New Dirt Scooter! 2007 YZ-250

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd been needing a newer dirt bike for a while, being that I've been riding a clapped-out 2001 YZ-250 for a few years now. No complaints with that bike other than the fact that the suspension is outdated, and would beat me to death on the gnarly, steep terrain that we like to ride. Never really considered having the suspension re-sprung and re-valved because I didn't want to sink any more $ into the bike.

I also have a 2002 YZ-250 that suffered a shattered piston skirt a few years ago, but that was my fault for running the cast aluminum piston for too long. And it happened right after I started the bike to ride it around my apartment complex to dry it after washing it. So, it could have ingested some water. BTW, I had previously sucked some water into the engine on a creek crossing, and had to push the bike to the other side, take air filter and spark plug out, turn it upside down, and rotate the back wheel with it in gear to pump the creek water out of the engine. And it started up like a charm after that! Pieces of the piston skirt knocked a hole in the case between the crankcase and the transmission, so I took the case and had the hole fixed (built up weld then machined it down). Got a new crankshaft and piston for it, and had the cylinder bore re-plated. Also had to get all new bearings for engine and tranny. I just haven't had a chance to get out in the garage to put it all together.

Anyway, my YZs have been rock-solid reliable, and I couldn't ignore that when deciding to get a newer bike. Thought about KTM, but they're more complex, and the 2006 + YZ has the Kayaba SSS suspension, which is supposed to be really good, even in stock form.

So, with my goal being to pick up a stock, low-hour, 2006+ YZ-250, I checked Craigslist and a guy was selling a 2007 with 30 hours. Hadn't even had the engine open except to have the initial post-break-in top-end check, which was performed at the dealer after 10 hrs of use.

Bike is totally stock except for the plastics which the original owner installed - he was a big Bob "Hurricane" Hannah fan. Also chain & sprockets have been replaced.

She's a cherry... No gouges anywhere from rocks, no scratches from being bulldogged through the bushes, etc.

I'm happy with it. Gonna start modding it for the gnarly 1-track trails and hills we like to ride. Plan is to make it my "nice bike" for special rides I go on, and put my 02 bike together and make it my "every ride" bike.

Gonna start the mods with the following:

- Pipe guard
- Radiator guards
- Skid plate
- Barkbusters
- Flywheel weight
- 18" rear wheel
- Frame guards (protect frame from boot erosion)
- Tugger strap
- Suspension re-sprung and re-valved for gnarly woods
- Scott steering damper
- Sidestand
- Hour meter

Want list for later:

- Athena 293cc big-bore cylinder
- Hydraulic clutch
- Upgraded front brake

why do you want the 18" rear?

and the 1st things i would do is flush that sludge out of the forks and shock.
then grease all the suspension linkage (M1 grease)

steve

Originally Posted By: sunruh
why do you want the 18" rear?

and the 1st things i would do is flush that sludge out of the forks and shock.
then grease all the suspension linkage (M1 grease)

steve

Enduro/off-road-specific dirt bikes come with 18" rear wheels because the smaller wheel diameter allows a taller tire sidewall, providing more cushioning against bumps, rocks, roots, etc. The taller sidewall also improves resistance to pinch flats, while allowing lower tire pressures enduro riding in the 18" size, including trials tires, which a lot of guys are running on their dirt bikes now.

Yes, good idea about servicing the suspension. I know the fork seals and fluid were changed ~ 10 hrs ago. Dunno about shock. Regardless, I'm sending the suspension off to be re-sprung and re-valved for woods riding anyway.

Also plan to grease the linkage and steering head, and go through and put some dielectric grease in all the electrical connectors.

Thanks for the comments. What do you ride?

only the DA run trails tires.
that fad ... and thats all it was ... has long set sail

a much better selection or better tires at 19

um, yeah

i have raced a '98 yz250 and then a '01 yz250f and then an '06 yz250f for the last 15+ years.

a much better selection or better tires at 19

um, yeah

i have raced a '98 yz250 and then a '01 yz250f and then an '06 yz250f for the last 15+ years.

What type of racing? MX, Woods/Enduro, Desert?

An ignorant statement...

You're not real well-informed for someone who's been racing for the last 15+ years.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
BTW Nice bike John!!

