2015 Honda HR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow this thing looks like a winner.

I cannot think of one complaint about my 2010 Fit, only the spark plugs are a PITA to change yourself.

I am in my fourth year of ownership, and I'd have to say the Fit is a classic.

I plan to drive it until it rusts out, but the HR-V you linked I will definately test drive.

The only thing that scares me off a bit is the CVT, but by the time my Fit dies that should be bug free.

I don't understand, what does this compete with? It looks to be smaller than the CR-V...so does it compete with the Juke?

Originally Posted By: dparm
I don't understand, what does this compete with? It looks to be smaller than the CR-V...so does it compete with the Juke?

That, Buick Encore, I'm sure others.

Looks like a hit to me. For sale as the Vezel elsewhere. Hopefully they can shoehorn the r series 1.8 or 2.0 from the Civic in there.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
i only see this as cannibalizing their own CRV sales.

They're further apart than it looks:

spec CRV Vezel
weight 3300lbs 2700lbs
length 178in 170in
width 72in 70in
engine 2.4l 1.5l

Take the Honda badge off and replace it with the Ford. For some reason, this looks like one of the current Ford vehicle although I can't pinpoint which one.

I like much of what Honda produces...but I honestly see nothing special or exciting in this vehicle. Just another small SUV thing, right? Looks very much like the rest.
I'm sure it will probably be a great little vehicle, but it sure don't do much for ones car buying appetite...at least not mine.

Dumb question: is this HRV about the size of the original CRV?

I'm guessing this smaller CUV is meant for the city? I'm not sure what the purpose is.

If anything, I'd think it be nicer if dropped maybe a couple inches (although the wheels did look decent in the wheelwells). It'd be more of a nice small hatch. Just make it with the 2.4L I4 instead, with a proper 6spd manual it'd be a blast to drive I bet.

Originally Posted By: supton

I'm guessing this smaller CUV is meant for the city? I'm not sure what the purpose is.

If anything, I'd think it be nicer if dropped maybe a couple inches (although the wheels did look decent in the wheelwells). It'd be more of a nice small hatch. Just make it with the 2.4L I4 instead, with a proper 6spd manual it'd be a blast to drive I bet.

That sounds like a Vibe / Matrix. Toyota and GM did everything they could to sell that thing (including a sporty variant with a 180hp and a 6 speed, and an AWD version with a larger 2.4 liter engine) but it never sold as well as it should have. I think if it were raised two inches and marketed as an SUV it would have sold better, even if everything else was the same (interior room and offroad capability).

I'm with you entirely, though, on the K24 making it's way into this. Assuming it could handle decently and still stayed under 3000lbs that would be a blast to drive, especially with a manual.

Originally Posted By: supton

It probably is.

It's amusing to me how cars continue to grow in size, and we keep making up new "subcompact" market classes that are simply the size of the old models. Today's Corolla, for instance, is likely as large as the original Camry. Ditto with today's Sentra being as large as the original Maxima. And the Civic to yesterday's Accord. And the 1-series to yesterday's 3-series. And the Cruze to yesterday's Celebrity. And the Patriot to yesterday's Cherokee. And on and on.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I think if it were raised two inches and marketed as an SUV it would have sold better, even if everything else was the same (interior room and offroad capability).

Good point. This HR-V actually screams "Dodge Caliber" to me, in concept. Even the overall shape. If you flashed the first auto show picture of this HR-V (in the link) to my screen for a quarter of a second and asked me what I just saw, I'd say the Caliber. I love the idea of the Caliber. I like small-to-midsize cars. They're just too limiting for my lifestyle. I want a hatch. I want to be able to carry things. I want to be able to throw my bike in the back and not worry about it in a parking lot. The Caliber is that. It's that small-to-midsize sedan with a hatch on it.

That's what my CR-V is to me...or it's the closest vehicle to that mold that also meets other criteria of mine. I like that it has AWD (it's great fun in the snow), but I could care less about its Trail Rated capability. It takes us to the back of the lake and back, but an Accord could do that as well. What I like about it (and about cars like the Crosstour and Toyota Venza) is they're essentially sedans with liftgates. They're the modern station wagon, which largely isn't offered anymore.

Not to take this too far off topic, but Subaru is squarely on my radar these days. Not that I'm in the market for a vehicle, but if I suddenly were, I'd be looking at a lot of what they have. Not for their AWD, not for their ground clearance, not for any perceived or real reliability. But because they offer an affordable and efficient wagon platform. I like the XV Crosstrek. The HR-V seems similar in notion to the XV, though probably marketed to more of an "urban" audience rather than an "outdoorsey" audience.

It competes in the new segment with this:

Jeep Renegade

A fiat based tiny SUV of course Jeep made off road compatible but vast majority of buyers in this segment never ever do but just like the idea of that.

I see a Mazda-styled, shrunken CRV.

I just don't see this vehicle class as useful. Small and high mpg - get a Fit/Mazda3 etc. Need to actually carry a useful amount of gear for weekend trips - CRV/CX5 etc. I doubt it would be that much cheaper vs a CRV. The same way I think the Crosstrek is too costly for its size - a base Forester seems much more capable/useful for basically the same price.

What do I know - I own two [cheap, used] vehicles to take care of my daily and weekend needs.

An SUV the size of a Fit for maybe a grand or two less than a CRV. I'm scratching my head on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back