After the Military, College, Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been looking at different schools and such so when and if I get out of the Army, I can start a successful career path.
Regardless, Long story, here it goes.

I graduated High School in 2010. Never took a SAT or ACT, I did graduate with Honors at a 3.4GPA.
I stink at math. Royally. ALG1 and ALG2 were both passed with a 60D, and that was generosity from the teachers. I took my third year of math, Liberal Arts Math, and passed it with a B average my Junior Year. No math classes my senior year.
Everything else was fine, just the Math that bugged me.
other normal requirements for colleges are there. Science was fine, History grades were amazing, French 1 and 2 were decent. English was good. I did take a lot of Culinary Arts classes over 4 years (8 of them) main elective of mine. Part of FCCLA, State competitions a few years as well.

My passions changed from cooking, and I was okay with that.
Being a naïve 17-18 year old at the time, I started working. Worked at Racetrac Petroleum from 2010 after graduation till October 2012 when I left for the Army.

With my contract ending in a few years or so, not sure on reenlistment, I've looked here and there into colleges, atleast maybe my AA on tuition assistance online. Most likely getting my BA with the GI BILL

Needless to say, a lot of colleges seem very picky on certain things. Never took geometry in high school, again bad math student, and they don't recognize liberal arts math as a course.. As they usually require 3 years of high school math ALG1 and above, they consider Liberal Arts Math to be under ALG1.

Being a guy who doesn't learn real well out of a book, Ive looked into tech schools, academies, etc.

UTI Seems to be a top notch program that is very veteran friendly. As does most police and fire science academies.

Leaning a lot towards UTI in regards to the almost guaranteed turn around on graduations there. I dislike constant bookwork, if it interests me Im for it, no issues, Im cool with it. Book work combined with hands on is what UTI offers.

The programs there are fairly well organized, Auto or Diesel would be my top choices. Diesel moreso but Auto might not be too bad.

Question is, What should I do? College, Tech School, or a Academy such as Police/Fire?
If I go the Degree route in a college, Education would be my choice, with History as a minor.
Tech School would be a Automotive schooling, with Diesel as a main choice, maybe automotive. UTI Offers Ford and a plethora of other manufacturers as well.
Academy would be police.
Finding a veteran friendly school as well is a task. I know most schools accept veterans, but a school that has a Veterans Admission that's not quite as confusing as some. UTI has a great thing going for Vets, and I applaud them for that.

Whats yalls opinion?

Quote: "With my contract ending in a few years or so"

I think this pretty much sums it up.

You just got in and are already looking to get out?

Mechanic or cop would be my choice for steady work.

Being mediocre at math might actually make you a pretty good teacher-- the worst teachers get the material too easily, only have one way to explain it, and stare at the students and rant that they should just "get it" and put their noses to the grindstone more.

I was really bad in math as well both in HS and college. Very tough later if you don't have the understanding early on. I'd agree w/Eljefino (about cop or mechanic.) You want job security w/good/decent pay and hopefully a pension. The military offers that but it seems you have no desire to re-inlist. Very hard getting a full time teaching position and you'd need your BA degree (at least). I would not go that route. Ask around and see if you can make contacts. Volunteer your time and effort if possible. Show enthusiasm and the desire to succeed and you will. Good Luck!

Don't sweat the math. I had every stinkin' math course twice in life. It will come to you. Every once in a while, I find myself working a numbers problem and getting the solution. Then I look at the problem and think to myself "hey, that was algebra" (I always stank at algebra). Thank the teachers, something got through my thick head!

If you are current enlisted don't you already have the opportunity take college courses through the eArmyU, GoArmyEd and College of the American Soldier?

It's a no brainer-take college courses and get a degree while you are still enlisted instead of waiting until you end your military career. Then when your due for reenlistment, you have the choice of taking your skills into the civilian world or continuing on and making the military a career.

As far as taking classes at one of those "As Seen On TV advertisements" schools, I'd think twice about attending one. If you think you'll be happy being a mechanic your entire life then by all means it may be a good solution for you. But if you really think that you'd be happy being a mechanic when you're 40, 50 or even 60 years old you should first talk with 40, 50 and 60 year old mechanics. Most of them seem to be pretty disillusioned with their career choice.

And needless to say, if you do what you love you'll never work a day in your life. It's a bit of a cliche, but it still holds a lot of truth. Would you really be happy spending a life as either a mechanic or a police officer?

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
If you are current enlisted don't you already have the opportunity take college courses through the eArmyU, GoArmyEd and College of the American Soldier?

