Barrel life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jcwit
Another highly recommended rod is the Ivy Rod

http://www.ivyrods.com/CleaningRODS.htm

Nothing against the Dewey rod, in fact it's what I use also, I just see so many bench shooters praising the Ivy rod.

They make a nice rod. When it comes time to replace the rod I clean my 6.5x284 with I'll be giving an Ivy rod a try.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

As an experiment this morning, I cleaned my Garand with a bore snake. Subsequent patches run through came out dirty. The shape of the receiver precludes running a patch from the chamber forward, like I usually do, so I carefully ran them from the muzzle back using my brass rod and keeping it from hitting the crown.

I keep an Otis flex cable in my kit for my Garand. Pull a few solvent wet patches through then a barrel squeegee and follow up with a cotton bore swab with CLP. Bore looks mirror bright every time, no way it causes more damage than the firing.

I have a Mossberg 144LSb, 22LR target, 26 inch barrel.

It is a beater gun, 50 years old, and has had many, many rounds through it. Gets used regularly.

I'm not joking when I say that it actually had a bent barrel. I straightened it in the press and checked it in my lathe. The rounds would "stick" occasionally, right where the bend used to be. So I used valve grinding compound and velocitor ammo to "clean" the bore of it's "hard spot".

Worked like a charm. The rifling is rounded, the wear is visible and the gun has loose tolerances. However, it's stunningly accurate now. Absolutely match quality.

My point is this, even a worn barrel can be exceptionally accurate with 22's.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I have a Mossberg 144LSb, 22LR target, 26 inch barrel.

It is a beater gun, 50 years old, and has had many, many rounds through it. Gets used regularly.

I'm not joking when I say that it actually had a bent barrel. I straightened it in the press and checked it in my lathe. The rounds would "stick" occasionally, right where the bend used to be. So I used valve grinding compound and velocitor ammo to "clean" the bore of it's "hard spot".

Worked like a charm. The rifling is rounded, the wear is visible and the gun has loose tolerances. However, it's stunningly accurate now. Absolutely match quality.

My point is this, even a worn barrel can be exceptionally accurate with 22's.

Wow interesting that its accurate. I would have to wonder if there is a velocity drop with that barrel. Its cool that you could salvage what I, and most others would have thrown out.

Last edited:
All depends what one's idea of "accurate" is.

It's a .22, OK, can you put 5 rounds in a hole .230 at its largest point?

add to the mix is the heat like mag drops as in cooking off mag after mag ....a mad minute shooting ....and use of sweet 762 and a few others which have acid in them which is very bad for the barrel !!

Sweet 762 has ammonia, which is a base, the opposite of an acid. Yes it will attack barrel steel tho.

Seldom does one shooting for accuracy races to empty the mag. In fact all my highly accurate rifles are single shot.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Seldom does one shooting for accuracy races to empty the mag. In fact all my highly accurate rifles are single shot.

+1 as are mine. The magazine has been "blocked" and one cartridge at a time is fed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back