Hydraulic fluid question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting ready to change the hydraulic oil in my 2-105 White field boss tractor. And was wondering what the best choice of hydraulic fluid for the money would be? I live in central Missouri so we have hot and cold weather. I have been looking at Orschelns universal heavy duty hydraulic fluid. It's on sale for $42 for 5 gal. Let me no what you guys think. And what brands you like. Thanks

Keep in mind that tractor hydraulic oil is different from industrial hydraulic oil. The wet clutches in the tractor require specific friction modifiers that industrial hydraulics don't use.

The info I have suggests these require a very light weight hydraulic fluid, ISO 32 so like ATF. Universal tractor fluid is usually heavier so maybe not optimal.

I believe you would be fine using any ISO 32 rated hydraulic oil in your application. I use a car lift that takes ISO 32 for its pump. As long as you replace as needed, you should be good.

I personally believe replacing at regular intervals in hydraulic units with any rated oil is better than paying for the marketing claims of certain oils.

As for engine oils, I personally only use name brand, high quality synthetics in my applications.

Go to an agco/Massey ferguson dealer and get what fluid is speced for it. Unless whatever universal fluid you find meets the right specs.

Wet clutches and power shifts in tractors can be picky.

Last edited:
Quote:
I am getting ready to change the hydraulic oil in my 2-105 White field boss tractor. And was wondering what the best choice of hydraulic fluid for the money would be?

Is the hydraulic system separate from the wet clutches in the transmission?

If it IS, then you need an AW hydraulic fluid equal to the speced viscosity.

If it is NOT, and it shares the fluid with the wet clutches in the transmission, then what you need is a Tractor Hydraulic and Transmission Fluid, such as MobilFluid 424, Valvoline Universal Tractor Hydraulic Fluid, MAG1 Universal Tractor Hydraulic Fluid, Shell Rotella® HD Universal Hydraulic Fluid, Amsoil ATH, and the such like.

The 100C viscosity value of Tractor Hydraulic and Transmission Fluid is usually rated at 9.3cSt@100C.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back