QSUD 5W-30 2013 Chevy Cruze 1.4L Turbo 7653 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

Just received my Blackstone UOA on my 2013 Cruze with the 1.4L Turbo. Looks good to me. This was the oil I used after I changed the factory fill @ 4261 miles. I have sinced changed to M1 0W-30 AFE. If the next UOA doesn't look as good as this one, I'll be changing back to QSUD.

Miles on oil 7653 (0% OLM + 9 miles)
Miles on vehicle 11914
Makeup oil added 0.5 qts (realized after draining & getting out 4.75 qts. with fill capacity of 4.25 qts., that the 0.5 qt. added was unneeded).
AC Delco/Hengst OEM Cartridge filter

Code:

Al 6

Cr 0

Fe 15

Cu 17

Pb 0

Sn 0

Mo 55

Ni 0

Mn 1

Ag 0

Ti 0

K 0

B 10

Si 11

Na 5

Ca 2153

Mg 11

P 661

Zn 783

Ba 1

100C Viscosity 10.15

Flashpoint 420

Fuel < 0.5%

Antifreeze 0

Water 0

Insolubles 0.2

TBN 2.6

Take care
Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great, but dont bother extending it. From now on I would just use QSUD at 10-15% on the MM. That will give you some margin for error, plus QSUD is a very well priced synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Tucson Five-O
Guys,

Just received my Blackstone UOA on my 2013 Cruze with the 1.4L Turbo. Looks good to me. This was the oil I used after I changed the factory fill @ 4261 miles. I have sinced changed to M1 0W-30 AFE. If the next UOA doesn't look as good as this one, I'll be changing back to QSUD.

You need to get a few UOA on each of the oils. Bouncing around switching oils based on one UOA for each is not providing a good baseline.

49.gif

gregk24,

This oil clearly has room yet to go. The viscosity is holding up, wear metals look very good for a new engine, and TBN of 2.6 has plenty of reserve.

Ignoring the fact that the OLM was run to 0, would anyone say this oil needed to be changed out sooner?

Now if the viscosity was
Then my options would be to change it sooner, and utilizing the OLM, say at 20%, or preferably, I would find a more durable oil. If that had occurred, in the SOPUS family, I would upgrade to its big brother, PP. But on BITOG, most of us seem to underutiize our oils, IMHO.

Trav,
I understand what you're saying regarding switching oils. Honestly, I switched to M1 for two reasons:

1. I wanted to use a true A5 rated oil. I was concerned seeing how some previous QSUD UOAs in these engines beat up the oil, that SOPUS oils didn't seem, at least in their PDS, to clearly advertise the latest ACEA A5 specs, and

2. Putting my money where my mouth is, as I near the end of my warranty, I will be extending the OCIs, by resetting the OLM and continuing.

I believe the M1 line, particularly their EP is simply more durable. Now if SOPUS would give a guarantee like M1 or Castro Edge does, then I would reconsider SOPUS oils. As you know, all of the ILSAC GF-5 M1 oils are now using the same Ca/Mg DP additives.

I plan on running the current fill to 110% OLM then sampling it. I will stay with the 0W-30 AFE, unless viscosity shear is an issue like we've seen with 0W-20 AFE UOAs here. If so I will switch to M1 5W-30, assuming all other parameters look fine, and keep increasing the OLM 10% at a time, until I see a need to switch to M1 5W-30 EP.

If I was going to stay at 7500 mile OCIs, where the MY2013 calibration calls for in my climate with my driving usage, then clearly one need look no further then QSUD. I think it's that good, price and performance-wise, over that interval.

Keep the comments coming guys.

Gary

Trav,

a little more clarification, I changed oil in early December, only now sending the QSUD sample off to Blackstone.

Most of the UOAs on these engines were from cold climates with some manual transmissions thrown into the mix.

I drive very conservatively 99% of the time, with many 2000-2400 shifts with the 6-speed automatic, which I think is easier on the bearings and oil viscosity than manual transmissions are.

And with the warm climate here I had only one sub-30 degree start last winter. I even put the original full belly pan that now is only available for a Buick Verano on the car to keep the heat in the engine.

I do no cold start idling and very few under 9 mile trips.

In a cold climate, I could see my OLM reaching zero within 5000 miles with the new MY2013 recalibration.

Gary

Thanks for actually using logic for your answers and not listening to the "change your oil sooner [censored]" your report looks great and following your OLM at 0% makes sense and QSUD being $21.97 sweetens the deal even more.

WOW! I will be trying the QSUD in my cruze. This sample looks quit better than my run on PP posted earlier this week.

And speaking more about the MY 2013 OLM recalibration, it seems that GM felt that the specified dexos1 syn-blends weren't handling the long drain intervals with rumors of excessive timing chain wear.

I know, one dexos1 rated oil should be the equal of another, but UOAs on the ACDelco FF clearly show an oil that is shot by 4-5,000 miles. TBNs of ~1.0 or less and noticeable shearing, and not from fuel dilution.

I'd be curious to see how the SOPUS syn-blends held up. The Pennzoil has been around for about 2 years now and now we're seeing the QS syn-blend. But I will stay with an all Group III or better oil, wanting to protect the turbocharger and be content with experimenting with drain intervals.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back