Post Your Latest Power Steering Fluid Change

2012 Nissan Frontier, 38000km, mobil1 DexVI

Turkey baster method 3 times. Running engine and turning steering full lock back and forth a few times between each replacement. Reservoir is very small so this only used 1/2 a litre. Drove truck a few days and then repeated 3 or 4 more times till bottle was done.

I don't know what fluid capacity is but I will probably do this every year or two.

2002 Chevy Prizm @ 165,864 mi

Siphon / fill w/ ~9oz Johnsen's PSF (from Toyota dealer)

Unsure when it was last changed, old fluid was brownish and smelled faintly burnt. Wanted to do turkey baster method but it can't fit in the reservoir fill hole!

My Subaru Owners manual makes no mention of changing PS fluid. But it makes sense. Do any of you do it on a regular frequency? Or, just when you feel it is needed?

I was considering every 60k miles. Is this too long? It seems better than 95% of the cars on the road. But if those of you that regularly flush and fill PS feel that more often is needed, please share.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
My Subaru Owners manual makes no mention of changing PS fluid. But it makes sense. Do any of you do it on a regular frequency? Or, just when you feel it is needed?

I was considering every 60k miles. Is this too long? It seems better than 95% of the cars on the road. But if those of you that regularly flush and fill PS feel that more often is needed, please share.

Most owner's manuals don't specify PSF changes. What I do is replace the PSF when it turns brown, or smells burnt.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins

I changed mine powersterring fluid at 15,000 miles using the return line disconnect method.

My Outback Specs are:
· SUBARU ATF
· IDEMITSU ATF HP
· “Dexron III” Type Automatic Transmission Fluid 0.7 US qt (0.7 liters, 0.6 Imp qt)

Last edited:
Just made a start on turkey-bastering the PSF in the 2011 Regal, at 44500 miles. The specs call for Dexron VI ATF, the same as in the transmission, so I picked up a quart of Valvoline MaxLife at O'Reilly's. Already had the baster and an empty cat litter jug. It took about 6 fills of the baster until the reservoir was empty. The factory stuff was brownish, but still definitely red. I refilled carefully to the MIN line on the cap/dipstick, as the engine was cold; started the engine, swung the wheels back and forth (no strange noises); and shut off.

Two more passes at this, and if I've read properly above, most of the old stuff will be gone -- better than 95% of the cars on the road.

Will AZ take the PSF for recycling?

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

Will AZ take the PSF for recycling?

Oil recycling companies accept PSF, but sometimes Autozone employees don't realize PSF is acceptable, and reject it.

09 Honda Civic R18
OEM Honda PSF
Flushed it dry via return line and sucked out the rest from the reservoir. Filled it back up.

Both my 06's out valvoline maxlife and the same back in. The yukon was out with the original and max life back in using the flush method on dieselplace.com l used amsoils bottle pump on the 97- old atf out and orillys p/s back in.

And for the life of me I can't seem to get all the atf out of the 97. No hydroboost so I'm at a loss on how to flush it.

Originally Posted By: JD4440
And for the life of me I can't seem to get all the atf out of the 97. No hydroboost so I'm at a loss on how to flush it.

ATF in the power steering system?

I suppose if you disconnected the hoses at the PS gearbox, you would gravity drain all the fluid from the hoses, cooler, and reservoir. While those hoses were off, you could turn the steering wheel all the way left and all the way right to remove fluid from the PS gearbox.

That is such a big task for so little gain.

I would just gradually replace the ATF with PSF.

2004 Crown Vic LX 76K miles.
Had to pull the cooling system out to swap the transmission cooler which resulted in the power steering system becoming drained.
Refilled with a quart of Schaeffers #204SAT

A little late (did last year) but..

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi

PS Pump was making lots of noise, fluids were brown, but normal level. It died a few days later.

So, I replaced the pump with a reman. unit from Napa and took the return line off the new pump and flushed about 6 bottles of Supertech ATF+4 before it started to look new and red again!

Back