2015 Toyota Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yes, people are gobbling up the marketing spiel that having AWD will save their butts, when in fact it's the proper winter tires that make all the difference. Alas, car makers aren't in the business of selling winter tires. They're in the business of selling pricy AWD systems.
smile.gif

Yeah, but if you get caught out on tires that aren't proper winter tires, I'd much rather have AWD to anything else. This week was a perfect example... it's April, after most people in most places would have transitioned away from their winter tires.

Then the freak snowstorm hits.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
Yeah, but if you get caught out on tires that aren't proper winter tires, I'd much rather have AWD to anything else.

Based on personal experience, I don't really agree. AWD may help you get going, but it does nothing to help you stop or turn better. All it does is build a false sense of security.

THIS is MY kind of grill for the LE...not normally a blingbling kinda guy, ( I debadged the Camry) but THIS I like...it is so much stronger than either of the grills we've seen so far on the Camry...

qlxk.jpg

I can see this as a factory grill for the XLE to distinguish it from the LE and SE/XSE...quite distinguished, (in both meanings, different and "classy") don't you think...

I bet given the design of the stock LE grill, that this chrome fascia would snap on quite easily....

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yeah, but if you get caught out on tires that aren't proper winter tires, I'd much rather have AWD to anything else.

Based on personal experience, I don't really agree. AWD may help you get going, but it does nothing to help you stop or turn better. All it does is build a false sense of security.

Engine braking effect increases stability during deceleration and maneuvering. Also, there are situations where an appropriate application of power to all four wheels can keep the car pointed in the right direction. AWD allows you to more effectively manage weight transfer with far less risk of understeering through a tree (FWD) or oversteering into the ditch (RWD).

It's more than a false sense of security. It is a legitimate handling advantage in poor weather.

I lived in Illinois for 18 years. I have driven AWD, RWD, and FWD cars in the snow on non Winter tires. If I have the choice in poor weather it will always be for the AWD car.

If I have the choice in poor weather it will always be for the AWD car.

What I meant was that during winter here, I prefer my RWD car with proper winter tires than my wife's AWD car with good all-seasons. Her car is rather useless when braking and turning in the white stuff. If not for the fact that she'll be getting rid of it soon, I'd be buying her a set of dedicated winter tires.

I don't get the Fu Manchu bass mouth grilles on this and some other current cars. It really doesn't look appealing and doesn't look like it will age well.

Most of the rest of the car is pretty nice looking, but these gaping mouth breather grilles are getting ridiculous.

I hear "Jaws" music when seeing that front end. It looks better in the silver car pictured since it's not as over-done as the show car.

But, if one can get a XSE sedan with the V6 and manual (pipe dream), whatever on the looks if it drives nicely.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
I hear "Jaws" music when seeing that front end. It looks better in the silver car pictured since it's not as over-done as the show car.

But, if one can get a XSE sedan with the V6 and manual (pipe dream), whatever on the looks if it drives nicely.

I think of the 1st Gen Corvette with it's shark grill....shark yes, big mouth bass nooooooo..... and yes, a manual tranny would be nice to have with the V6 (again...as it did on the Celica Supra)...oh well...
From wikipedia....a '54...
Chevrolet_Corvette_blue_vr_EMS.jpg

KitaCam said:
THIS is MY kind of grill for the LE...not normally a blingbling kinda guy, ( I debadged the Camry) but THIS I like...it is so much stronger than either of the grills we've seen so far on the Camry...

qlxk.jpg

got_braces_sticker-rb2ce99b6ea2745cba557184192522044_v9waf_8byvr_324.jpg

10925624913_2515c672ef.jpg

Ooh awesome a huge grill of thin plastic bars an a shiny black piece to catch rock nics and not even be repaired. I bet I could tear it off in the first winter on a pile of snow just lying in the street. Awesome. Ooh and rear tail lights off of a Ford and tail lines off I a Hundai. Cool!

Well at least the dash has the same lines. And the mirrors are exactly the same and the motor is probably the same and the oil filter. Dear Mr. Toyoda, please do what your company has done until the past 7 years or so.... Quality. You appear to be scrambling from recall marker design to recall maker design. Oh and P.S. My air conditioning stinks, literally sir, now I have to fool around convincing my wife to turn off the air cond. to dry it out because you can't pay attention to the little things anymore.

I like it. I don't usually buy a car based on looks, but I would buy a camry if I needed one. Previous to this I would say the 2009ish SE was the best looking camry...I think the pre-2015 refresh was a bit of a downgrade.

But...I buy a vehicle for transportation, not to showboat. Yes im probably a toyota fanboi too.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Ooh awesome a huge grill of thin plastic bars an a shiny black piece to catch rock nics and not even be repaired. I bet I could tear it off in the first winter on a pile of snow just lying in the street.

If an after-market billet seller would make a chrome "snap-on" grill like above, that would make for long-life, easy maintenance...

Originally Posted By: KitaCam

I think of the 1st Gen Corvette with it's shark grill....shark yes, big mouth bass nooooooo.....

Maybe a whale shark...
Whale-Shark-Mouth.jpg

But, yeah...
Largemouth600x530.jpg

Originally Posted By: KitaCam

qlxk.jpg

I can see this as a factory grill for the XLE to distinguish it from the LE and SE/XSE...quite distinguished, (in both meanings, different and "classy") don't you think...

I bet given the design of the stock LE grill, that this chrome fascia would snap on quite easily....

Makes the smiling Mazda grill seem less repulsive.

I think that all that chrome looks aggressive whereas the polycarb bars off the factory look cheap and weak...like the chrome grills of the 30s and 40s, if you like them, it's all in the eye of the beholder...

ut35.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back