Honda 15400-PLM-A01PE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea Yea I know people have talked about the 15400-PLM-A01 vs the 15400-PLM-A02

aka

A01 vs A02 and most will agree the oil filter made by filtech the A01 is a better filter but hard to find.

Well I found 15400-PLM-A01PE and it says made by Filtech

Honda Oil Filter 15400-PLM-A01PE

Replaces part numbers 15400-PLM-A02, 15400-PLM-A01,15400-ZJ1-004 and 15400-P0H-305. Part number 15400-PLM-A01PE is currently made by Filtech

xxx.parkeryamaha.com/hondaoilfilter15400-plm-a01pe.aspx

Wondering if anyone has tried this filter???

Since A01 are hard to find and if you find one on Amazon they will ship you the A02

Any thoughts?

Also I bought at NAPA the Ultra Brand 8 / NIPPON Oil Filter and I remember it said on box

Honda 15400-P0H-305

just wondering if anyone has used this filter before or and if its the same as the A01

Thanks

I haven't used the A01, used the A02 with no issues at all despite the bashing it gets due to who makes it. I did see a thread a month or so ago on the NIppon filter and it seemed to be a well built filter. You aren't going to run into any issues with any of these filters.

Originally Posted By: Roob
I haven't used the A01, used the A02 with no issues at all despite the bashing it gets due to who makes it. I did see a thread a month or so ago on the NIppon filter and it seemed to be a well built filter. You aren't going to run into any issues with any of these filters.

Yea I know and trust the A02 and as you said you saw the NIPPON aka Ultra Brand 8 they sell at Napa and they are a TANK of a oil filter...... However I miss the goodole days when you would buy a A01 made by filtech...

and If I can find some I buy them......

Just wondering if anyone else has used one..

b/c I know that oil filter is sold for motor cycles and other Honda Engines.. but all in all is the same as a A01 and is FILTECH.

Personally the Honda A01 vs A02 will never be over.. People will always perfer the A01 over the A02 if they can find it.. Heck I know people who order the HEMP oil filters in groups of 10 for 70$

anways.. just wondering if anyone has used one of the filters Im talking about or better yet show one cut open.

Thanks

If you found a A01 would you jump at the chance of useing it?

Also did you ever try the Ultra 8 / Nippon Oil filter that I opened when it was new?

Again.. If you went to the dealer and the part man came out and says.. WOW I found a A01 and a A02 for you car.. They are the same price.. What filter would you buy?

A01 or A02 ???

TBH I wouldn't jump at the chance to try the A01. Would I try it if it was available at my next OCI? Sure I would.
I haven't used the Nippon or Ultra 8 filter yet.
Around here if a parts guy found the A01 they'd probably keep it to themselves!!!!
grin.gif

That being said, I'd more likely get the A01 and store it.....

TBH I wouldn't jump at the chance to try the A01. Would I try it if it was available at my next OCI? Sure I would.
I haven't used the Nippon or Ultra 8 filter yet.
Around here if a parts guy found the A01 they'd probably keep it to themselves!!!!
grin.gif

That being said, I'd more likely get the A01 and store it.....

I found a guy at Amazon that is selling the A01s for $6.55 each.

and I the seller a email via Amoazon email system and sent him a picture of the A02 and the A01 and told him if he could make sure he has the A01. He said he has the A01. However sometimes he runs out of the A01s and has sent a A02 to a few people on mistake..

However he assured me I would get the A01s

I just like the ole days.. and most will agree the A01 is a better filter then the A02

So, did anyone ever actually determine the difference between A01 and A01PE?

Are A01 filters of any type still being made, or are they all NOS now?

The OE filter on my HAH was actually a Honda marked Mahle filter, made in Japan.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

The OE filter on my HAH was actually a Honda marked Mahle filter, made in Japan.

Mostly speculating here but not completely uneducated speculation. The PE suffix looks to be the power-sports edition of the A01. Can't speak to construction differences if any between it and the A01. Some info says also made by Filtech though. Between the two, I'd stick with A01 for a Honda vehicle.

As for A01 still being made or NOS (had to look that one up), HandA Accessories has been selling the A01 exclusively for a long time and continues to advertise and sell them. Says all they ship. Based on that, I conclude they are new stock and still being made.

PE is "Power Equipment".

Most post I can find speculate that it is the same but as far as I can find no one has cut one open.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Mostly speculating here but not completely uneducated speculation. The PE suffix looks to be the power-sports edition of the A01. Can't speak to construction differences if any between it and the A01. Some info says also made by Filtech though. Between the two, I'd stick with A01 for a Honda vehicle.

As for A01 still being made or NOS (had to look that one up), HandA Accessories has been selling the A01 exclusively for a long time and continues to advertise and sell them. Says all they ship. Based on that, I conclude they are new stock and still being made.

Those Honda by Fram filters on that website look nice, lot of pleats compared to Fram EG. The end caps aren't cardboard, strike one on their marketing language. Those are nice prices they have.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
...Those Honda by Fram filters on that website look nice, lot of pleats compared to Fram EG. The end caps aren't cardboard, strike one on their marketing language. Those are nice prices they have.

Just as point of information, I don't use either as standard practice. Don't think I've ever used/purchased an A01, only the Fram made A02. The latter always dealer installed when I have, generally as part of some excellent dealer oil and filter change promo. Most dealers around here and most places I assume use the A02.

However being a Honda owner for about two decades now, pretty aware of best places to get Honda parts online, H and A noted for selling the A01. H and A prices are pretty good, but must remember to add in shipping to get total cost. In my observation, shipping can be a little steep to my area, east coast.

Yeah, I was looking at buying some A01 filters from them until they tried to charge me $18+ for a six pack.

You can get a ten pack of A02 shipped free with Amazon prime for $56. Also the A01PE can be had in five packs for $33 on Amazon,mouth that's getting pricey, especially when you can get Napa platinum for $7.50, M1 for practically free with MIR deals at the auto parts stores, and FU for $8.97 all day long at WM.

Sayjac, what do you typically and prefer to run on Hondas? Do you do the two oci to one filter? I'm considering doing it on the odyssey since the MM oci is only around 5000 miles.

^^^^^Currently I'm running an Bosch Dist. Plus, last in stash that I've had for awhile. With other better options now at the same or lower price point hard to recommend them now. Before the tear spate used almost exclusively P1 PL14610, never had an issue in 6500-7500 mile MM ocis. Most recently though I've been getting Napa Gold 7356 for less than $4 at Napa semi annual sale. I find they are a good fit for one MM oci at noted miles.

But if you are considering doing the Honda recommended every other 5k oci filter change, the Ultra is good choice. All thing considered including efficiency and holding capacity, likely the best for that. M1 would be also be good. I've only done two ocis once with a BD+ 3323 to 13.5k miles, filter looked great.

All things considered including but not limited to efficiency I've not found the OEMs to be anything special. Unless you just happen to particularly like or trust only oem, IMO not worth it chase them.

As for Napa Plat/Wix XP, somewhat controversial on this subforum. Efficiency beta at Wix site says 50%@20um, so unloved by some here. That said, would be fine for two 5k ocis and I suspect based on info known about the OEM efficiency, Platinum/XP at least as good as those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back