Pennzoil Platinum with PurePlus Technology Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PeterGreen
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Interesting read.
What I found most interesting is pennzoil saying in no uncertain terms that there is no such thing as a group 3+ Nor any + when grading base stocks.
So take that to all those who told me I was wrong when I wrote that there was no such thing as a + base stock.

It's great to be vindicated, ain't it?

It is. Especially when ganged up on and having unofficial posts copied and pasted as though it's evidence.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Fwiw, the TDS documents for Ultra Platinum have reappeared on Shell's website. When they were taken down a week or two ago there was a thought maybe they were in error, especially the new Noack figures.

While there may have been changes, the new TDSs look like the ones that were pulled as far as I can tell. Noack is still roughly double what it was in the old formula and higher than the new Platinum formulation. I know there's a lot more to a motor oil than volatility, but this is still odd.

Could it be that sopus is just CTA when it comes to batch variations,and their noack number is a maximum figure and not what will typically be in the bottles?

Ok so now whats the difference between the platinum and the new platinum that is now derived from natural gas?

at walmart they still have the plain label platinum but when i went to Menards they had the new bottles saying it was made from natural gas.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Fwiw, the TDS documents for Ultra Platinum have reappeared on Shell's website. When they were taken down a week or two ago there was a thought maybe they were in error, especially the new Noack figures.

While there may have been changes, the new TDSs look like the ones that were pulled as far as I can tell. Noack is still roughly double what it was in the old formula and higher than the new Platinum formulation. I know there's a lot more to a motor oil than volatility, but this is still odd.

Could it be that sopus is just CTA when it comes to batch variations,and their noack number is a maximum figure and not what will typically be in the bottles?

That's a thought. Perhaps the lady from SOPUS could just chime in and clear this up for us. SuzanneClerkin are you out there?

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Overall I was disappointed with the answers.

Eg they were asked if Platinum and Ultra used GTL already. The answer was given for Platinum only and gave a date of "2013" which is a bit vague.

There was an answer that Noack of Platinum is below 10% when I think there are already official TDS that show higher.

The Ultra Euro 5w40 is being rebranded as Platinum while the 0w40 SRT will be Ultra Platinum. Yet they say Ultra Platinum is better than Platinum.

In their complete list they said all 3 Euro oils would be Platinum and have 5w30, 0w40 and 5w40. Then when asked about VW diesel, they listed 2 5w30 Ultra Platinum oils that would meet the spec. These oils weren't in their complete list.

I do like that they have settled into the idea that their oils are about keeping your engine clean, that the base oil helps with this and the Ultra keeps things 65% cleaner compared to Platinum 40% cleaner. So we have a major manufacturer saying that synthetic over the same interval keeps things cleaner and modern engines with turbos and DI can benefit.

I rarely agree with you however I do here.
The answers given were standard form answers to questions that repeated themselves and got a repeated answer.
On paper it looks as though pennzoil took a step backwards however once we start getting some data,from members with trending used oil analysis we'll see just how well tbn/tan hold up and see just how many miles the products will truly go

I agree as well. Although I appreciate them trying to answer BITOG's questions, the answers were very carefully worded and in many cases just danced around the question without answering it, and I am not talking about the proprietary info answers, I get it that they won't answer some questions. That said, I do believe their products are of very high quality and I will continue to use them.

They are touting GTL in the new platinum but their msds for platinum shows "Blend of a synthetic ester, polyolefin and additives" dated 02/05/2014. I mean [censored]!..

I would like to know when this will be available at local stores including Walmart. I have read that it is already available in some CONUS locations, but I have not seen it in Central New York.

Edited to add that I just realized this is my first post - I have lurked so long here that I was surprised about that. Outstanding forum.

Last edited:
We'll, I sent a PM to the Pennzoil rep SuzanneClerkin about a week ago regarding the NOACK numbers. It remains unread.

I wonder if they gave up on us after we didn't buy in to the Q&A, which seemed more advertising fluff than technical.

Boo.

Local Wally World has one 5qt jug of the new Platinum in 5w20, the weight I need. Local AutoZone had several jugs (+$10 more per jug), but no PUP to be found as of yet...is the PUP going to be as unobtainable as the PU?

Last edited:
i bought the new PP 5w20 at $27CAD after 40% discount. in the back of the new jug, there is no ACEA certification whatsoever. the old PP, QSUD or M1 of the same category they all have A1/B1 or at least A1. is it reasonable to conclude that the new PP is an inferior product compare to the old one and other brands, at least on paper?

Originally Posted By: Odyssey
i bought the new PP 5w20 at $27CAD after 40% discount. in the back of the new jug, there is no ACEA certification whatsoever. the old PP, QSUD or M1 of the same category they all have A1/B1 or at least A1. is it reasonable to conclude that the new PP is an inferior product compare to the old one and other brands, at least on paper?

Check the new data sheets. For 5w-30, at least, the sheets do show the A1/B1 A5/B5 specifications.

I just tried the new pen. With the natural gas base and my oil pressure is higher?? It might be the fram filter I had to use since the wix I got would not fit due to its larger dia. Because of the oil cooler hoses I have. I moved the oil cooler to the front on my twin turbo stealth.I use 5-30 oil.just wondering why the higher oil pressure.

Last edited:
Higher psi could be from the oil having a higher film strength maybe. If the car is modded could that have some effect? Usually a higher psi says the compression is better but how much higher. If it gets too high you might consider a higher octane fuel to prevent pre detonation. If the mileage and idle are good I wouldnt worry too much.

I think Sopus is a joke. Can't find PUP anywhere in Montreal area and checked Plattsburgh NY, and Burlington VT and nope nobody has it. Spend a ton on marketing and don't make the product available for purchase. Intelligence at its best.

Don't just blame SOPUS. Blame the retailers. Walmart and Canadian Tire like to mark up oils over 100% for their regular prices. Combine that with SOPUS not marketing PU as a long drain oil (versus M1 EP), and you can see why it never worked up here. NAPA apparently still sells it at an outrageous price. Check your local SOPUS distributor and see what they can offer you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back