Why doesn't 10W-30 meet dexos1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious as heck. Why doesn't it ?
confused2.gif

Because that is not an allowed viscosity for GM vehicles requiring Dexos. At first only 5w-30 was recommended and could be Dexos.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Because that is not an allowed viscosity for GM vehicles requiring Dexos.

Why not ?

Because the owners manual says so?? For my truck only 5w-30 is allowed unless in extreme cold 0w-30 can be used. That's it.

If the OEM spec'd 5w30,nobody will spend the money to approve a 10w30,or a 10w40,or a 5w50 or....

Originally Posted By: Garak
That would be why, being the diesel spec. As far as I know, every dexos1 oil is also GF-5.

I have to swing by the Opel dealer when i'm home and check it out. IIRC Dexos 1 is seldom in Germany, most GM use Dexos 2 inc the gassers.

Example.. GM 1.4 turbo is a 0w40 engine with 5w30 as second choice if 0w40 is unavailable.
OPEL

Modell
Astra 1.4 16V VVT Turbo ECOTEC Automatic (Astra J - A14NET 103kW)

Jahr 2010-
Motor (BT) (A14NET)
1. Wahl Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40
2. Wahl Mobil Super 3000 XE 5W-30

Things are evolving to the point where 5w-30 is a baseline spec for motor oil moat GM vehicles made in the past 15 years. If it isn't the baseline, then it is an acceptable weight.

It is the default weight for both of mine.

Decades ago, it was 10w-40... then it went to 10w-30, and now 5w-30.

And it likely won't stay at 5w-30 either.

So... looking at this... why would there need to be a dexos approved 10w-30. Considering that not many people would be using it, there's not a whole lot a need for standards and approvals. That's what SN and GF-5 is for.

As others have noted, for the same reason that there are no Dexos 1 20W-50s.
It isn't a grade currently recommended by GM for any engine requiring a Dexos 1 oil.
I'll ask a general question here:
Does GM even allow Dexos licensing of grades it doesn't recommend for use in its engines?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'm curious as heck. Why doesn't it ?
confused2.gif

One big aspect of dexos1 is fuel economy. Most of the 10w-30 oils out there are not energy conserving to qualify.

GM began to move away from 10W-30 in the mid-2000's. My current Saturn (Opel/Vauxhall) Astra calls for a 5W-30 meeting GM spec' GM6094 (related to low temperature pumpability. IIRC), but mentions nothing about 10W-30. Like almost all GM manuals it says to use a synthetic 0W-30 or 5W-30 in extreme cold temperatures. Previous to that GM manuals said 10W-30 was fine if it met the GM6094 spec as well, which most do.

Incidentally, Mobil 1 in Germany and Europe seems to want 0W-40 in that 1.8L engine while Shell UK calls for Helix Ultra 5W-30...

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Garak
That would be why, being the diesel spec. As far as I know, every dexos1 oil is also GF-5.

I have to swing by the Opel dealer when i'm home and check it out. IIRC Dexos 1 is seldom in Germany, most GM use Dexos 2 inc the gassers.

Example.. GM 1.4 turbo is a 0w40 engine with 5w30 as second choice if 0w40 is unavailable.
OPEL

Modell
Astra 1.4 16V VVT Turbo ECOTEC Automatic (Astra J - A14NET 103kW)

Jahr 2010-
Motor (BT) (A14NET)
1. Wahl Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40
2. Wahl Mobil Super 3000 XE 5W-30

I assume this is the exact same 1.4T that's in my Cruze.
I had wondered if Mobil 1 0w40 would be a good choice in this motor (after warranty of course) and now I see the answer.
I will have no problem using the 10w30 PU (warmer weather) that I scored at the AZ clearance late last year in my Cruze. I'm not concerned about the fractionally lower mpg...

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
As others have noted, for the same reason that there are no Dexos 1 20W-50s.
It isn't a grade currently recommended by GM for any engine requiring a Dexos 1 oil.
I'll ask a general question here:
Does GM even allow Dexos licensing of grades it doesn't recommend for use in its engines?

GM only allows grades it uses in its engines, yes. The thing with dexos (do not capitalize the first letter, officially GM) is that GM gets about 9 cents per quart or liter sold ( yes, a racket...), therefore an oil company puts the dexos official symbol on a bottle, but also could sell the same formula in another bottle without the dexos symbol printed on it, and save the royalty (ransom?).

All SN/GF-5 oils I've seen, with exception to 10W-40 and 20W-50, are resource conserving. That means SN/GF-5 rated 10W-30 is resource conserving. That being said, 10W-30 over 5w-30 is a moot point that has been hashed and rehashed many times on here. It's too easy to obtain dexos spec oils now to use 10W-30 or non-dexos 5W-30 over the dexos spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back