Thanks bud!

You're ever down Tennessee way, let's get on 2 wheels (or 1, lol)!

That's a nice bike. Congrats. That is a nice find. I wouldn't pay much attention to 15+ years racer. Apparently he is a fad follower, seeing he jumped on the four stroke fad wagon. Glad to see a fellow two stroke lover.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
That's a nice bike. Congrats. That is a nice find. I wouldn't pay much attention to 15+ years racer. Apparently he is a fad follower, seeing he jumped on the four stroke fad wagon. Glad to see a fellow two stroke lover.

Ha ha! Yeah, I've never even run a trials tire...but I know lots of guys who have, and love them. I understand their limitations (lack of braking in heavy leaves going down steep inclines, lack of side grip). But there is no denying their advantages on certain terrain (steep, rocky areas).

I'll try one eventually once I get my 18" wheel.

Thanks for the comments.

Excellent choice for a dirt bike. And, just like God intended, it's powered by a 2 stroke engine!

I ride a KTM 380, and while it's a bigger engine, it really does not make more power than the YZ250. In fact, I often prefer riding my buddies YZ. However, I have a tag!

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

Ha ha! Yeah, I've never even run a trials tire...but I know lots of guys who have, and love them.

I live in South Florida, ride in Ocala National Forest, Croom and in Northern TN (a bit more rocky and hilly)

I despise trials tires on normal dirt bikes. That trend is silly IMHO. I just can't get over the downsides of the trials tire. But, I'm an old man, I don't race anymore and all I've ever ridden are knobbies. I really don't like the feel of trials tires on my KTM 380. Nor do I like the price or the increased number of flat tires I get. Are they as fast? Yes, only in some conditions. The rest of the time, they are mushy and bothersome to me.

Just installed a new set of Dunlop MX51's on my 380 and they work properly for my riding style and conditions.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Excellent choice for a dirt bike. And, just like God intended, it's powered by a 2 stroke engine!

I ride a KTM 380, and while it's a bigger engine, it really does not make more power than the YZ250. In fact, I often prefer riding my buddies YZ. However, I have a tag!

Hey, thanks! Yeah, I talked to a lot of knowledgeable people when I started riding in 2006, and came to the conclusion that 2-strokes were the way to go for me (simplicity, easy starting, low weight, etc.). I was also told that learning to ride on a 2-stroke would make me a better rider. I've seen guys who learned to ride on 4-strokes struggle when they get on a 2-stroke. OTOH, switching from 2T to 4T is no problem (after you're almost thrown over the bars a time or two by the engine braking, lol!).

I know several guys who jumped on the 4T bandwagon, only to switch back to 2T because of reliability problems and the cost of maintenance on 4T bikes.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

Ha ha! Yeah, I've never even run a trials tire...but I know lots of guys who have, and love them.

I live in South Florida, ride in Ocala National Forest, Croom and in Northern TN (a bit more rocky and hilly)

I despise trials tires on normal dirt bikes. That trend is silly IMHO. I just can't get over the downsides of the trials tire. But, I'm an old man, I don't race anymore and all I've ever ridden are knobbies. I really don't like the feel of trials tires on my KTM 380. Nor do I like the price or the increased number of flat tires I get. Are they as fast? Yes, only in some conditions. The rest of the time, they are mushy and bothersome to me.

Just installed a new set of Dunlop MX51's on my 380 and they work properly for my riding style and conditions.

When you say northern TN, do you mean up in the northeast near Shady Valley, Mountain City? I love that area. I've ridden my R1 up there a lot. Never dirt, though, but I'd like to.

I love the MX-51. One of my favorite tires.

Have you seen the new MX-52?

Have you seen the new MX-52?

If I've seen one, I did not recognize it, so I'm guessing I have not seen one.

However, I do know about it. Looks interesting.

Congratulations YZ 250 are excellent 2 stroke dirt bikes. Looks like you got a clean one.

Originally Posted By: Hirev
Congratulations YZ 250 are excellent 2 stroke dirt bikes. Looks like you got a clean one.

Thankyasir!

Oregon? Man, I'm jealous of the riding y'all have up there!

Got any photos?

BTW guys, I've got the bike busted down to send the suspension off to be re-valved & re-sprung, among other mods:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back