quality and price is comparable to aftermarket. Dealer will probably use bulk 5W20 or 30 but just ask the service rep what they use.

And, you do not live in a severe service area which is defined by type of driving not location for the most part. Use the normal service schedule for oil changes and the engine will outlive the rest of the vehicle

I would run the new Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus in 5w20. Linked at the bottom is the product data sheet for it. You can stock up now and get it on the cheap with the fuel rewards. Buy at Walmart and use the fuel rewards and it ends up about $1 a quart!

Check out the PDS, it has great numbers....Low NOACK, Low pour point, etc. Overall good oil for 7500 OCI that the manufacturer suggests in the 1.8. I would use Fram Ultra filters from Walmart as well if I had your car.

Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus 5w20 Product Data Sheet

I have a 2013 elantra with the 1.8. I run 5w 20 in the winter and 5w30 in the summer, i'm using Pennzoil platinum and a mobil 1 filter.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
I would run any SN conventional in the 5W20 flavor for 5,000 miles minimum. QSGB is a fine choice.

^bingo^

I've not been all that impressed with 5w20 in our 2012 KIA. I'll be installing 5w30 Castrol Synblend in it today in fact. Since Hyundai allows it, and you're in Florida, I see no reason to run a 5w20.

One of the Hyundai service techs on here said they are filling everything with 5w30 now at his dealership. As for your free oil changes, who knows what your dealership is using. Mine was using QSGB a year or two ago but you'll have to ask them.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I've not been all that impressed with 5w20 in our 2012 KIA. I'll be installing 5w30 Castrol Synblend in it today in fact. Since Hyundai allows it, and you're in Florida, I see no reason to run a 5w20.

One of the Hyundai service techs on here said they are filling everything with 5w30 now at his dealership. As for your free oil changes, who knows what your dealership is using. Mine was using QSGB a year or two ago but you'll have to ask them.

If it were a GDi, I would agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back