Toyota WS Transmission Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Roob
I agree. Toyota transmissions are very reliable. I meant that it might put the warranty at risk if the dealer knew about it.
Some only allow you to use OEM approved fluid (usually theirs) while under warranty.

Cheers.

I have no idea about Canada, could be different. In the USA if a manufacturer requires you to use their product for the warranty to remain in effect, they must provide it at no cost.

I called the dealer where I work and the dealer where I live, both were close on price.

I got involved with this website because I wanted to know and learn more about removing the oil cooler lines and trying that for the fluid change. After reading there is mixed reviews. I will stay with my current plan.

Since mixing fluid should not be a problem life has gotten easy.

Thanks for the knowledge. Knowing is half the battle.

Patrick

Originally Posted By: 06AllAmerican
I called the dealer where I work and the dealer where I live, both were close on price.

I got involved with this website because I wanted to know and learn more about removing the oil cooler lines and trying that for the fluid change. After reading there is mixed reviews. I will stay with my current plan.

Since mixing fluid should not be a problem life has gotten easy.

Thanks for the knowledge. Knowing is half the battle.

Patrick

What is your goal? My Corolla has 200k miles on the original Type IV fluid and I'm sure I'm not the only one. And WS is supposed to be better than Type IV. If you'd be satisfied with 200k miles then why touch it at all. How many miles are you looking to get out of your car?

Originally Posted By: Leo99

What is your goal? My Corolla has 200k miles on the original Type IV fluid and I'm sure I'm not the only one. And WS is supposed to be better than Type IV. If you'd be satisfied with 200k miles then why touch it at all. How many miles are you looking to get out of your car?

300+k
I have a 9 year old daughter. I would like to hand her this car in 7 years.
I also put 31k on it in in 20 months. I am in DC traffic all the time.
200k seems a little extreme with no fluid change.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

300+k
I have a 9 year old daughter. I would like to hand her this car in 7 years.
I also put 31k on it in in 20 months. I am in DC traffic all the time.
200k seems a little extreme with no fluid change.

200k is the new 100k. Between my wife and I, we drive about 55k miles a year. Mostly all highway miles. We both drive gently. No jack rabbit starts and no zooming. Just going with the flow of traffic at 75-85mph. That kind of driving is easier on cars. Stop and go in DC traffic is rough on cars. Toyota makes great cars and I hope your daughter gets the car and drives it many more safe miles when you hand it over to her.

Originally Posted By: dave123
I get my OEM WS at my local Carquest for $$$$cheaper might want to ask.

Thanks for the tip. $8.79 for OEM Toyota WS fluid at Car Quest.
Funny that I have lived in this town since 1993 when I got out of the military and I just found this place 2 weeks ago.
It is tucked back behind a bunch of buildings. It reminds me of the old school parts stores. Nothing fancy but has what I need at a fair price.

Originally Posted By: dave123
I get my OEM WS at my local Carquest for $$$$cheaper might want to ask.

Thanks for the tip. $8.79 for OEM Toyota WS fluid at Car Quest.
Funny that I have lived in this town since 1993 when I got out of the military and I just found this place 2 weeks ago.
It is tucked back behind a bunch of buildings. It reminds me of the old school parts stores. Nothing fancy but has what I need at a fair price.

Glad I could help out.

I got it all done after the two pork shoulders were put on the pellet smoker at 6:30am. It was a nice spring day.

The finished product.

Today I did the vac thing through the trans check tube. I did it twice since I only got 2.3 quarts out each time. Oil was dirty, very dark red to brown. Now it is a nice red again. It only has 31k but I'm glad it did it. I will drop the pan after the warranty is up and go the AMSOIL way then.

The Sienna got the same. A little over 4qts. I used Carquest Import ATF. The guy said it is Valvoline ATF. My wife was amazed at how nice it was shifting. I had a BG trans flush at around 45-50k, not sure of the fluid. It has 75k on it now.

I want to gravity drain the Sienna breaks tomorrow. I need to find the part to drain them.
Power steering tomorrow too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back