Drained Oil bubbles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

Drained oil for a friend and noticed something weird.

Any ideas

bubbles.jpg

I see nothing wrong, oil falling into the pan frothing.. fairly certain my oil typically looks like this when it drains.

Likely if it's on the thin side. What weight oil??

Could've sheared too.

Visual inspection isn't terribly useful. A few bubbles isn't anything to panic about. I would be concerned if it was all bubbles or was frothing.

I'd bet the drain pan was used for antifreeze, or had some other contamination in it before you started the oil change. I've seen the same thing several times.

If not from contamination, unless it breaks up rapidly, the oil has lost it's anti-foam properties. UOA would probably show higher than normal lead.

mine does that all the time the 45degree drain plug seems to make many more bubbles than the horz. oriented type.

of course I drain mine warm to hot and its 0w20 also.

Last edited:
I see that pretty well every time I drain oil hot....it has to fall 1-2 feet, so it will bubble a bit....

Best way to check for air bubbles or foaming inside the engine is to quickly pull and observe the dipstick while the engine is running. A TINY amount is somewhat normal; a lot of air bubbles is likely from the crankcase being overfilled.

I see bubbles from time to time when I change my oil. I think it has to do with how fast you drain the oil after it was shut off and how up to temp it was.

Just because oil contains anti foam doesn't mean it won't foam.

Thx guys, it was very hot 80+ C
That's probably why
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back