It's a no brainer-take college courses and get a degree while you are still enlisted instead of waiting until you end your military career. Then when your due for reenlistment, you have the choice of taking your skills into the civilian world or continuing on and making the military a career.

Exactly, nothing wrong with planning ahead, but make that GI plan work for you. Thanks for your service!

My is currently deployed and celebrated his 8 year anniversary in the Navy last week. Last time we spoke he planed on staying in at least 20 years, longer if possible.

In Illinois no state college can turn away a veteran....ACT/SAT scores or not.

Find out if your state is the same.

Get a trade....

What is your MOS in the army?
If I was your position I would go to trade school and learn a trade (HVAC, plumbing etc...) there are far too many college graduates with no work and lot's of bills.
I ask about your MOS because many of these trades can be learned in the army.
Thanks for serving.

My advice would be to take every single civil service test you are eligible for. The experience taking them is worth the filing fee. I have 6 years left of the whole cop thing. Best job ever, worst job ever; all depends on the day. If you pick the right place the $'s are there and the benefits are tremendous when you add them up post retirement.

Key is 20 years and OUT! My retirement, when taxes taken into account will be $250 less than my take home pay now. And I will have (family until age 25) free health care for life. The key is the second career. I plan on law school in 2 years.

I would also suggest you give some thought to a associate degree with the goal of transferring to a 4 year....but this is only if you need to save a few dollars on tuition. If you can get into a 4year with a post mil program perfect.

I caution against a criminal justice degree in whole. Consider a major in liberal arts and a minor in criminal justice. If not you will be locked into your degree. Just thoughts for you to consider.

This, see if you can take the math courses this way. Nothing like getting a start on an education if you want one. And if you find it's not your thing, or not your thing yet, you are still in uniform.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

As far as taking classes at one of those "As Seen On TV advertisements" schools, I'd think twice about attending one. If you think you'll be happy being a mechanic your entire life then by all means it may be a good solution for you. But if you really think that you'd be happy being a mechanic when you're 40, 50 or even 60 years old you should first talk with 40, 50 and 60 year old mechanics. Most of them seem to be pretty disillusioned with their career choice.

And needless to say, if you do what you love you'll never work a day in your life. It's a bit of a cliche, but it still holds a lot of truth. Would you really be happy spending a life as either a mechanic or a police officer?

UTI is a good choice. My brother did it and loved it. He's making pretty good money as a mechanic now. Trades are a good too, I'm in the trades and there is going to be a shortage of tradesmen in the future, as a lot of kids are choosing 4 year colleges over joining the trades. Check out sprinkler fitting they make pretty good money, as do plumbers, hvac, electricians, etc.

Originally Posted By: Benzed

Give the guy credit. He's taking responsibility for his direction in life and planning his future. Most colleges have a long application cycle, so if he wants to enroll in a particular program he needs to start thinking and planning now. He's going about this the right way.

Most large municipal police agencies require college now, while not necessarily a degree at least 50 hours is the norm. Fortunately you are still young and appears you have a plan and that is most important, most college students your age change their major twice a year. There are many options out there that are respectable and will provide you a good living. My best advice is to do what you love and love what you do.

As a former paratropper that has been there and done that, my advice:

1. Find something that you like, do not worry about the money
2. Govt jobs are the way to go in this economy and the federal government has programs to get vets hired, look at usajobs.gov
3. Get your education, you earned it, do not worry about the math, schools have tutors available

Govt jobs will eventually kill the country. Your #1 contradicts your #2

I've found that a good tradesman (contractor, plumber, electrician, HVAC, mechanic etc) who is honest & good will always have to turn down work.

An honest day's work will pay more than adequately and give you self-esteem.

While you are on active duty take care of your electives such as English, Math, and Social Sciences. Set up a appointment with your Army College office and talk to one of the advisers there. Agree to a plan to knock your courses out using your tuition assistance it will be little or no cost to you to pay for your courses. It will not be easy but you can do it while on Active Duty.

While you are there you can look over your training that you have completed and find out how many college credits you have earned.

For example because of the training that I have received for over 11 years of service I have 55 college credits for towards a B.S. in Information Technology Management and have 57 credits for a B.A. in Business Management. To earn my degree in both requires 120 credits. So I was already nearly half the way there.
The point is more education can not hurt you at all and if you decide to attend college after completion of your service the more education you complete now the less you will have to do latter.

You situation is likely different than mine. I am willing to wager a Coke you have earned more college credits than you realize.

Originally Posted By: Benzed

this comment.
reasons like this are why I rarely ever come to BITOG anymore.
2016 I Get out. Early 2016.
I served my time, did a tour in Afghanistan,
Do what I do, then judge me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back