My $50 snowblower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not the right season for snow, but the right season for buying running snowblowers for cheap. A neighbor had this Ariens HS-40 sitting on the curb, and let it go for $50. I thought that was a fair price for a running old Ariens. It runs okay with the auger turning, but not for very long. I'm guessing it needs a fuel line, a good carb cleaning, and an air filter of some kind.

The machine:

Model number:

Carb:

Any advice on the getting it to stay running? I have all summer and fall to tinker with it.

Looks like a very early 4HP model. The control arangement was change with later models. I have a 5HP unit from 1968 that is a hand-me down for my FIL. There is a website that has a complete history with pics and all sorts of info The air box on yours is missing, which is no big deal. There is no air cleaner as the only powder around in winter is the snow which is the reason for the air box. I suggest you google "Ariens Sno Thro'that will bring up all sorts of info for parts and historical info. Enjoy!

Oldtommy

Points ignition? Yuck. If you have a timing light stick that on and make sure your spark is consistent.

I hate to shill for harbor freight but if you can't get that going with the usual tinkering and carb cleaning, stick a chonda motor on there. The rest of the blower should be in dandy shape, just the tecumseh motors flake out in the most frustrating way. Like running fine till you hit a drift then stalling out faster than you can throw 'em in neutral.

But hey you have all summer to tinker and look forward to its first use.

That looks exactly like the one I bought four years ago. Mine has a twin shaft output, which has no modern replacement.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
That looks exactly like the one I bought four years ago. Mine has a twin shaft output, which has no modern replacement.

I was thinking the same thing Kestas.

That's a beast, but if it's got a twin-shaft engine, re-powering in close to factory format is REALLY tough.

Since it runs...try some fuel system cleaner...Techron...Seafoam or Berrymans before you tear into the carb.

It is missing the air box that snowblowers use to keep the carb from icing up. You want to find one. I would unscrew the main jet and clean out the hole on the side of it.Put the thing together. Screw the jet in by hand and then back it out 1 1/2 turns.

My BIL did a good deed and fixed a neighbor's ailing snowblower and received one of these for payment. He put inflatable wheels and chains on it. I used it one year and was very impressed with it It is much easier on the body than the the larger models. I call it the little engine that could. A good running small model is more useful than a balky big 'un

Kestas, find a more conventional model of Ariens. Or bite the bullet and rebuild your twin PTO. I started the Chonda on the first pull and moved mine to summer quarters last week.

Yah I use Berryman's as first resort before I tear down the carb.

The group over at Garden webs lawnmower ,small tractor and tools boards are a helpful bunch for OPE.

Last edited:
It may be running way too rich now that the weather is warmer. I am selling a unit now and last used it when the temp was well below zero, and when I started it to show a buyer I had to turn the main jet in (lean) at least a full turn to get it to idle.

Or you could have a gummed up carb and the bowl cannot fill fast enough in relation to the amount of fuel it is burning. Carb rebuild kits are cheap and it's really easy to do, so just go ahead and rebuild it.

I dragged the blower out to work on it today.

Here it is in the garage, sans carb:

Carb torn down. This was pretty easy to do. Getting the carb off was fun, though. Whoever put those two 11mm (7/16") bolts there with no clearance should be forced to remove 20 of those carbs and then tell me it was a good choice:

Shot of the bowl after cleaning. It was full of gummy old gas, and pieces of varnish that were junking up the main jet. It was cleaned using liberal amounts of carb cleaner:

I also replaced the fuel line, and added a fuel filter. Between all that, it took me a few hours to do. Once it was all back together, some stabilized gas was added and the machine fired up on the first pull. I ran it in laps around my backyard for a distance of about 400 feet seeing if it would cut out. Looks like it's running well now. The jets will need to be adjusted once colder weather hits, but that's easy-peasy. It idles down nicely, returns to full throttle readily, and doesn't cut out. For $60 and a few hours of my time, it looks like I have a working snowblower for this winter.

Nice work! Those machines are great if taken care of. Here are a few things I recommend:

1. Use Marine Sta-Bil (the blue stuff) in the fuel. That will prevent future carb problems. I haven't had any problems with my machines or customers' machines since using this. If storing for long periods of time I use a double dose of it and run the engine for a bit to get it down into the carb. No problems since doing this, and I had to clean carbs repeatedly in the past before switching to the Sta-Bil. Running it dry is also bad because it can ruin the carb gaskets and cause them to dry out. Stick with the Sta-Bil and you will be good to go.

2. Check the oil level like your life depends on it. I find that Tecumsehs like the oil level to be FULL. Anything below full and they seem to blow rods, more so on machines that get tilted back like snowblowers and rototillers. If you keep the oil full and make sure it doesn't overrev it will last a lifetime.
thumbsup2.gif

I've used red Stabil in the gas. I'll switch to blue Stabil after looking into it a bit more.

The oil is full, and easy to check. That will get done. Thanks for the tips!

The Marine Sta-bil is just better for snow blowers as it's designed for a more moist environment.
Did the Ariens get you though the winter ok ??

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I'm guessing it needs a fuel line, a good carb cleaning, and an air filter of some kind.

Any advice on the getting it to stay running? I have all summer and fall to tinker with it.

Get the air box cover as already mentioned. Snow blowers don't use air filters, they can freeze up causing problems. Snow blowers are not used in dusty environments so there's no need for an air filter.

If you can get a platinum plug for it use that. Tune it up as mentioned, and plumb in a gate valve and fuel filter when you change the fuel line. You'll be golden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back