99 VW Auto fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
A family member just bought a 99 jetta 2.0L automatic with 55,000 original miles on it. This means a german car just got added to my "fleet" of vehicles I take care of. Never really worked on a german car before so have lots of questions. I like to go over everything and freshen up all the fluids since we don't know the service history. It also didn't come with an owner's manual so I don't have anything to go on besides searching online.

First, what is a good ATF to put in this? What is the OEM ATF?

Second, anyone done a drain and fill on the MK4 jetta? From searching online it looks to have a serviceable filter and not to bad to do. Also looks like you pump fluid into it until it comes back out? I couldn't tell but I think this trans you have to pump the fluid up from the bottom? Or is the fill hole on the side?

Any other tips on doing an ATF drain and fill on these cars?

Thanks

Yep, G052162A2 is the VW part number for the ATF in the 01M, but any semi-syn or full syn Dex III fluid will work just fine. I've even used the new formula of MaxLife in my 01V without any problems. Any of the Multi Vehicle ATFs that meet Mercon V will be more than sufficient.

As for the refill process, get a fluid pump for a lower gear unit of an outboard to pump the fluid back in. Or Fleet Farm stocks the nice pumps from Amsoil for
Don't forget about the front diff, as it has its own fluid.

The recommended and probably the best fluid to put in would be OEM stuff. Believe its made by Pentosin. However many people put in multi vehicle, dexron/mercon, mercon V and it works fine. I put multi vehicle atf in my 02 VW 2.0L which has the same transmission (01M) as yours and works fine. Its up to you what you want to put in.

I would say that changing the transmission fluid and filter is relatively easy on this transmission. The pan is held by only 4 bolts which I find interesting on something that is supposedly lifetime fill. Even has a drain plug too.

You will need to remove 2 splash covers and the metal guard in front of the transmission pan. Before going further I would make sure you know where to fill. Once the front metal guard on the pan is removed its right there, can't miss it. The fill tube is located facing at an angle upwards toward the front. There is a red security cap that first needs to be pryed off, don't worry if you break the cap. In my opinion the security cap is not really necessary to reinstall back because its not the actual fill cap. However you should be careful about prying off the actual fill cap, there are tabs on both sides that hold the cap on the tube. I insert a length of clear tubing that will fit into the fill hole and the other end I have funnel. I find its easier to pour in than to pump fluid in, let gravity do the work. There is another alternative way to fill is from the top of the transmission you remove the sensor. This works however its kind of tight clearance to get the screw off the sensor, might be easier with the battery out of the way. The advantage of this method is you don't have to worry about prying the cap off the fill tube and breaking it.

The drain plug uses either a 5mm or 6mm hex. There is also a overflow tube which you remove that uses the same size hex key fully drain the pan. Make sure that overflow tube is reinstalled after taking it out. I would try to catch all the fluid that came out from the pan so you can measure and get an idea how much came out.

Don't know if you have access to a vag-com which is needed to check the transmission fluid temperature. You are suppose to check the level at 35-45C while car is running. You remove the check plug which is the drain plug. The idea is the overflow tube is kind of like a toilet tank overflow pipe. If it comes out as a small steady stream then it is about right. This can be very tricky. If you don't have a vag-com some people just feel the pan when its warm to the touch then its about body temperature. From my experience it takes around 3.25-3.5 quarts for a fluid and filter change. I cannot say if this is the right way but if you measured how much came out then you have an idea how much to pour back in.

Here are some links for how to change the fluid/filter on the 01M. Its not too difficult just make sure you are familiar with the procedure. Good luck.
http://www.kansascitytdi.com/01M Filter change.htm
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=288052

Like someone mentioned above, you can change the front differential fluid while you are at it. Takes slightly under a quart of 75W-90 gear oil. It does not have a drain plug so you have to pump it out.

This is located towards the firewall in the middle, you will see some sort of silver jacketed sleeve. Lift that up and you see the speedometer drive sensor. You have to first remove the speedometer drive sensor. It is composed of two parts, one is the actual sensor which you loosen first to remove. Then the speedometer drive is removed. I forget what size exactly but you could use a deep socket, you might be able to get by using a wrench since there is clearance. Note the speedometer drive serves as a dipstick (fancy) to tell you the level of the differential.

Thank you guys for the help. Especially the links. Looks pretty straight forward as far as the filter goes. The only issue is not having a vag com but I've done other vehicles that state temps also and I usually just run up to operating temp and try to use an infrared temp gun to get close.

I have a garden sprayer pump I've been working on for a ATF pump for these newer vehicles with crazy filling methods. Just need to finish making the hose/valve/filler ends. Looks like a good job for doing that.

I will have to look into the diff fluid change also. Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited:
I know this is an older tread but I thought I would add to the topic for posterity sake.

The Wolfshead Full synthetic multi vehicle ATF is a newer product and meets the VW spec G 052 162 A2...... and others as well. Made it the US and reasonably priced.

http://www.wolfshead.com/assets/3b_wolfshead-univsynatf-030515.pdf

When is comes to filling the ATF to the spec'ed level you can use an IR non contact thermometer on the tranny pan and target a surface temp of 86 deg. F. I know some said they just feel the pan for a warm temp but this takes a bit of subjectivity out of it.

It must have some tolerance for a bit more or less.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back