On AMSOIL for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you guys have been reading about my engine noise problem on my 80s tech econobox Mitshubshi 4G13 12 Valve engine, this is an update. The car travelled about 5600kms since oil change of CASTROL Edge 0W-40 on November 31st 2013. Yesterday early in the morning I drove my car to the southern state of Johor which is 350kms (+ another 30km within the city) and then at night drove back to Kuala Lumpur. RPMs was mostly at 4000 which in 5th gear gives a speed of 133kmh. Occasionally I pushed to 4800rpm which gives a speed of 150kmh, for about 20 seconds. Each trip took about 4 hours. Engine worked great at those RPMs, however at idle, a slight tapping noise is still audible. After the trip I tallied 6300kms. I decide to not continue with this oil and swapped it out today for AMSOIL 10W-40 with AMSOIL EA filter.
I took the car out for a highway drive with revs up to 3000rpm, and brought it to my mechanic. He seemed surprised I wanted him to capture a bit of oil for analysis and he told me he hasn't heard of anyone else doing this. Well I live in a third world country..
While draining the EDGE, he expressed surprise that its viscosity is very low. That worried me, but when I looked at the condition of the spark plugs which I changed at this time, it was dry with light brown deposits so I wasn't too worried.

I will be shipping out this sample to Blackstone for analysis and will post the results.

This is a pic of the mechanic pouring in AMSOIL high zinc. He took a sniff at this and he said it smelt odd, like no other oil, as if its a bad or odd thing. But anyway, after this oil went it, the engine did not have that knocking noise anymore, in contrast with the CASTROL Edge 0W-40 which produced that knocking noise immediately and never improved. The mechanic also cautioned that the CASTROL I bought could be a fake, but I will let BLACKSTONE confirm this.
So far this AMSOIL oil feels good and sounds good, I will push it to 15000 kms and lets see how it goes.

Last edited:
"While draining the EDGE, he expressed surprise that its viscosity is very low."

How did your mechanic come to this conclusion by looking at the oil ?

"feel" lol. I think he meant the oil feels watery, thin or diluted. Probably he expected it to be thick as dino oil, as that's what most people here would use with this car. He is a "AH Beng" mechanic after all. Ah beng is term for a typical Chinese guy with not much education, not that I mean any disrespect for him, but most mechanics in Malaysia are very much like him.

Glad to hear the amsoil helped your engine quiet down. After all, I'm sure you spent good money getting it down in Malaysia. Amsoil is excellent oil and I think you'll be happy with it.

If you plan to test the amsoil with a UOA, do it ahead of time so you don't throw away good oil. Chances are, that oil will take you a long way down the road.

Few regular mechanics are involved in oil analysis.

A sample pump is the proper way to take an oil sample without dumping the oil. It works most of the time although my Cummins diesel seems to have something in the dipstick tube to only allow a flat dipstick past.

Glad the Amsoil is working for you so far. Your mechanic can't tell a thing about viscosity with his fingers though.

Counterfeit oil is not something we have to be concerned much with here. Oil filters bought on line are another story though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back