Anyone gotten out of a caliber?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading that the ATF was banning importation of all 7n6 5.45x39 ammo,I started thinking it might be a good time to get out of the caliber. I have a 7.62x39 with cheap ammo that I can plink with, and I don't have 5.56/.223 to "train" with. I don't really need the money, but was thinking it might be time to get into the 6.5 Grendel.

Last edited:
6.5 Grendel is an excellent cartridge. I would suggest you take a look at 6.8spc. The chambers are almost all spec'd to SPCII now (Remington drawings were incorrect on the original chamber) and the twist rate of most barrels is not correct. AR Performance and Buffalo make a superb upper. Rock River, STAG, LMT, etc... and many others are out there with good quality as well. If you have the cash Noveske has an excellent spec'd Lothar barrel to offer.

6.8 is excellent on deer and there are a lot of inexpensive 270 cal weight bullets out there from 80gr to 140gr. You should be loading your own if you wan't either of these calibers. Silver State Armory has top brass. Hot loads will go 12 loadings no problem. They are the mil supplier of 6.8.

I have been in on the 6.8 since the beginning. I liked it enough in my AR's I made one off a Stiller Predator (bolt) action. No recoil, sub moa 5 shot AR is not anythign difficult, and plenty of magazine support and loading components, as well as tons of re-barrel choices.

Yes; I have dropped a few over the years despite the fact that I reload.
  • I gave a 7MM Magnum to my brother (I thought it was overkill for most everything that I would ever hunt--a .260 Remington replaced it with the same results).
  • A .220 Swift was the second to go since my .22-250 can do everything it can with less powder and barrel heat (important when hunting prairie dogs) My 'smith made a custom 6MMBR from the rifle.
  • A 30-30 Winchester 94AE rifle was given to a friend and I replaced it with a .35 Remington in a Marlin 336.
  • The other one that comes to mind is a .40 S&W in a Beretta 96FS (just never really liked the cartridge, mostly because the bullet selection back then was mundane, but I loved the pistol).
For me, I play with quite a few rounds from time to time but I usually select the caliber before looking for a rifle/pistol to shoot it in. Perhaps, it is backwards, but it has worked for me for many years. A .224 Weatherby Magnum has always been on the wish list as well as a .41 Magnum in a pistol. I still have some others to shoot before I acquire any more.
11.gif

I just about had a panic attack thinking they banned 7.62x54 ammo. I am fully stocked on handguns and shotguns but the only rifle I have is a 22. Been meaning to get a Mosin Nagant for a long time. Was afraid I just missed the boat.

When I get a gun I get tons and tons of ammo for it....for just this reason.

I have ammo for it, I am just wondering what I should do. Biscut, I looked into the 6.8SPC2, I don't think it's what I want. I like the higher BC of the 6.5. I bought it for a cheap plinker, and I will be cheaply plinking the 2Kish 7n6 I have, and then I will be buying the more costly stuff. Being the owner of a few 17hm2s, when the cheap stuff dried up a gun would sell much faster with some ammo to go along with it.

If I couldn't sway you to the 6.8 you will no doubt enjoy the 6.5. It is a very good round. Feeding and magazines can make or break a round in the AR platform.

They banned 7N6, not all 5.45x39. You will have to shoot non-corrosive ammo instead. Yes, i am sad that they banned 7n6 but it is far from the end of the world for that platform. I will finish shooting my open tin of 7n6 and buy new factory ammo that is not steel core to shoot and save my unopened tins of 7n6 for the zombie apocalypse.

The ban might even get overturned someday.

If you have some nice weapons in this caliber i see no reason to get rid of them unless you are broke. In the future you can always earn more cash, but you may not be able to buy another AK/AR style weapon.

1 AR and a few mags. It's that it doesn't get shot much, caliber consolidation, thinning the ranks, and I guess this was just another to add to the list.

I have gotten out of lots of calibers.

38 S&W when I sold off my Enfield and Webley wheel guns

25acp when I sold my baby browning

32acp when I sold my CZ27, my Frommer Stop 1912, and my Walther PP

Originally Posted By: Shaman
and I will be cheaply plinking the 2Kish 7n6 I have, and then I will be buying the more costly stuff.

I've been watching gun trends for years. Based on what I'm seeing with the crisis in Russia/Ukraine, it would not be unforeseeable an event in the near future for ALL Russian arms/ammo to be completely banned for importation. Complete ban = skyrocketing prices.

DO NOT SHOOT ANY of that already banned 7N6 5.45 ammo!!! That stuff will fetch $2 a round within 10 years. Stockpile it in your closet and shoot the commercially available Wolf ammo now.

There has been a solidly escalating trend in bans in arms from nations like China and Russia that have tepid to cold relations with the USA. Chinese and many Russian guns were banned from import under the Clinton administration. So we could not get any nice and new shiny Makarovs or MAK90's.

If the current situation in Eastern Europe continues, we will likely see supply disruption via trade sanctions or something of the sort in regards to russian ammo and things like VEPR and SAIGA guns.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
There has been a solidly escalating trend in bans in arms from nations like China and Russia that have tepid to cold relations with the USA. Chinese and many Russian guns were banned from import under the Clinton administration. So we could not get any nice and new shiny Makarovs or MAK90's.

If the current situation in Eastern Europe continues, we will likely see supply disruption via trade sanctions or something of the sort in regards to russian ammo and things like VEPR and SAIGA guns.

All the reason to stick with domestic calibers!

Originally Posted By: 2cool

All the reason to stick with domestic calibers!

Or at least have other options. Cheap imported ammo's days are numbered since evidently all you need is an EO or a bureaucrat somewhere to change their mind. Buy cheap stack deep.

I got out of 9mm after the price jumped from $4-5/box (on sale) to $9-10/box, since at that time .40 was only ~$14/box.

Now, 9mm is around $12-14 and .40 is around $18-22. Wish I still had my nines.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
I just about had a panic attack thinking they banned 7.62x54 ammo. I am fully stocked on handguns and shotguns but the only rifle I have is a 22. Been meaning to get a Mosin Nagant for a long time. Was afraid I just missed the boat.

When I get a gun I get tons and tons of ammo for it....for just this reason.

7.62x54r steel core ammo will be next. There are already 7.62x54r "pistols" floating around and vendors talking about producing new ones. It would not surprise me if the ban on 7.62x54r imports (surplus steel core) happens this year.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

I agree. All the talk of sanctions against Russia pushed me to move the Russian toys to the top of my acquisition list.

VEPR 12
IMG_0479_zps1a120936.jpg

SGL31-68 rifles
IMG_0246_zps84aee03e.jpg

IMG_0300_zpsf88038a3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back