RP 20-820 opened

Status
Not open for further replies.
No news is good news. The waviness on the crimp was me probing it with a pick to make sure it was crimped tightly over the entire length. It was. These filters are ridiculous overkill for me changing at the OLM (5600 miles this time) on the SRT. But they only add about $7 to the cost of an OCI compared to an Ultra. I'm sticking to the OLM while under warranty. At least in my experience, these are the Bugatti Veyron of oil filters- Champion-built, wire-backed synthetic, and pretty much identical to what they build for Amsoil and others. About $14 including tax at Pep Boys. Oil was M1 0w40 again.

I run on all my vehicles and a double run the filter to about 10to12K including wifes 2012 2500 6.0HD. I buy from Jegs as they have free shipping on everything.

Originally Posted By: dave123
I run on all my vehicles and a double run the filter to about 10to12K including wifes 2012 2500 6.0HD. I buy from Jegs as they have free shipping on everything.

Dad and I used to do that back in the 60s and early 70s all the time, then I got in the habit of a filter every change. These filters could obviously go the distance... but at $14 its still pretty cheap insurance. Running filters for a double OCI is all great... unless you happen to get a defective filter and rack up 15,000 miles on un-filtered or partially-filtered oil (I'm thinking about all the torn Fram Orange, E-core, and Purolator Classic pictures I've seen here over the years.) That's actually something to really like about cartridge filters- you get to see the element before you install it instead of just afterward.

The 20-820 are $11.99 at Jegs and they will ship to your front door free.

Last edited:
440 Magnum, I see you are a Mopar fan. Nice. Do you use the Royal Purple oil and filters in all your cars? I saw a video a couple years ago when one of them hot rod shows went to the Champ Labs factory for Royal Purple. It was cool. And they look very stout.

These are nice oil filters...Royal Purple oil filters are the only oil filters we use in our shop. We have cut a few open at 8,000 and 10,000 miles and they looked great just like in the picture.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
What end is the bypass on? Threaded or base?

Dome end. And yes, it mounts dome-down on the 392.

Originally Posted By: johnnydc
440 Magnum, I see you are a Mopar fan. Nice. Do you use the Royal Purple oil and filters in all your cars?

I've been using the Fram Ultra on a couple, also. I used P1 for years but now its RP and Fram Ultra.

Yep very nice. The RP does use the finest media available but only a single layer compared to the FU dual layer, which gives it a higher capacity (obviously you don't need it) Are these 99% efficient like Ultras?

Have you ever considered running the RP longer? I think it would do great at double that interval.

01.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
No news is good news. The waviness on the crimp was me probing it with a pick to make sure it was crimped tightly over the entire length. It was. These filters are ridiculous overkill for me changing at the OLM (5600 miles this time) on the SRT. But they only add about $7 to the cost of an OCI compared to an Ultra. I'm sticking to the OLM while under warranty. At least in my experience, these are the Bugatti Veyron of oil filters- Champion-built, wire-backed synthetic, and pretty much identical to what they build for Amsoil and others. About $14 including tax at Pep Boys. Oil was M1 0w40 again.

Filter looks great. I ran RP filters exclusively once they came out and was very happy with them. Ran that same filter on my 08 HEMI Ram. Unfortunately they don't offer one for my new Cherokee so I can't use them. Maybe some day but they don't seem to do the cartridge type for some reason?

I don't care about the cost either. People here at BITOG are way too fixated on cost. If spending an extra $5 on a filter for an OC gives someone peace of mind so what.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back