Quaker State Ultimate Durabiltiy 5w-30 Caution!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rand
I think you should update the title to "CHEVY OLM OVER OPTIMISTIC CAUTION."

Isnt that the DI engine GM has been having a few issues with?

you also left out the fuel % or flashpoint

Exactly, key information left out to bash an oil that is a fine product.

thank goodness for early adopters? more like, try again GM, better luck next time.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
thank goodness for early adopters? more like, try again GM, better luck next time.

Shortened up the OLM and tweaking the programming to not dilute the oil as much, AFAIK.

Originally Posted By: CarbonCrew
Meh.... it went from a 10.53 to a 8.9. No big deal, it held up better than most of the Dexos UOAs I've seen.

Exactly. Wear isn't abnormal so who cares if it thinned. Could be fuel dilution anyways which would evaporate anyways.

One more time...The report issued the caution. I am asking WHY?

If i could edit the title I would.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Isn't the DI 3.6 V6 in that vehicle one of the ones that GM stated as having a very optimistic OLM? The OLM in my '12 Cruze is similarly optimistic, and I view 25% as "Change oil now".

Yep, the old-formula QSUD has a tendency to shear a little bit as it wears out. I've seen the exact same thing happen in my Cruze when running it to 9000+ miles, which is why I change it earlier now.

Was this the new gold-bottle QSUD or the old formula clear-bottle QSUD?

My 2011 Cruze has the overly optimistic OLM.....I change it at approx. 6K. and still have 40% on the OLM. I know I could go a bit further but the oil gets dark very quick (which I know means nothing) and oil is cheap.

PS: Sciphi: I didn't know that QSUD's formula changed when they changed bottles...has this been discussed in the forums?

The only real caution item I can see in this UOA involves the loss in viscosity, which seems like a lot for only 6K miles run.
This would be due to a combination of mechanical shearing and fuel dilution.
Next time you get a UOA, select a lab that will give fuel content numbers. I'd bet that they're on the high side.
Wear metals look pretty good, since these engines seem to shed more metal than is typical of some others and this engine may still be showing some breakin metals.
Incidentally, while a short commute may be considered severe service, a long vacation trip isn't. Getting everything up to temperature and keeping it there for hours at a time is very easy service, unless you were towing over mountains.
Based upon what we see here, I'd say that 25% OLM is a good point for you to change any oil. I'd stick with oils that meet Dexos 1.
I doubt that you'd see much less loss in viscosity with any other oil.

I thought you guys said the modern day 5W-30's are shear stable.
laugh.gif

My 2.4L DI oil fill cap specs 5w-20 and with 3750 miles severe duty and 7500 normal duty. I been using mostly 5w-20 during cooler weather seasons and 5w-30 during warmer/hot weather, and the book says ok to use 5w-30 and/or 10w-30 for hot weather.
My understanding is 5w-30 can shear down closer to a 5w-20 at a shear rate faster than a 5w-20. I'm actually on my last of the stash using 5w-20, then will go 5w-30 next OC then may just stick to that since it shears closer to 5w-20 and in Calif., we don't get the harsh cold winters.
Besides, 5w-30 is all I have left in my stash now (PP). And I'll stick to 5k OCIs at least during warranty duration to keep things good.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
My 2.4L DI oil fill cap specs 5w-20 and with 3750 miles severe duty and 7500 normal duty. I been using mostly 5w-20 during cooler weather seasons and 5w-30 during warmer/hot weather, and the book says ok to use 5w-30 and/or 10w-30 for hot weather.
My understanding is 5w-30 can shear down closer to a 5w-20 at a shear rate faster than a 5w-20. I'm actually on my last of the stash using 5w-20, then will go 5w-30 next OC then may just stick to that since it shears closer to 5w-20 and in Calif., we don't get the harsh cold winters.
Besides, 5w-30 is all I have left in my stash now (PP). And I'll stick to 5k OCIs at least during warranty duration to keep things good.

Looks like you are driving a Sonata and those engines run great a 5W30 PP or Ultra.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Originally Posted By: Errtt

Looks like you are driving a Sonata and those engines run great a 5W30 PP or Ultra.

2010 Tucson for my DD. Just today took it in to the dealer for a recall fix on the stop lamp switch and got a free courtesy multi-point inspection. My first time to dealer since I bought it. Has 59k. They couldn't find a single thing it might use. They didn't try to up-sell me anything. I did tell them not to touch the air and cabin filters as I had recently changed them and I don't want the engine air filter disturbed from its seating.
I mentioned that I was using PP instead of manufacturer recommended QS and got no reaction from 4 of them standing there.

I run PP 5w20 in my DI 1.6L and have had no issues either. Might consider PP/M1 5w30 in summer if the temps get warm enough that climate change/global warming affects the car. I guess whatever you use they say with DI that synthetic is the way to go. Mine only hold 3.15qts so I need all the lubrication help I can get lol

Originally Posted By: Plumber
They gave the report a caution, not me. I can only figure for the low viscosity?

That is why I posted the results. Why would there be a caution?

Yours didn't drop as much as the one I posted for my 2013 traverse but it is still getting on the low end of the spec. It looks like these engines are hard on oil.

Just FYI. Gm did have a tsb to readjust the oil life monitors on these vehicles. I don't remember what year they did the change but it might be worth calling a dealer and seeing if it has been done on your vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back